Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Suppress awk warnings
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Suppress awk warnings Post 302219557 by joeyg on Tuesday 29th of July 2008 12:53:57 PM
Old 07-29-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver Without seeing your command text, here is a possible solution:

You can redirect output for standard output and error output. Two examples:

(a) Some commands may echo info back to your screen during/after execution. So, you could do the following

Code:
cd mydir 1>/dev/null

Because during a script execution, the extra stuff is distracting.

(b) One that I use all of the time is with cleaning up files. I don't care if the work file doesn't exist in the example

Code:
rm mytempfile 2>/dev/null

Another example would be in getting a count of files

Code:
filecnt=$(ls -l myftempfile 2>/dev/null | wc -l)

Here I don't care about the error, as filecnt will be set to 0 zero anyway.

So, perhaps you can incorporate some part of this into your awk command.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Sysback Warnings

I am currently running backups using an entry in the crontab redirection the output to a file. From time to time I get a backup complete with Warnings but don't know what the warnings are and they don't appear in the file. Where can I view the warings? Is there a command to view the warnings? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to extract warnings and cautions

I need to extract all "text" from within <WARNING>text</WARNING> and "text" from within <CAUTION>text</CAUTION> tags in an SGML file. I need this separated or formatted in a file so that I can copy and paste the warnings and cautions into a table. Looking for ideas. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScotRite
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to suppress minor C compiler warnings

Hi, I develop code using a few different solaris platforms. I've recently moved to SunOS 5.10 using the following c compiler. Sun C++ 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124863-01 2007/07/25 On this box and these versions I get hundreds of warnings that do not appear of the earlier solaris/c versions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: speedos82
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Not getting warnings!!

I have tried to compile the code on solaris which is bash-3.00$ uname -a SunOS zen 5.7 Generic_106541-37 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80 bash-3.00$ CC -V CC: WorkShop Compilers 5.0 98/12/15 C++ 5.0 when I compile just a simple program, int main() { long kk = 200; int jj = kk; return... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_27
0 Replies

5. AIX

Warnings in AIX

Dear experts, please help in this regard, when i am trying to compile some files for 64 bit in AIX, iam getting this warning "/usr/include/alloca.h", line 34.9: 1540-1401 (I) An unknown "pragma __alloca" is specified. how to solve this warning , what is the significance of this please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle errors and warnings

Hi Guys, I am working on a shell script(main script) where in i have to call another script B and pass parameter to that script. I see that the shell script that is being called in the main script is throwing warnings/fatal errors. So i am just wondering how do i capture these and ask the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stunnerz_84
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing script shows some warnings

Hi, Upon executing the below script ..... #!/bin/sh while read DAYS INDIR OUTDIR do find $INDIR -type f "!" -mtime $DAYS -exec mv {} $OUTDIR \; done </home/Administrator/scripts/tarconfig.sh I got the following error... and the files are transferred to out put folder from input... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul125
9 Replies