Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing French special characters Post 302217785 by joeyg on Wednesday 23rd of July 2008 02:28:41 PM
Old 07-23-2008
Tools perhaps this might help..

I don't think you can do it with the sed function. sed will try to replace condition1 with condition2; does not lend itself to checking inside a listing as you were starting to program.

I used the tr function below. You will need to know the octal values of the characters for your fontset.

Code:
> cat file1 
numero
telefono
vehiculo

> cat file1 | tr "u" "\372" | tr "e" "\351" | tr "i" "\354" >file2
> cat file2
núméro
téléfono
véhìcúlo

> cat file2 | tr "\372" "u" | tr "\351" "e" | tr "\354" "i" >file3
> cat file3
numero
telefono
vehiculo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

2. HP-UX

Problems with French Characters

I am having a problem with two OSes. One is running windows 2003 and sending XML to a second system running Unix (HP-UX 11i v1). Windows sends XML to the UNIX system fine but then the UNIX system reads the buffer file and turns the french characters into the following: é Ú É ╔ Î ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redfin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string with special characters in shell

Hi, I am trying to replace a string in shell but it is not working correctly. @xcom.file@ needs to be replaced with tb137 Plz help.Thx. Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve formatting and enhance readability, thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish72
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing special characters

I am writing a ksh script. I need to replace a set of characters in an xml file. FROM="ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÛÚÜÝßàáâãäåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö¿¶ø®"; TO="AAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOOUUUUYSaaaaaaceeeeiiiionooooo N R" I have used the code- sed 's/$FROM/$TO/g'<abc.xml But its not working. Can anyone tell me the code to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

French characters in postfix/sendmail

Hello again, How can I send emails via postfix with special characters like "à" via postfix. When I'm paste-ing the special character inside a editor (nano) it shows like this --> � ... any tips? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galford
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing valuses containig space and special characters

**Extremely sorry for the typos in heading Old:CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') New :CAST(CAST('${G_DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'MM-DD-YYYY') as DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') Need to change old format as new format cat file1 CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 100bees
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replacing string/special characters using a 'conversion' table

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a script or program available out there that uses a conversion table to replace special characters from a file? I am trying to remove some special characters from a file but there are several unprintable/control characters that some I need to remove but some I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. AIX

French Accented characters in xml file comes as numbers

Hello all, I am using AIX 7.1 and whenever xml files with accented French characters are read, for example Name Andree where the first e has accented mark on top, AIX should it as Andrée but it comes as funny number characters for the first e. What do I need to fix this. I want to test with one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pregmi
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)