Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: code efficiency for gmtime Post 302218929 by figaro on Sunday 27th of July 2008 03:34:26 PM
Old 07-27-2008
Thank you for your suggestions. Ran a few experiments and came up with the following, which at least meets the terseness standard:
Code:
# get datetime
$strdt = strftime "%Y%m%d%H%M%S", gmtime;

# write to file
$outfile = $strdt . ".txt";
getstore($url, $outfile) or die "Error: Unable to get page $url";

It requires use POSIX qw(strftime);

Note that this solution does not require the use of the subroutine addleadingzero.

Last edited by figaro; 07-27-2008 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: Added reasoning

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

efficiency..

how efficient is it, and how practical is it to call outside programs in a shell script (bash) for small tasks? for example, say i have a script that might preform many tasks, one of those tasks may require root access; rather than implementing inside the script a method to use su or sudo to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve program efficiency (awk)

Hi !! I've finished an awk exercise. Here it is: #!/bin/bash function calcula { # Imprimimos el mayor tamaño de fichero ls -l $1 | awk ' BEGIN { max = $5; # Inicializamos la variable que nos guardará el máximo con el tamaño del primer archivo } { if ($5 > max){ #... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phass
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

The efficiency between GREP and SED???

Hello Everyone! I am a newbie. I'd like to get key lines from a big txt file by Reg Exp, The file is nearly 22MB. GREP or SED?which may be the best choice,more efficient way? or any other best practise? Thank you in advance. Ever:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ever
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File or Folder Efficiency?

I've got this program set up so that it creates files whose unique names specify the jobs their contents describe. In order to retrieve the information inside those files, I have to do a "grep" and awk or sed to extract it. I've just assumed that making a directory with that unique name that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gmark99
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About efficiency of parallel memory allocation

Hello, there. I'm a new beginner to Linux kernel and curious about its memory management. When multiple applications apply for memory space at the same time, how Linux kernel solve the resource contending problem for high performance? I have known that there is a buddy system for allocating and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackwall
4 Replies
Time::gmtime(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					 Time::gmtime(3pm)

NAME
Time::gmtime - by-name interface to Perl's built-in gmtime() function SYNOPSIS
use Time::gmtime; $gm = gmtime(); printf "The day in Greenwich is %s ", (qw(Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun))[ $gm->wday() ]; use Time::gmtime qw(:FIELDS); gmtime(); printf "The day in Greenwich is %s ", (qw(Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun))[ $tm_wday ]; $now = gmctime(); use Time::gmtime; use File::stat; $date_string = gmctime(stat($file)->mtime); DESCRIPTION
This module's default exports override the core gmtime() function, replacing it with a version that returns "Time::tm" objects. This object has methods that return the similarly named structure field name from the C's tm structure from time.h; namely sec, min, hour, mday, mon, year, wday, yday, and isdst. You may also import all the structure fields directly into your namespace as regular variables using the :FIELDS import tag. (Note that this still overrides your core functions.) Access these fields as variables named with a preceding "tm_" in front their method names. Thus, "$tm_obj->mday()" corresponds to $tm_mday if you import the fields. The gmctime() function provides a way of getting at the scalar sense of the original CORE::gmtime() function. To access this functionality without the core overrides, pass the "use" an empty import list, and then access function functions with their full qualified names. On the other hand, the built-ins are still available via the "CORE::" pseudo-package. NOTE
While this class is currently implemented using the Class::Struct module to build a struct-like class, you shouldn't rely upon this. AUTHOR
Tom Christiansen perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Time::gmtime(3pm)