Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: summing numbers in files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting summing numbers in files Post 302220092 by pattywac on Thursday 31st of July 2008 12:10:04 AM
Old 07-31-2008
summing numbers in files

I am trying to take two files and add the numbers from each. There is a total of 5192 numbers in each file and I want to add them row by row... ie. first row of file 1 + first row of file 2 = first row of output. Eventually I will be summing 40401 of these files together but starting with 2 just for tests. This is what I have so far:

Code:
#!/bin/csh
#
set a = `more blankdata.txt`
@ n = 0

while( $n < 2 )
    @ counter = 1
    set m = `more out.$n`

while( $counter < 5193 )

set a[$counter] = `echo $a[$counter]+$m[$counter]|bc`
    @ counter ++
    end

@ n ++

end

If I run this I get the following error:
"(standard_in) 1: illegal character: |
(standard_in) 1: parse error"

Any help is appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

altering numbers in files

I want to change a number in a file into number -1.. for instance file_input is fdisdlf_s35 fdjsk_s27 fsdf_s42 jkljllljkkl_s57 ... etc now i want the output to be fdisdlf_s34 fdjsk_s26 fdsf_s41 jkljllljkkl_s56 ... etc I was think of using "sed -e 's/2/1/g' -e 's/3/2/g' -e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigboizvince
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To get unique numbers from two files

here i have two files: file 1 1 2 3 4 5 5 6 7 8 9 file 2 4 5 6 6 8 8 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.scientist
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading several files and summing their content line-by-line

Hey, I am gettin a bit crazy with my script. I have several input datas with the same name (5.ill) in different folders (daysim_01, daysim_02, etc.). The 4. column of each of the data has to be summed with each other and then hass to be written in one new file. So file1: 1 1 0 1 2 1 1 2 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum Numbers from different files

Hi All, I need to print the sum of numbers from different files. Input files: file1.out 10 20 30 file2.out 10 20 30 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing numbers after specific word

Hi all, Looking for suggestions on a better way to sum numbers in a key value pair formated file. What I have works but seems really clunky to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. cat test.txt | perl -ne 'm/(M=)(\d+\.?\d?\d?)/ && print "$2\n"' | awk '{ sum+=$1} END {printf... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgol
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiply numbers from different files

Hi All, I have tried few things with this but it did not help much. I have some 200,000 files in a directory. There are two sets of files. 1. Files with extension .dat with file names like these (1.dat, 2.dat, 5.dat, 8.dat....200000.dat) 2. Another set of files with .txt extension and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

summing from two different files

I have two files hhhh 3674.00 a 75 1535 183 2134 291 2452 442 2738 704 3048 a 1007 3549 1282 4413 1494 5001 1631 5217 1954 5610 a 2540 5832 3248 6080 3629 6264 4851 6600 7004 6985 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take a Average of numbers from different files?

Hi, I have 3 to 4 different files, from that i need to take a Average of numbers from a particular column. here i have to take 4th column, that should present in diff. file. File 1: Col1 col2 col3 col4 1 11 sa 12.00 2 22 sb 134.59 3 33 sc 11.99 4 44 sd 12.44 Col1 col2 col3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of numbers in three or more files

I have files : cat file1 15 88 44 667 33 4cat file2 445 66 77 3 56 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing up values of rows of numbers

data file contains failed=24 error=23 error=163 failed=36 error=903 i need to get a total count of each value above. i'm looking for the most efficient method to do this as the datafile i provided is just a sample. the actual data can be several hundred thousands of lines. so from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
GLGETACTIVEATOMICCOU(3G)					   OpenGL Manual					  GLGETACTIVEATOMICCOU(3G)

NAME
glGetActiveAtomicCounterBufferiv - retrieve information about the set of active atomic counter buffers for a program C SPECIFICATION
void glGetActiveAtomicCounterBufferiv(Gluint program, GLuint bufferIndex, GLenum pname, GLint *params); PARAMETERS
program The name of a program object from which to retrieve information. bufferIndex Specifies index of an active atomic counter buffer. pname Specifies which parameter of the atomic counter buffer to retrieve. params Specifies the address of a variable into which to write the retrieved information. DESCRIPTION
glGetActiveAtomicCounterBufferiv retrieves information about the set of active atomic counter buffers for a program object. program is the name of a program object for which the command glLinkProgram() has been issued in the past. It is not necessary for program to have been linked successfully. The link may have failed because the number of active atomic counters exceeded the limits. bufferIndex specifies the index of an active atomic counter buffer and must be in the range zero to the value of GL_ACTIVE_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFERS minus one. The value of GL_ACTIVE_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFERS for program indicates the number of active atomic counter buffer and can be queried with glGetProgram(). If no error occurs, the parameter(s) specified by pname are returned in params. If an error is generated, the contents of params are not modified. If pname is GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_BINDING, then the index of the counter buffer binding point associated with the active atomic counter buffer bufferIndex for program is returned. If pname is GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_DATA_SIZE, then the implementation-dependent minimum total buffer object size, in baseic machine units, required to hold all active atomic counters in the atomic counter binding point identified by bufferIndex is returned. If pname is GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_ACTIVE_ATOMIC_COUNTERS, then the number of active atomic counters for the atomic counter buffer identified by bufferIndex is returned. If pname is GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_ACTIVE_ATOMIC_COUNTER_INDICES, then a list of the active atomic counter indices for the atomic counter buffer identified by bufferIndex is returned. The number of elements that will be written into params is the value of GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_ACTIVE_ATOMIC_COUNTERS for bufferIndex. If pname is GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_REFERENCED_BY_VERTEX_SHADER, GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_REFERENCED_BY_TESS_CONTROL_SHADER, GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_REFERENCED_BY_TESS_EVALUATION_SHADER, GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_REFERENCED_BY_GEOMETRY_SHADER, GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_REFERENCED_BY_FRAGMENT_SHADER, GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_REFERENCED_BY_COMPUTE_SHADER then a boolean value indicating whether the atomic counter buffer identified by bufferIndex is referenced by the vertex, tessellation control, tessellation evaluation, geometry, fragment or compute processing stages of program, respectively, is returned. NOTES
glGetActiveAtomicCounterBufferiv is available only if the GL version is 4.2 or higher. GL_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFER_REFERENCED_BY_COMPUTE_SHADER is available only of the GL version is 4.3 or higher. ERRORS
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if program is not the name of a program object for which glLinkProgram() has been called in the past. GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if bufferIndex is greater than or equal to the value of GL_ACTIVE_ATOMIC_COUNTER_BUFFERS for program. GL_INVALID_ENUM is generated if pname is not one of the accepted tokens. SEE ALSO
glGetProgram(), glGetActiveSubroutineUniform(), glGetActiveSubroutineUniformName(), glGetUniformLocation() COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Khronos Group. This material may be distributed subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication License, v 1.0, 8 June 1999. http://opencontent.org/openpub/. AUTHORS
opengl.org opengl.org 06/10/2014 GLGETACTIVEATOMICCOU(3G)