Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to display time difference.. Post 302219428 by chihung on Tuesday 29th of July 2008 04:27:33 AM
Old 07-29-2008
It is extremely hard to do it in pure unix shell script.
I came up with my version in perl, python, tcl. I am sure one of these commands is available in your os. IMHO, Tcl is a lot easier to extract timestamp string.

Perl:
Code:
#! /usr/bin/perl

use Time::Local;

while (<>) {
        if ( /(\d\d)\/(\d\d)\/(\d\d) (\d\d):(\d\d):(\d\d)$/ ) {
                $yr=$3+2000; $mth=$1; $day=$2;
                $hh=$4; $mm=$5; $ss=$6;

if (/Begin Hot BACKUP/) {
                        $t0=timelocal($ss,$mm,$hh,$day,$mth,$year);
                }
                if (/End Hot BACKUP/) {
                        $t1=timelocal($ss,$mm,$hh,$day,$mth,$year);
                }
        }
}
print $t1-$t0,"\n";

Python:
Code:
#! /usr/bin/python

import sys
import re
import datetime
import time

for newline in sys.stdin.readlines():
        line=newline.rstrip()
        t=re.findall('(\d\d)/(\d\d)/(\d\d) (\d\d):(\d\d):(\d\d)$',line)
        ts=t[0]
        if t:
                if 'Begin Hot BACKUP' in line:
                        _t=datetime.datetime(int(ts[2])+2000, int(ts[0]), int(ts[1]), int(ts[3]), int(ts[4]), int(ts[5]))
                        t0=int(time.mktime(_t.timetuple()))
                if 'End Hot BACKUP' in line:
                        _t=datetime.datetime(int(ts[2])+2000, int(ts[0]), int(ts[1]), int(ts[3]), int(ts[4]), int(ts[5]))
                        t1=int(time.mktime(_t.timetuple()))

print t1-t0

Tcl:
Code:
#! /usr/bin/tclsh

while { [gets stdin line] >= 0 } {
        if { [regexp {(\d\d/\d\d/\d\d \d\d:\d\d:\d\d)$} $line x ts] } {
                if { [string match {*Begin Hot BACKUP*} $line] } {
                        set t0 [clock scan $ts]
                }
                if { [string match {*End Hot BACKUP*} $line] } {
                        set t1 [clock scan $ts]
                }
        }
}
puts [expr $t1-$t0]

It would be better if you can 'plant' this in your script
Code:
start=`perl -e 'print time()'`
# do your stuff here
end=`perl -e 'print time()`
echo "Total elapsed time in seconds: `expr $end - $start`"

Last edited by chihung; 07-29-2008 at 05:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to display last login date/time?

I was wondering if anyone had a script that would display the last time a user logged into a particular machine. I know about the "last" command, but it gives too much info.... I just wanted to know the last time a user used his/her id. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Ryan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryaneverett5
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating the time difference, when the script was executed and the currenent file

Hi, I has created the shell script in HP_UX 11.23 and using the command, echo $(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S) > $DIR/alert, placing the time of running the script into a file alert. I want to compare the time in the above file alert with the current time.If difference is more than 5 min, then print the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: velocitnitin
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

display time required to complete running script

hi is there any way i can display a countdown time needed to run a script? like load a counter at the beginning of the script with the estimated time and display the counter decrementing till it finishes running the script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare the log and display the time difference..

Hi All, I've written a script which reads all the systems backup information and saves it in a log file. #!/bin/ksh export ORACLE_SID=$1 export primaryhost=$2 export sid=`echo $ORACLE_SID| tr ` RESULTFILE=/oracle/PC9/backupstatus_prod.log LOGP=`ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -l... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to display time

hey folks, i am stuc in this problem. You all might help me out. I want to write a BASH script to display time every 15 seconds using %r field descriptor. And want to clear the window each time before displaying time using clear command. Please help me out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojrsb
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the time difference between two consecutive line in UNIX perl script

Hi All :o, I have some log files which contains these informations: 2013-04-24 09:11:34.018 INFO XXXXXXXXXXXX 2013-04-24 09:11:34.029 INFO YYYYYYYYYYYY 2013-04-24 09:11:34.039 INFO ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 2013-04-24 09:12:21.295 INFO TTTTTTTTTTTTTTT 2013-04-24 09:12:21.489 INFO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shariquehabib
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script - getting Time difference using awk

Hi..I have the data in a file like in this format, and I need the output time difference in seconds by using awk command. Start date/time and end date/time given in column 2,3 & 4,5. Please assist how to write shell script. File1.txt JOB1 10/09/2013 17:42:16 10/09/2013 17:43:46 SU 6202685/1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mprithvi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date / Time difference in shell script

================================================================================ Request ID GMDCOM TIME GMDRRS TIME COM-RRS ================================================================================ <36812974> Tue Oct 1 13:32:40 2013 Tue Oct 1 20:36:42 2013... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghosh_tanmoy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date / Time difference in shell script

Request ID GMDCOMTM GMDRRSTIME GMDRESTIME <36812986> : : :I want to display the date -time difference in other fields. Above I have given for only 1 record. I want to calculate for all the records. (GMCOMTM - GMDRRSTM) ,(GMDRRSTM-GMDRESTM) and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghosh_tanmoy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date time difference in UNIX shell script

There are 2 dates, Tue Oct 1 13:40:19 2013 Sun Sept 30 10:26:23 2013 I have multiple dates like the above one. How do I calculate the date time difference and display in another column in Shell script. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanmoysays
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c command] [-e] [-f] [-q] [-t[=file]] [-V] [-h] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a, --append Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet. -t, --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2011 util-linux