Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Finding process taking up resources Post 302218201 by NycUnxer on Thursday 24th of July 2008 03:52:28 PM
Old 07-24-2008
There is something I found out today call topas. Main thing I noticed is that it tells you what user/process is taking up most CPU% as it seems to be sorting in descending CPU% order. I'm going to assume this is what you meant by top. Seems pretty useful. Any good tutorials on topas. Is this a good admin tool to use?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to list the resources used for each process

Hi Expert, Can anyone tell what command can list the resources used for each process in AIX, including the following columns: Process ID, Program Name, Resources used(CPU,RAM,SWAP),Start Time Thanks!! Victor Cheung (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

login process taking a long time

I'm having a bit of a login performance issue.. wondering if anyone has any ideas where I might look. Here's the scenario... Linux Red Hat ES 4 update 5 regardless of where I login from (ssh or on the text console) after providing the password the system seems to pause for between 30... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: retlaw
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the process id of the process using the ports

Hi Any idea how to get the process id of the process using the ports lsof -i :portnumber does not work in my machine. I am on sun Solaris SPARC. Any suggestion is highly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinny
1 Replies

4. AIX

Process ids consuming huge resources ?

Hi All what is the command to check process ids , which are running from long time and which are consuming more cpu? Also how to check, what a particular PID is running what For Ex: i have a pid :3223722 which is running since from long time, if i want to check what is this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sidharthmellam
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Xorg is taking System Resources.

Hi All, I am facing System Speed problem.i saw in top command Xorg process was taking most of the time 20% of CPU and Memory.How to make it normal. Currently i am using AMD Athlon 64 HT technology processor(Socket 939) 512 DDR1 RAM Nvidia 5200 GeForce 128 MB Graphic card. i need help in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindk.monu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding process which ended another process

Hello, The scenario is as follows, I have a background process running initially for which i know the PID on machine1. I use ssh from machine 2 to execute a script in machine 1. For some reason the back ground process is terminated. I would like to know which process caused the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
6 Replies

7. AIX

AIX resources consumption group by process pattern

Hi, I have AIX processes something as below, how to know the resources consumption group by process pattern "price" and "devdb"? eg: CPU RAM WIO price 20% 250M 5% devdb 30% 1000M 8% oracle 2990122 1 0 10:33:39 - 0:00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

PID Process Resources

Hi all. I need to get detailed information about a PID. I have an app called Reflection X and it shows many things like Total CPU percent, User CPU (Nice) percent, FS Reads, etc. My question is how can I get all that information on console? Is there an archive with the detailed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: the0m3n
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process running time by taking user input

Need help in scripting . Below is the situation and need your inputs Checking all the processes, scripts running time based on user input time . Below Example ps -aef -o user,pid,etime,stime,args| grep sleep <user> 28995 01:24 14:14:39 sleep 120 <user> 29385 00:52 14:15:10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
8 Replies
PSIGNAL(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						PSIGNAL(9)

NAME
psignal, pgsignal, gsignal -- post signal to a process or process group SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/signalvar.h> void psignal(struct proc *p, int signum); void pgsignal(struct pgrp *pgrp, int signum, int checkctty); void gsignal(int pgid, int signum); DESCRIPTION
These functions post a signal to one or more processes. The argument signum common to all three functions should be in the range [1-NSIG]. The psignal() function posts signal number signum to the process represented by the process structure p. With a few exceptions noted below, the target process signal disposition is updated and is marked as runnable, so further handling of the signal is done in the context of the target process after a context switch. Note that psignal() does not by itself cause a context switch to happen. The target process is not marked as runnable in the following cases: o The target process is sleeping uninterruptibly. The signal will be noticed when the process returns from the system call or trap. o The target process is currently ignoring the signal. o If a stop signal is sent to a sleeping process that takes the default action (see sigaction(2)), the process is stopped without awakening it. o SIGCONT restarts a stopped process (or puts them back to sleep) regardless of the signal action (e.g., blocked or ignored). If the target process is being traced psignal() behaves as if the target process were taking the default action for signum. This allows the tracing process to be notified of the signal. The pgsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group described by pgrp. If checkctty is non-zero, the sig- nal will be posted only to processes that have a controlling terminal. pgsignal() is implemented by walking along the process list headed by the field pg_members of the process group structure pointed at by pgrp and calling psignal() as appropriate. If pgrp is NULL no action is taken. The gsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group identified by the group id pgid. gsignal() first finds the group structure associated with pgid, then invokes pgsignal() with the argument checkctty set to zero. If pgid is zero no action is taken. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), signal(9), tsleep(9) BSD
June 22, 1996 BSD