Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Problem with kernel-module-ntfs Post 302219268 by balumankala on Monday 28th of July 2008 05:23:45 PM
Old 07-28-2008
Problem with kernel-module-ntfs

Hi All
Im trying to access the my windows XP NTFS from Redhat linux 4.0 Enterprise edition
I have downloaded the respective rpm
Quote:
kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.9-5.ELsmp-2.1.20-0.rr.4.10.i686.rpm
And im able to install it successfully
Quote:
[root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -ivh kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.9-5.ELsmp-2.1.20-0.rr.4.10.i686.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.########################################### [100%]
Then i have given the following command , but got an error
Quote:
[root@localhost Desktop]# /sbin/modprobe ntfs
FATAL: Module ntfs not found.
Here are my partitions
Quote:
[root@localhost Desktop]# dmesg | grep NTFS
[root@localhost Desktop]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 * 1 2611 20972826 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 2612 30401 223223175 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5 2612 9558 55801746 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda6 9559 16505 55801746 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda7 16506 23452 55801746 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda8 23453 26639 25599546 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda9 26640 26652 104391 83 Linux
/dev/hda10 26653 30401 30113811 8e Linux LVM
And when i give the below command whether NTFS is listed or not, it doesnt show me NTFS,
Quote:
[root@localhost Desktop]# cat /proc/filesystems
nodev sysfs
nodev rootfs
nodev bdev
nodev proc
nodev sockfs
nodev binfmt_misc
nodev usbfs
nodev usbdevfs
nodev futexfs
nodev tmpfs
nodev pipefs
nodev eventpollfs
nodev devpts
ext2
nodev ramfs
nodev hugetlbfs
iso9660
nodev relayfs
nodev mqueue
nodev selinuxfs
ext3
nodev rpc_pipefs
nodev autofs
Please Help me how do i access NTFS partitions from Linux

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse)

Hi All, Is there a max number of slabs that can be used per kernel module? I'm having a tough time finding out that kind of information, but the array 'node_zonelists' (mmzone.h) has a size of 5. I just want to avoid buffer overruns and other bad stuff. Cheers, Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
4 Replies

2. Linux

Kernel sources/module building

Hi All, I've seen people build modules against a certain kernel source (eg in /usr/src/kernels/my_source/) and some people build against the sources in /lib/modules/my_source/build/ What is the difference and are there any benefits to using the /lib/modules source? Regards, Brendan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
0 Replies

3. Linux

How to convert Linux Kernel built-in module into a loadable module

Hi all, I am working on USB data monitoring on Fedora Core 9. Kernel 2.6.25 has a built-in module (the one that isn't loadable, but compiles and links statically with the kernel during compilation) to snoop USB data. It is in <kernel_source_code>/drivers/usb/mon/. I need to know if I can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anitemp
0 Replies

4. Linux

problem with kernel module loading

Hi masters, I am new to linux and unix forum and this is my first forum. So please excuse if I am not giving sufficient information. I will give them on request. I have created a bandwidth manager module. I am using a 2.6.9 kernel and in Red Hat 3.4.3 distribution. But when i run make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

kernel module

Hi All, I need to develop a kernel module which changes the IP address of a package according to its mac address. It would be a sort of L2 Nat. Somebody know if I can do this using netfilter?? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel module compilation problem

I have one big module 2.6.18 kernel mod.c I want to divide this to several files. The problem is to write right Makefile lib1.h lib1.c mod.c mod.c works fine normally but when I divide into several files and try to compile with this makefile obj-m := mod.o mod-objs := lib1.o ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcintom
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Loading Kernel module at boot

Is there any link/tutorial on loading Solaris kernel modules at boot time?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisolin
0 Replies

8. Linux

kernel module parameters

Hi, if I install a module with specific parameter, will this parameters applied next time system boots? for exampe, I want to disable InterruptThrottleRate modprobe e1000e InterruptThrottleRate=0 Is this parameter apllied only for this run, or this module will always use this parameter when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shedon
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel Module Debugging

Question may seem illogical but I still need clarification. Can we debug kernel modules loaded on my target system using kdb / kgdb without using any other system or remote debugging? In other words my question is can we use kdb/kgdb to debug kernel modules running on same system? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

10. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
NTFS-3G.USERMAP(8)					      System Manager's Manual						NTFS-3G.USERMAP(8)

NAME
ntfs-3g.usermap - NTFS Building a User Mapping File SYNOPSIS
ntfs-3g.usermap windows-system-device [other-ntfs-device...] Where windows-system-device is the device containing the Windows system whose users are to be mapped to current Linux system. And other-ntfs-device is another device containing files which are to be accessed both by the Windows mentioned above and current Linux system. the ntfs-3g.usermap command must be started as root, and the designated devices must not be mounted. Typing ntfs-3g.usermap with no args will display a summary of command arguments. DESCRIPTION
ntfs-3g.usermap creates the file defining the mapping of Windows accounts to Linux logins for users who owns files which should be visible from both Windows and Linux. It relies on existing files which were created on Windows, trying to locate significant files and asking which Linux user or group should own them. When a Linux owner or group is requested, the reply may be : - the uid or gid (numeric or symbolic) of Linux owner or group of the file. In that situation, no more file with the same Windows owner will be selected. - or no answer, when not able to define the owner or group. In that situation another file owned by the same Windows user or group may be selected later so that a mapping can be defined. The mappings for standard Windows users, such as "Administrator" or "All Users" are defined implicitly. As a consequence a user mapping should never be defined as Linux root. When there are no more significant files, ntfs-3g.usermap create the mapping file into the file UserMapping in the current directory. This file has to be moved to the hidden directory .NTFS-3G in the root of all the NTFS file systems to be shared between Windows and Linux. This requires the file system to be mounted, but the created file will not be taken into account if not present at mount time, which means the file system has to be unmounted and mounted again for the new mapping file to be taken into account. OPTIONS
No option is defined for ntfs-3g.usermap. EXAMPLES
Map the users defined on the Windows system present on /dev/sda1 : ntfs-3g.usermap /dev/sda1 A detailed example, with screen displays is available on http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/usermap.html EXIT CODES
ntfs-3g.usermap exits with a value of 0 when no error was detected, and with a value of 1 when an error was detected. KNOWN ISSUES
Please see http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/ for common questions and known issues. If you would find a new one in the latest release of the software then please send an email describing it in detail. You can contact the development team on the ntfs-3g-devel@lists.sf.net address. AUTHORS
ntfs-3g.secaudit has been developed by Jean-Pierre Andre. THANKS
Several people made heroic efforts, often over five or more years which resulted the ntfs-3g driver. Most importantly they are Anton Alta- parmakov, Richard Russon, Szabolcs Szakacsits, Yura Pakhuchiy, Yuval Fledel, and the author of the groundbreaking FUSE filesystem develop- ment framework, Miklos Szeredi. SEE ALSO
ntfsprogs(8), attr(5), getfattr(1) ntfs-3g.usermap 1.1.2 February 2010 NTFS-3G.USERMAP(8)