Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ethernet packets counting
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ethernet packets counting Post 302219935 by ramen_noodle on Wednesday 30th of July 2008 12:22:50 PM
Old 07-30-2008
The raw interface (SOCK_RAW) or libpcap (SourceForge.net: The libpcap project).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending packets

How can i send a packet, and what is an empty packet? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Avatar0fEvil
8 Replies

2. IP Networking

Redirecting outgoing packets

I'd like to find out how to redirect Outbound packets. So instead of having packets go to IP1 as they normally would, have them go to IP2 instead. I believe this is possible using IPFW but I'm not sure. I've played with it, but haven't gotten too far. Any ideas would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seraph
1 Replies

3. Programming

Packets Getting Lost

I am working on a project, which has the following type of hardware setup. A special hardware device is receiving data from an external network interface. So we can have multiple such a hardware devices. Now these hardware devices will route the captured incoming data through the external... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.P.Prasad
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

counting the packets

there are a number of clients connected to a server.... how can i count that each clients recieve ...? how do i moniter the activity of the client..? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damn_bkb
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumping network packets

Hi, My Solaris Workstation has got 4 NICS, out of which one of them(bge3) is unplugged from the rest of the external network & connected to other interface(bge1). The isolated NIC serves as a simulated Ethernet Interface for my application under development. Now, I'd like to capture RAW... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smanu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

send packets

Hello I need to send some packets to check connection. Packets will be catch by snoop. Is there any Sun tool to send some packets on selected IP and Port? Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miojamo
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

packets statistics

Hi there, are there any functions that can get the packets statistics on UNIX ? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank2004
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

Missing packets between interfaces

I'm having issues with packets dropping somewhere on my firewall, between eth0 and eth2. Firewall is an Astaro box, essentially a pretty gui on top of modified sles10 using iptables. I started looking into this when people started reporting issues with their ssh connections to a particular... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demosthenes
3 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

Accept SNMP Packets...

hi guys I've configured snmp on some linux snmpd.conf rocommunity com_read x.x.x.10 rwcommunity com_write x.x.x.10 Now one of my coworkers asked to do the same that he does on windows for my linux.... But I have no idea how to configure that basically when SNMP is configure there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
5 Replies

10. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies
PCAP-SAVEFILE(5)						File Formats Manual						  PCAP-SAVEFILE(5)

NAME
pcap-savefile - libpcap savefile format DESCRIPTION
NOTE: applications and libraries should, if possible, use libpcap to read savefiles, rather than having their own code to read savefiles. If, in the future, a new file format is supported by libpcap, applications and libraries using libpcap to read savefiles will be able to read the new format of savefiles, but applications and libraries using their own code to read savefiles will have to be changed to support the new file format. ``Savefiles'' read and written by libpcap and applications using libpcap start with a per-file header. The format of the per-file header is: +------------------------------+ | Magic number | +--------------+---------------+ |Major version | Minor version | +--------------+---------------+ | Time zone offset | +------------------------------+ | Time stamp accuracy | +------------------------------+ | Snapshot length | +------------------------------+ | Link-layer header type | +------------------------------+ All fields in the per-file header are in the byte order of the host writing the file. The first field in the per-file header is a 4-byte magic number, with the value 0xa1b2c3d4. The magic number, when read by a host with the same byte order as the host that wrote the file, will have the value 0xa1b2c3d4, and, when read by a host with the opposite byte order as the host that wrote the file, will have the value 0xd4c3b2a1. That allows software reading the file to determine whether the byte order of the host that wrote the file is the same as the byte order of the host on which the file is being read, and thus whether the values in the per-file and per-packet headers need to be byte- swapped. Following this are: A 2-byte file format major version number; the current version number is 2. A 2-byte file format minor version number; the current version number is 4. A 4-byte time zone offset; this is always 0. A 4-byte number giving the accuracy of time stamps in the file; this is always 0. A 4-byte number giving the "snapshot length" of the capture; packets longer than the snapshot length are truncated to the snapshot length, so that, if the snapshot length is N, only the first N bytes of a packet longer than N bytes will be saved in the capture. a 4-byte number giving the link-layer header type for packets in the capture; see pcap-linktype(7) for the LINKTYPE_ values that can appear in this field. Following the per-file header are zero or more packets; each packet begins with a per-packet header, which is immediately followed by the raw packet data. The format of the per-packet header is: +---------------------------------------+ | Time stamp, seconds value | +---------------------------------------+ | Time stamp, microseconds value | +---------------------------------------+ | Length of captured packet data | +---------------------------------------+ |Un-truncated length of the packet data | +---------------------------------------+ All fields in the per-packet header are in the byte order of the host writing the file. The per-packet header begins with a time stamp giving the approximate time the packet was captured; the time stamp consists of a 4-byte value, giving the time in seconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00:00 UTC, followed by a 4-byte value, giving the time in microseconds since that second. Following that are a 4-byte value giv- ing the number of bytes of captured data that follow the per-packet header and a 4-byte value giving the number of bytes that would have been present had the packet not been truncated by the snapshot length. The two lengths will be equal if the number of bytes of packet data are less than or equal to the snapshot length. SEE ALSO
pcap(3), pcap-linktype(7) 21 October 2008 PCAP-SAVEFILE(5)