Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl hashes "Can't use subscript on private hash" Post 302218240 by Smiling Dragon on Thursday 24th of July 2008 06:38:08 PM
Old 07-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinADC
That just makes no sense from the code that you posted. What are the values in @servers?
That's the crazy bit, I'm not calling this function at all yet (!?!)
I've checked through the rest of the code and I'm not defining a variable called server or servers in any manner elsewhere.
I'll be using this function to track the number of connections to two different sybase backends to determin which one the application is currently pointing to, but that section is still unused.
Perl's calling it a syntax error by the looks of it, but I can't see how it possibly could be. It's making my head hurt. Smilie Smilie Smilie

At least it's working so far but I have a feeling I've done what era suggests and introduced a brace or quote someplace that's really confusing things. Not that I can find it anyplace and I'm generally careful with my formatting so problems like that are obvious...

Ah well, if I do find it, I'll post back here. Meantime, I'll press on and add it to the "it's a mystery file"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl hash of hashes from database

hi there, I have some database output that looks like this SELECT nic_name,nic_duplex,nic_speed,nic_ip FROM network_table WHERE hostname = "server1" result is this (ive delimited with a pipe for ease of reading) bge0|full|1000|10.32.100.1 bge1|full|1000|11.12.101.7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - printing a hash of hashes to screen

Hi there I have a hash of hashes made up of the following data bge0|100|half|10.36.100.21 bge1|1000|full|10.36.100.22 bge2|1000|full|10.36.100.23 which when i turn into a hash, would look like this inside the system bge0 -> nic_speed -> 100 nic_duplex -> half ... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - another quick hash of hashes question

Hi, sorry, two hash related questions in one day .. but this has got me a bit stuck. I have a mysql database table that kind of looks like this, the table is called "view1" and a snippet of that table (SELECT'ing just rows with serial number 0629AN1200) is below serial nic_name ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: dereferencing a hash of hashes

Hi there, I am trying to dereference my hash of hashes but post dereferencing, it seems to lose its structure I am using Data::dumper to help me anaylise. This is the code im using to build the HoH, (data comes from a file). I have also performed a Dumper on the data structure before and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rethink
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Printing null hash values as a " "?

I'm filling in a table of values for grades. I decided to go with reading into a hash from the files but I'm coming up with an error when printing a value that does not exist. I need to know if I can on-the-fly print a space (" ") or blank in place of the grade. Here's what the output should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl hash of hashes anonymous array

Hello experts. I'm having problems with a snippet of code. I was hoping to get help/advice to correct. A file that this script parses has changed to the point where I can no longer use a scalar, it looks as though I need to create an array for a hash of hashes below. The first output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timj123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
sem_post(2)							System Calls Manual						       sem_post(2)

NAME
sem_post - unlock a POSIX semaphore SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is used to post the semaphore referenced by sem. The calling thread will not return from its call to unless it can either: increment the semaphore value, if there are no blocked threads on this semaphore; give the semaphore to a blocked thread, if there are any blocked threads on this semaphore; or have an error condition. If the semaphore value is < 0, the semaphore has blocked threads, waiting for it to become available (the absolute value of the semaphore's value indicates the number of waiters at that moment). If the semaphore value is >= 0, the semaphore has no waiters. If the semaphore has no waiters at the time its value is checked, the semaphore's value will be atomically incremented, with respect to the checking of its value, up to its maximum value as specified by If the semaphore has waiters at the time its value is checked, the semaphore value is not changed. Instead, the calling thread will attempt to wake up a waiter. If the semaphore has waiters having realtime priori- ties, the thread must wake up the highest priority waiter. Otherwise the thread at the head of the channel queue is woken up. When a waiter is successfully woken, the semaphore being posted will be given to the woken waiter. In other words, the state of the sema- phore remains unchanged. Instead, the semaphore being posted will be inherited by the waiter being woken from this call to If the specified semaphore referred to by sem is a named semaphore, then this semaphore must have been opened by the calling process with The calling process must have both read and write permissions on the semaphore to perform this operation. The routine may be called asyn- chronously, i.e. from a signal handler. To use this function, link in the realtime library by specifying on the compiler or linker command line. EXAMPLES
The following call to will post the semaphore sem. RETURN VALUE
A successful call to will return 0 and the calling thread would have posted the semaphore. Otherwise, the call to will return -1 with errno set to the appropriate value of the error condition. ERRORS
fails and does not perform the requested operation if any of the following conditions are encountered: [EPERM] The calling process does not have the privileges necessary to post the semaphore. [EINVAL] The argument sem does not refer to a valid semaphore. SEE ALSO
<semaphore.h>. STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
sem_post(2)