Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing French special characters Post 302217964 by ripat on Thursday 24th of July 2008 02:05:40 AM
Old 07-24-2008
Well, yes. And it's even more elegant:

Code:
SPEC_CHAR="ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞßàáâãäåæçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõöøùúûüýþÿ"
NORM_CHAR="AAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOOUUUUYPSaaaaaaaceeeeiiiionoooooouuuuyby"

sed -i.bk 'y/'$SPEC_CHAR'/'$NORM_CHAR'/' file-to-process

The in-place switch -i will create a backup of the original file with a .bk extension.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

2. HP-UX

Problems with French Characters

I am having a problem with two OSes. One is running windows 2003 and sending XML to a second system running Unix (HP-UX 11i v1). Windows sends XML to the UNIX system fine but then the UNIX system reads the buffer file and turns the french characters into the following: é Ú É ╔ Î ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redfin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string with special characters in shell

Hi, I am trying to replace a string in shell but it is not working correctly. @xcom.file@ needs to be replaced with tb137 Plz help.Thx. Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve formatting and enhance readability, thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish72
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing special characters

I am writing a ksh script. I need to replace a set of characters in an xml file. FROM="ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÛÚÜÝßàáâãäåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö¿¶ø®"; TO="AAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOOUUUUYSaaaaaaceeeeiiiionooooo N R" I have used the code- sed 's/$FROM/$TO/g'<abc.xml But its not working. Can anyone tell me the code to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

French characters in postfix/sendmail

Hello again, How can I send emails via postfix with special characters like "à" via postfix. When I'm paste-ing the special character inside a editor (nano) it shows like this --> � ... any tips? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galford
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing valuses containig space and special characters

**Extremely sorry for the typos in heading Old:CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') New :CAST(CAST('${G_DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'MM-DD-YYYY') as DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') Need to change old format as new format cat file1 CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 100bees
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replacing string/special characters using a 'conversion' table

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a script or program available out there that uses a conversion table to replace special characters from a file? I am trying to remove some special characters from a file but there are several unprintable/control characters that some I need to remove but some I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. AIX

French Accented characters in xml file comes as numbers

Hello all, I am using AIX 7.1 and whenever xml files with accented French characters are read, for example Name Andree where the first e has accented mark on top, AIX should it as Andrée but it comes as funny number characters for the first e. What do I need to fix this. I want to test with one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pregmi
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
french-deconjugator(1)													    french-deconjugator(1)

NAME
french-deconjugator - analyze conjugated French verbs SYNOPSIS
echo aime | french-deconjugator > result.txt DESCRIPTION
french-deconjugator reads conjugated French verbs from the command line or from standard input and writes (to standard output) the verb's infinitive form, the mode (infinitive, indicative, conditional, subjunctive, imperative or participle), the tense (present, past, imper- fect, future), the person (1, 2 or 3, while 0 is used for the present participle tense, and 4 and 5 are used in the past participle tense), and the number (singular or plural). These fields are separated by a comma and a space. The standard input is not read if verbs are passed as command-line arguments. By convention, persons 4 and 5 are used in the past participle tense to indicate the gender: 4 means masculine (e.g., "aime" or "aimes") and 5 means feminine (e.g., "aimee" or "aimees"). A single conjugated form can correspond to more than one mode, tense and person. In this case, each alternative is written on its own line. In all cases, the end of the answer is marked by an empty line. If the word is unknown, only this empty line is written. The names for the mode, tense and number are always in English. (This is meant to facilitate automatic parsing of the output. For a French user inter- face, see the GNOME application and applet.) The command flushes its output buffer after finishing each answer. This allows the command to be easily called from another program through two pipes. The command starts by loading its database from XML files (stored typically in /usr/share/verbiste). This takes some time, so it is a good idea to have the command answer many requests instead of running it for each request. The verbiste library's source archive contains Perl and Java example programs that illustrate this technique. This commands expects to read Latin-1 characters and writes Latin-1 characters. There must not be any leading or trailing white spaces on the lines read by the command. OPTIONS
--help display a help page and exit --version display version information and exit --lang=L select the language to use (fr for French or it for Italian); French is the default language --utf8 assume that the terminal uses the UTF-8 encoding instead of Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1); try this option if Verbiste claims not to know a verb that contains an accented character --all-infinitives print the infinitive form of all the verbs in the knowledge base, one per line, unsorted; other command-line arguments are ignored EXAMPLES
$ french-deconjugator aime aimer, participle, past, 0, singular $ echo -ne 'a plu ete ' | french-deconjugator avoir, indicative, present, 3, singular plaire, participle, past, 0, singular pleuvoir, participle, past, 0, singular etre, participle, past, 0, singular LICENSE
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no warranty. AUTHOR
See the verbiste(3) manual page. BUGS
See the verbiste(3) manual page. SEE ALSO
verbiste(3), french-conjugator(1). April 28th, 2012 french-deconjugator(1)