Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements Complex Event Processing RSS News On Patagonia Dinosaurs and Disruptive Technologies Post 302218789 by Linux Bot on Saturday 26th of July 2008 04:40:15 PM
Old 07-26-2008
On Patagonia Dinosaurs and Disruptive Technologies

2008-07-26T20:27:00.009+03:00
Saturday night, at home in Haifa. Today I went along with (most of) my family to visit the fossils of some Patagonia Dinosaurs . The exhibition took place in the local technology museum, and since the last time I've been there, I noticed that they have eliminated the museum's parking lot, asking the visitors to find parking in the center city -- which is not easy even in regular days, and becoming more difficult when many people somehow have the same idea that they wish to spend Saturday noon in looking at old lizards... Anyway, after two rounds I have found a good parking place, making a note that there are soon elections for the mayor of Haifa.

Anyway, looking at the fossils, among the many people who were there, I also looked at a poster explaining the various assumptions why these animals became extinct.

This has drawn me to thinking in two directions -- when will humanity become extinct, and getting back into technology -- when does disruptive technology makes previous technologies obsolete? in our case -- will we have a second (or third) generation of event processing technologies which will be disruptive for everything that exists today ? --- well, we can only speculate at this point, but it is a good topic to think about... This can be one of the topics that we'll ask the senior technologist panel in the EPTS F2F meeting. More - Later.

Source...

UARK(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   UARK(4)

NAME
uark -- Arkmicro Technologies ARK3116 based USB serial adapter SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device uark device ucom Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): uark_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The uark driver supports Arkmicro Technologies ARK3116 based serial adapters. HARDWARE
The uark driver supports the following adapters: o HL USB-RS232 o HugePine USB-UART o KQ-U8A Data Cable o Skymaster USB to RS232 SEE ALSO
tty(4), ucom(4), usb(4) HISTORY
The uark device driver first appeared in OpenBSD 4.0. The first FreeBSD release to include it was FreeBSD 7.0. AUTHORS
The uark driver was written by Jonathan Gray <jsg@openbsd.org>. CAVEATS
Setting hardware flow control is not currently supported. It is not yet known how to ask the hardware to send a break. Arkmicro Technologies do not reply to requests of documentation for their products. BSD
November 15, 2006 BSD