Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting append data in a file by using tab delimiter Post 302219879 by Sharmila_P on Wednesday 30th of July 2008 08:54:47 AM
Old 07-30-2008
its not working.
Is there any other way? or is there any other command to write the value into a file with the tab delimiter?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace delimiter : with '\001' in unix data file

HI can any one tell me how to replace a delimiter : with another delimiter '\001' it is a non printable octal character. thanks in adv spandu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandu
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a tab delimiter file

I have a 30 column tab delimited record file. I need to extract the first 10column. The following command to cut was not working cut -f 1-10 -d "\t" filename. Could any one keep on this . Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod.thayil
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to search delimiter tab in a line and replace it

hi every one plz help me i want to search for a line contains tabspace This is a line The should be changed see the above line is seperated with tab space i want to replace that tab space in to # as This is a line#The should be changed i have tried with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating delimiter file & append with cron

I have the following script working fine, and need to generate a file delimiter (with tab or special character) for Excel data import. The script will run every hour in crontab to append the new rows to the delimiter, so that I can collect the data for i.e. a week, which will give me a lot of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

add (append) a column in a tab delimited file

I have a file having the following entries: test1 test2 test3 11 22 33 22 44 66 99 99 44 --- I want to add a column so that the above file becomes: test1 test2 test3 notest 11 22 33 * 22 44 66 * 99 99 44 * --- Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mary271
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a Tab delimiter file to Comma

How can i make a tab delimiter file to a comma delimiter??? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two tab-delimiter files

Hi, I have two files like: file1 chr1 40 chr1 50 chr2 10 chr2 60 file2 chr1 30 chr1 50 chr2 15 chr2 20 and want to get the difference of column 2 when column 1 is the same in both files. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linseyr
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Append an header to a tab delimited file

Dear All, I would like to find an automatic way to add a given code which belong to a class at the end of the column , for example this is my input file: 0610009O20Rik V$VMYB_01 310 (+) 1 0.971 v-Myb V$EVI1_04 782 (-) 0.763 0.834 Evi-1 V$ELK1_02 1966 (-) 1 0.984 Elk-1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to loop file data based on delimiter

My file has data that looks like below: more data.txt I wish to display each string seperated by a delimiter : Expected output: I tried the below but I m not getting every split string on a new line. #!/bin/bash for i in `sed 's/:/\\n/g' data.txt`; do echo -n... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
ECHO(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           ECHO(1)

NAME
echo - display a line of text SYNOPSIS
echo [SHORT-OPTION]... [STRING]... echo LONG-OPTION DESCRIPTION
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output. -n do not output the trailing newline -e enable interpretation of backslash escapes -E disable interpretation of backslash escapes (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If -e is in effect, the following sequences are recognized: \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output e escape f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab NNN byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) xHH byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits) NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Brian Fox and Chet Ramey. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report echo translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/echo> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) echo invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 ECHO(1)