Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: read only file system
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers read only file system Post 302218063 by zaxxon on Thursday 24th of July 2008 08:04:11 AM
Old 07-24-2008
I don't know IPSO, but you can check if the filesystem is mounted read-only by checking it's entry in the /etc/fstab or a similar file. /etc should reside on FS /.
Also you can check with lsattr or chattr if they are using extended file permissions like "immutable", if it is ext2 or any other FS that supports it.
Good luck!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read through a file and Pass system commands

Hi, I have a file xyz.txt, which contains several "tar.gz" package names Eg :- Now i need to execute an rpm - ivh against all those packages in this file through a script one by one. I need a script to read through the file "xyz.txt", pick up each package name and execute rpm -ivh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemali
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/ file system mounts as read only

I have a Netra T1 server running Solaris 8, It was installed by jump start, it does not have a cdrom drive. Recetly it crashed so I rebooted it from >LOM poweron and it came to run level 3, all file systems listed in /etc/vfstab are mounted, but /dev and / root are not writeable though in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
3 Replies

3. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

4. SCO

Read and write into file system from SCO

hi Knows someone what kind of file system uses SCO Unix 5.0.6? Which linux or unix LIVE CD can read and write into file system from SCO Unix? I've tried to boot SCO using Knoppix 6.2.1 LIVE CD, but cannot mount. # mount -t sysv /dev/sda1 /mnt mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
2 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

Nagios: How to read the Linux system file?

hi 2 all i installed nagios in my linux srvr . check_ftp file is in format of system format . i wants to see the syntax for that script how can i read that file .. ??? please help me ! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
4 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Read-only file system error

My first post :) I deleted all the files within /system/library/startupitems to the trash bin. Now my mac snow leopard won't boot at all. All I got is the gray screen, apple logo and the spinning wheel...just spinning forever. I was able to boot in single-user mode. I'm trying to copy cp command... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: haxum
14 Replies

7. Red Hat

Read only file system : File show as ? ? ? ?

I have a test system, user which I have my home directory. /home/hansini The files under this directory show as ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? sam.sh ?--------- ? ? ? ? ? DDD I know on the test system OS is corrupt and it is read only file system. If I go to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansini
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rm: cannot remove file: Read-only file system

I have a file on a usb stick which I cannot remove and the following error message shows: rm: cannot remove `file-name': Read-only file system The usb stick is mounted as read-only on an Ubuntu system: $ mount /dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro) proc on /proc type proc (rw) none... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Read-only file system

Hi, I am logged in as super use and want to set owner of a root folder to a specific user. #chown -R user1:group1 /u01 This gives the message: chown: /u01: Read-only file system chown: lost+found: Read-only file system #ls -l drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Mar 21 16:42... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Getting read only propmt when opening /etc/system file

root@atrcx146:/# vi /etc/system "/var/tmp/Exv9a4Rb" Read-only file system Please let me know the reason (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Marty11
1 Replies
udfs(7FS)							   File Systems 							 udfs(7FS)

NAME
udfs - universal disk format file system DESCRIPTION
The udfs file system is a file system type that allows user access to files on Universal Disk Format (UDF) disks from within the Solaris operating environment. Once mounted, a udfs file system provides standard Solaris file system operations and semantics. That is, users can read files, write files, and list files in a directory on a UDF device and applications can use standard UNIX system calls on these files and directories. Because udfs is a platform-independent file system, the same media can be written to and read from by any operating system or vendor. Mounting File Systems udfs file systems are mounted using: mount-F udfs -o rw/ro device-special Use: mount /udfs if the /udfs and device special file /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 are valid and the following line (or similar line) appears in your /etc/vfstab file: /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 - /udfs udfs - no ro The udfs file system provides read-only support for ROM, RAM, and sequentially-recordable media and read-write support on RAM media. The udfs file system also supports regular files, directories, and symbolic links, as well as device nodes such as block, character, FIFO, and Socket. SEE ALSO
mount(1M), mount_udfs(1M), vfstab(4) NOTES
Invalid characters such as "NULL" and "/" and invalid file names such as "." and ".." will be translated according to the following rule: Replace the invalid character with an "_," then append the file name with # followed by a 4 digit hex representation of the 16-bit CRC of the original FileIdentifier. For example, the file name ".." will become "__#4C05" SunOS 5.10 29 Mar 1999 udfs(7FS)