Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting globbing, $# is too high after wildcard expansion in bash script Post 302218304 by zoo591 on Thursday 24th of July 2008 11:20:33 PM
Old 07-25-2008
globbing, $# is too high after wildcard expansion in bash script

How can I pass in an argument such as "*.k" to a bash script
without having to double-quote *.k and not having *.k
`glob` to match all files in the pattern?

I tried using noglob in my script but this didn't work the way I thought
it would.. expansion is still occuring, $# is higher than I expect.

Code:
set +o noglob

$# represents *.k pattern after expansion (I dont want that) plus
the other positional parameters that I'm passing in.

Code:
# Test argument count
USAGE="USAGE: $0 <vertical> <src module> <files(s)> "
#
echo $# $0 $1 $2 $3
if [ $# -ne 3 ]
then
   if [ $# -ne 1 -a $1 != "bdat" -a $1 != "cdat" -a $1 != "fdat" -a $1 != "blay" ]
   then
      echo $# $0 $1 $2 $3
      echo $USAGE ; exit 1
   fi
fi

TIA
Zoo591

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk / bash globbing question

I would like to process a list of files matching: GPS*\.xyz with an awk script. I would then like to output the files to GPS*\.xyz.out (e.g. the same file name appended with .out). Something like: awk '{if(NR==1) {offset=-$1}; $1=$1+offset; print }' GPS*.xyz this does exactly what I want EXCEPT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franzke
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Preventing wildcard expansion in "read"

Hi, I'm trying to use "read" to read in SQL lines and then apply to UDB. However KSH is expanding the *'s in the SQL into a list of all the files in the current directory... Anyway to turn this off? while read SQLStatement do echo "Running : " $SQLStatement... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaijin 06
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking high and low variables in a bash script - possible?

Is it possible to have a bash script pick the highest and lowest values of four variables? I've been googling for this but haven't come up with anything. I have a script that assigns variables ($c0, $c1, $c2, and $c3) based on the coretemps from grep/sed statements of sensors. I'd like to also... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard in bash shell script

I tried to use the wildcard '*' in my bash script, but I can not get it work. Here is a simple example (list file names in current directory): ls ./* does not work in my bash script. But it works if I use ls ./ So is there any special syntax to use '*' wildcard in bash script (I tested the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aerosols
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem when concatinating wildcard onto file location in bash script

I am having difficulty with the following script: #! /bin/bash filelist=~/data/${1}* ~/./convertFile $filelist ~/temp/outputEssentially, there are a large number of files in the directory ~/data, each with a four-letter code at the beginning (eg. aaaa001 aaaa002 bbbb001 bbbb002 etc). The... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lears_Fool
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard in bash script

Hi there, I am pretty new to linux scripting so .. I am writing a script to loop through all my directories of sequence files in order to do stuff with them (trimming, normalizing, stuff that one would do with sequence files). Here I need to pick out files that match each other. The files... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jahndavik
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negation in Bash Globbing

$ ls -1 a.1 b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1 $ ls -1 * b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1 $ ls -1 ** a.1 b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1The last result is not as expected. Why? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloszhang
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash expansion

Hello. I cannot write a command without using eval. Any help is welcome Note 1 : What does the function SOMETHING has no importance. Note 2 : What does the command find has no importance. It is an expansion variable problem : where to put or or or anythings else What works (FILTRE_1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal running bash/rsync script does not close with exit (MacOS High SIerra)

Hello, I am running a bash script to do an rsync back on a computer running MacOS High Sierra. This is the script I am using, #!/bin/bash # main backup location, trailing slash included backup_loc="/Volumes/Archive_Volume/00_macos_backup/" # generic backup function function backup {... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable expansion in awk script

Hello, I need to split a file into two of different locations by re-direction in awk. cat infle aaa 1 3 bbb 2 4 aaa 3 3 bbb 4 4 aaa 5 3 bbb 6 4 cat /storage/tmp/group_a.gtf aaa 1 3 aaa 3 3 aaa 5 3 cat /storage/tmp/group_b.gtf bbb 2 4 bbb ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies