Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing Directory Names for Use as Bash Variables Post 302218753 by aigles on Saturday 26th of July 2008 10:20:01 AM
Old 07-26-2008
A solution with bash (directories names in the form images_#1_#2_Date/) :
Code:
~/images> ls
array.sh          images_1_3_Date/  images_2_3_Date/  images_3_3_Date/  images_4_3_Date/  images_5_3_Date/    invalid_8_9_Date/
images_1_1_Date/  images_2_1_Date/  images_3_1_Date/  images_4_1_Date/  images_5_1_Date/  images_6_7_8_Date/
images_1_2_Date/  images_2_2_Date/  images_3_2_Date/  images_4_2_Date/  images_5_2_Date/  images_Date/
~/images> cat array.sh
numbers=$(ls -p | awk -F'[_/]' '/^images_.*_Date\/$/ && NF==5 {print $2,$3,$0}')

declare -a Array1=( $(echo "$numbers"|awk '{print $1}') )
declare -a Array2=( $(echo "$numbers"|awk '{print $2}') )

for ((i=0; i<${#Array1[*]}; i++))
do
   echo "subdir images_${Array1[$i]}_${Array2[$i]}_Date"
done
~/images> array.sh
subdir images_1_1_Date
subdir images_1_2_Date
subdir images_1_3_Date
subdir images_2_1_Date
subdir images_2_2_Date
subdir images_2_3_Date
subdir images_3_1_Date
subdir images_3_2_Date
subdir images_3_3_Date
subdir images_4_1_Date
subdir images_4_2_Date
subdir images_4_3_Date
subdir images_5_1_Date
subdir images_5_2_Date
subdir images_5_3_Date
~/images>

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Retrieving names of variables passed with -v

I'm an experienced awk user, but this one has me stumped. I have an awk script which is called from a UNIX command line as you'd expect: myscript.awk -v foo=$1 -v bar=$2 filename My question is this: is there a mechanism for determining the names of the -v variables within a script? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Mac
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing file names and then grouping similar files

Hello Friends, I have .tar files which exists under different directories after the below code is run: find . -name "*" -type f -print | grep .tar > tmp.txt cat tmp.txt ./dir1/subdir1/subdir2/database-db1_28112009.tar ./dir2/subdir3/database-db2_28112009.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display only Owner and directory/sub directory names under particular root

hai, I am new to Unix, I have a requirement to display owner name , directory or sub directory name, who's owner name is not equal to "oasitqtc". (here "oasitqtc" is the owner of the directory or sub directory.) i have a command (below) which will display all folders and sub folders, but i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory and extract sub directory names

I am trying to loop through folders and extract the name of the lowest level subfolder I was running the script below, it returns /bb/bin/prd/newyork /bb/bin/prd/london /bb/bin/prd/tokyo I really want newyork london tokyo I couldn't find a standard variable for the lowest level... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: personalt
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specific directory parsing in a directory tree

Hi friends, Hello again :) i got stuck in problem. Is there any way to get a special directory from directory tree? Here is my problm.." Suppose i have one fix directory structure "/abc/xyz/pqr/"(this will be fix).Under this directory structure i have some other directory and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names with variables

Hello everyone We have a problem about searching and copying files with variables. we have variables like $year $jday $date and we want to search the files whose name contain these variables. we tried *$year*$jday*$date or with ? instead of * thank you everyone!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: miriammiriam
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create files with two or more variables in its names?

Hi all, Iam writing a perl script to create many files with variables in their name. i am able to do it, if iam using only one variable. But with two variables the file names are NOT getting generated in the way i want. plz help me out. 1. open(SHW,">divw_unsigned_50_50_$k.reset") or die... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)