Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting full path of a file situated either in parent's dir. or parent's parent dir. so on... Post 302218048 by Franklin52 on Thursday 24th of July 2008 07:24:07 AM
Old 07-24-2008
No duplicate or cross-posting, read the rules.

Proceed here:

https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...#post302218015

Thread closed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I define a particular dir in PATH variable and then unset that dir

How do I define a particular dir in front of PATH variable and then run some job and then at the end of job SET the PATH variable to original? in a script, WILL something like this work: ORIG_PATH=$PATH export PATH=/dir1/dir2:$PATH RUN SOME JOBS ..... unset PATH EXPORT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a file after the name of its parent dir

Started a thread in beginners but I thought someone from this forum may have an idea as well. Thanks! EDITED BY REBORG (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotsbite
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get parent directory of a file

In shell how would I get the parent directory of a file. E.g. I feed this in: /path/to/textfile.txt And get just: /path/to Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

DOS Dir - listing of full path and timestamp

Hi, (Apologies, I'm sure I'm not the first person to raise this question but so far in my searches haven't found a good answer). I would like to output a listing per line of filename (including full path) and 'last updated' timestamp. e.g: Z:\dir1\file1.txt 01/02/2010 10:43... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GM_AIX
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory?

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the scripts full dir path

lyang0@lyang0-OptiPlex-755:~$ ./test.sh . lyang0@lyang0-OptiPlex-755:~$ cat test.sh #!/bin/bash echo `dirname $0` lyang0@lyang0-OptiPlex-755:~$ pwd /home/lyang0 it doesn't get "/home/lyang0" and only when run /home/lyang0/test.sh it will get, but how can I do, then it can get the real... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way

Hi All, Can you please provide some pointers to move files from Base path to multiple paths in efficient way.Folder Structure is already created. /Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt /Path/AdminUser/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikgv417
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename the file name from Parent directory

Hi All, Just started learning unix and stuck into below issue. Suppose i have folder structure as below. Dir1/Dir2/Dir3/File1.msg I am looking to rename the file name from File1.msg to File2.msg but from the parent Dir1 From Dir3 i can easily run the command like mv File1.msg... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurjeet Singh
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Listing files with their parent dir?

Hi and good day, This string lets me find the html files: ls -R /Volumes/LC3/Sites/chu | grep "html" But how to list the files with their parent dir 'attached' to them: For example: n/fofo.html n/siso.html m/… / Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! With best regards,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: OmarKN
5 Replies
tk_chooseDirectory(n)					       Tk Built-In Commands					     tk_chooseDirectory(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
tk_chooseDirectory - pops up a dialog box for the user to select a directory. SYNOPSIS
tk_chooseDirectory ?option value ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The procedure tk_chooseDirectory pops up a dialog box for the user to select a directory. The following option-value pairs are possible as command line arguments: -initialdir dirname Specifies that the directories in directory should be displayed when the dialog pops up. If this parameter is not specified, then the directories in the current working directory are displayed. If the parameter specifies a relative path, the return value will convert the relative path to an absolute path. -mustexist boolean Specifies whether the user may specify non-existent directories. If this parameter is true, then the user may only select directo- ries that already exist. The default value is false. -parent window Makes window the logical parent of the dialog. The dialog is displayed on top of its parent window. On Mac OS X, this turns the file dialog into a sheet attached to the parent window. -title titleString Specifies a string to display as the title of the dialog box. If this option is not specified, then a default title will be dis- played. EXAMPLE
set dir [tk_chooseDirectory -initialdir ~ -title "Choose a directory"] if {$dir eq ""} { label .l -text "No directory selected" } else { label .l -text "Selected $dir" } SEE ALSO
tk_getOpenFile(n), tk_getSaveFile(n) KEYWORDS
directory, selection, dialog, platform-specific Tk 8.3 tk_chooseDirectory(n)