Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to from grep command from a file which contains matching words? Post 302219387 by johnl on Tuesday 29th of July 2008 01:44:03 AM
Old 07-29-2008
Thanks era..It works the way I wanted

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

getting file words as pattern matching

Sir, I want to check for the repation of a user address in a file i used || as my delimiter and want to check repetaip0n of the address that is mailid and then i have to use IMAP and all. How can i do this... I am in linux ...and my file is linux file. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of grep command to extract only the words.

Dear Folks, I am a newbee to UNIX. I want to extract the SQLSTATE from a log file. For example the log file content is SQL0010N The string constant beginning with "' from table1 a, table 2" does not have an ending string delimiter. SQLSTATE=42603 when I give the the command as ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursively Grep particular words among lines from a file

dear experts, Could you please help me to write a command/script to find follwing: from the log file i want to grep "resCode89270200100001552311" after that only "<resultCode>40614</resultCode>" it will be like that: resCode89270200100001552311 <resultCode>40614</resultCode> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep words from output file

Hi, By using shell scripit i have save output in one file. I want to grep two words named CLUSTER and CLUSQMGR from that output file. How to grep that. output file would be having below words TYPE(QCLUSTER) ALTDATE(2010-05-17) CLUSTER(QS.CL.MFT1) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darling
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple words in a single file

Hello All, I'm a newbie/rookie in Shell scipting. I've done oracle export of a table using Export utility. When I do export, it generates 2 files. 1> .dmp file 2> .dmp.log file. In .dmp.log file I have to search for a sentence which goes like '0 records have been inserted' and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samfisher
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for words in file

Hi Please can you help me on this: How to grep for multiple words in a file, BUT for every word found output it to a new line. regards FR (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding pattern matching used in a grep command

I have the following code. I want to remove the --sort=num/num/... and am using grep to exclude it as shown below: I have a bit of problem figuring out the use of - at the front echo "--sort=4/5/6" | grep -ivE '-((sort|group)=+/+(/+)*)$' Now suppose I want to remove --quiet I can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a log file for words listed in separate text file?

Hello, I want to grep a log ("server.log") for words in a separate file ("white-list.txt") and generate a separate log file containing each line that uses a word from the "white-list.txt" file. Putting that in bullet points: Search through "server.log" for lines that contain any word... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to replace matching words defined in one file on another file?

I have file1 and file2 as shown below, file1: ((org14/1-131541:0.11535,((org29/1-131541:0.00055,org7/1-131541:0.00055)1.000:0.10112,((org17/1-131541:0.07344,(org23/1-131541:0.07426,((org10/1-131541:0.00201,org22/1-131541:0.00243)1.000:0.02451, file2: org14=india org29=america... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple words in a file with help of fixed string switch

I have multiple strings in a file which have special character $, when i search strings by ignoring $ with \ using single quotes it returns empty results. My search strings are set char_1($lock) and set new_char_clear_3($unlock) I tried searching with but it returns empty results.However... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: g_eashwar
3 Replies
XZGREP(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZGREP(1)

NAME
xzgrep - search compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
xzgrep [grep_options] [-e] pattern file... xzegrep ... xzfgrep ... lzgrep ... lzegrep ... lzfgrep ... DESCRIPTION
xzgrep invokes grep(1) on files which may be either uncompressed or compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to grep(1). If no file is specified, then standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep(1). When reading from standard input, gzip(1) and bzip2(1) compressed files are not supported. If xzgrep is invoked as xzegrep or xzfgrep then egrep(1) or fgrep(1) is used instead of grep(1). The same applies to names lzgrep, lze- grep, and lzfgrep, which are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. ENVIRONMENT
GREP If the GREP environment variable is set, xzgrep uses it instead of grep(1), egrep(1), or fgrep(1). SEE ALSO
grep(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zgrep(1) Tukaani 2010-09-27 XZGREP(1)