Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk on a string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk on a string Post 302218045 by Franklin52 on Thursday 24th of July 2008 07:15:03 AM
Old 07-24-2008
Please place your code between code tags.
You can select your code and click on the # symbol above the edit window or place your code between code brackets as follow:

HTML Code:
[code]
awk -F: '{print $3}' file
[/code]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk - find string, search lines below string for other strings

What's the easiest way to search a file for a specific string and then look for other instances after that? I want to search for all Virtual Hosts and print out the Server Name and Document Root (if it has that info), while discarding the rest of the info. Basically my file looks like this: ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mbohmer
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : match the string and string with the quotes :

Hi all, Here is the data file: - want to match only lan3 in the output . - not lan3:1 file : OPERATING_SYSTEM=HP-UX LOOPBACK_ADDRESS=127.0.0.1 INTERFACE_NAME="lan3" IP_ADDRESS="10.53.52.241" SUBNET_MASK="255.255.255.192" BROADCAST_ADDRESS="" INTERFACE_STATE=""... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for string between > and /n

Hi, I have a file that looks something like the following: >IGHV4-4*02 caggtgcagctgcaggagtcgggcccaggactggtgaagccttcggggaccctgtcc ctcacctgcgctgtctctggtggctccatcagcagtagtaactggtggagt tgggtccgccagcccccagggaaggggctggagtggattggggaaatctatcatagt gggagcaccaactacaacccgtccctcaagagtcgagtcaccatatcagta... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu429
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
PLPOIN(3plplot) 						    PLplot API							   PLPOIN(3plplot)

NAME
plpoin - Plot a glyph at the specified points SYNOPSIS
plpoin(n, x, y, code) DESCRIPTION
Plot a glyph at the specified points. (This function is largely superseded by plstring(3plplot) which gives access to many[!] more glyphs.) code=-1 means try to just draw a point. Right now it's just a move and a draw at the same place. Not ideal, since a sufficiently intelligent output device may optimize it away, or there may be faster ways of doing it. This is OK for now, though, and offers a 4X speedup over drawing a Hershey font "point" (which is actually diamond shaped and therefore takes 4 strokes to draw). If 0 < code < 32, then a useful (but small subset) of Hershey symbols is plotted. If 32 <= code <= 127 the corresponding printable ASCII character is plot- ted. Redacted form: plpoin(x, y, code) This function is used in examples 1,6,14,21,29. ARGUMENTS
n (PLINT, input) Number of points in the x and y arrays. x (PLFLT *, input) Pointer to an array with X coordinates of points. y (PLFLT *, input) Pointer to an array with Y coordinates of points. code (PLINT, input) Hershey symbol code (in "ascii-indexed" form with -1 <= code <= 127) corresponding to a glyph to be plotted at each of the n points. AUTHORS
Geoffrey Furnish and Maurice LeBrun wrote and maintain PLplot. This man page was automatically generated from the DocBook source of the PLplot documentation, maintained by Alan W. Irwin and Rafael Laboissiere. SEE ALSO
PLplot documentation at http://plplot.sourceforge.net/resources. August, 2012 PLPOIN(3plplot)