Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Delete files older than 30 days Post 302218225 by Ikon on Thursday 24th of July 2008 04:49:51 PM
Old 07-24-2008
Code:
find /path/to/files* -mtime +30 -exec rm {} \;

Explanation

The first argument is the path to the files. This can be a path, a directory, or a wildcard as in the example above. I would recommend using the full path, and make sure that you run the command without the exec rm to make sure you are getting the right results.
The second argument, -mtime, is used to specify the number of days old that the file is. If you enter +30, it will find files older than 30 days.
The third argument, -exec, allows you to pass in a command such as rm. The {} \; at the end is required to end the command.
This should work on Ubuntu, Suse, Redhat, or pretty much any version of linux.

Last edited by Ikon; 07-24-2008 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Changed the 5 to a 30.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete files older than 7 days

can anyone tell me how I would write a script in ksh on AIX that will delete files in a directory older than 7 days? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I delete files older than 7 days?

I will like to write a script that delete all files that are older than 7 days in a directory and it's subdirectories. Can any one help me out witht the magic command or script? Thanks in advance, Odogboly98:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files and folders older than 3 days

find /basedirectory -type f -mtime +3 >> /tmp/tempfile find /basedirectory -type d -mtime +3 >> /tmp/tempfile mailx -s "List of removed files and folders" myemail@domain.com < /tmp/te mpfile rm /tmp/tempfile find /basedirectory -type f -mtime +3 -exec rm {} \; find /basedirectory -type d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than certain days - Wrong !!!

Guys, I had raised a question about deleting files older than today in a specific directory and i got this as an answer find ${ARCH_DEST}/*.gz -mtime +0 -exec rm -f {} \; What happens when there aren't files that meet this criteria ? Can it delete any other directories ? I had a shocking... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
22 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files more than 15 days older

i have to delete files which are older than 15 days or more except the ones in the directory Current and also *.sh files i have found the command for files 15 days or more older find . -type f -mtime +15 -exec ls -ltr {} \; but how to implement the logic to avoid directory Current and also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Delete files older than 30 days

Hi all, I want to delete log files with extension .log which are older than 30 days. How to delete those files? Operating system -- Sun solaris 10 Your input is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards, Williams (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: William1482
2 Replies

7. AIX

How do i delete files older than 15 days in AIX?

Hi i have tried searching and googling, but cant quite get there I need to delete all files in a directory that are older than 15 days here is what i have tried find /path/to/files* -mtime +15 -exec del {} \;the first section works find /path/to/files* -mtime +15but the del command dosent... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesteel
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than X days.

Hi All, I am using below code to delete files older than 2 days. In case if there are no files, I should log an error saying no files to delete. Please let me know, How I can achive this. find /path/*.xml -mtime +2 Thanks and Regards Nagaraja. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete 5 days older files from sftp

As one of our requirement was to connect to remote Linux server through SFTP connection and delete some files which are older than 7 days. I used the below piece of code for that, SFTP_CONNECTION=`sftp user_id@host ... cd DESIRED_DIR; find /path/to/files* -mtime +5 -exec rm -rf {} \; bye... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
2 Replies
uucleanup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     uucleanup(1M)

NAME
uucleanup - uucp spool directory clean-up SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/uucp/uucleanup [-Ctime] [-Dtime] [-mstring] [-otime] [-ssystem] [-Wtime] [-xdebug-level] [-Xtime] DESCRIPTION
uucleanup will scan the spool directories for old files and take appropriate action to remove them in a useful way: o Inform the requester of send/receive requests for systems that can not be reached. o Return undeliverable mail to the sender. o Deliver rnews files addressed to the local system. o Remove all other files. In addition, there is a provision to warn users of requests that have been waiting for a given number of days (default 1 day). Note: uucle- anup will process as if all option times were specified to the default values unless time is specifically set. This program is typically started by the shell uudemon.cleanup, which should be started by cron(1M). OPTIONS
-Ctime Remove any C. files greater or equal to time days old and send appropriate information to the requester (default 7 days). -Dtime Remove any D. files greater or equal to time days old, make an attempt to deliver mail messages, and execute rnews when appropriate (default 7 days). -mstring Include string in the warning message generated by the -W option. The default line is "See your local administrator to locate the problem". -otime Delete other files whose age is more than time days (default 2 days). -ssystem Execute for system spool directory only. -Wtime Any C. files equal to time days old will cause a mail message to be sent to the requester warning about the delay in con- tacting the remote. The message includes the JOBID, and in the case of mail, the mail message. The administrator may include a message line telling whom to call to check the problem (-m option) (default 1 day). -xdebug-level Produce debugging output on standard ouput. debug-level is a single digit between 0 and 9; higher numbers give more detailed debugging information. (This option may not be available on all systems.) -Xtime Any X. files greater or equal to time days old will be removed. The D. files are probably not present (if they were, the X. could get executed). But if there are D. files, they will be taken care of by D. processing (default 2 days). FILES
/usr/lib/uucp directory with commands used by uucleanup internally /var/spool/uucp spool directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbnuu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
uucp(1C), uux(1C), cron(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 19 May 1993 uucleanup(1M)