Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hidden Characters
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users hidden Characters Post 302217655 by Khoomfire on Wednesday 23rd of July 2008 09:11:25 AM
Old 07-23-2008
Cheers Era

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

missing hidden characters

I made a small change to a UNIX script. When I tried to run it I received the following message: /bin/ksh: ^M: not found /bin/ksh: ^M: not found /bin/ksh: ^M: not found As ^M is a non printing character, I don't know how to discover where it is missing. How can I correct thiis... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SUSANR9999
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hidden Characters

Hello all, I have two files, that I suspect may contain hidden characters (EG, three spaces instead of a tab). Does anyone know of any tool that can display this (I have tried using diff, but I'm not quite sure it would do the job) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden control characters in a Unix Text File!

Can anyone seem to know how to find out whether a UNIX text file has 'hidden' control characters? Can I view them using 'vi' by some command line options? If there are control characters in a text file which are invisible/hidden.. then how do I get rid of them? Your intelletual answers are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kewl_guy
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

hidden characters added to commands

Hello everybody. Im really new in shell scripting. Im working with RedHat 4. I have begin to do some scripts to test the posibilitys but Im fancing a disturbing problem. some times the lines that I write add the return character or end-of-file ascii character to the command or argument tha... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josebenitez
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to see hidden characters.....

I know that cat -v will show me hidden characters in a file.... I for some reason seem to think that there's a bash command that will show me hidden characters in a variable in a script? Or am I just imagining it? Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden Characters in Regular Expression Matching Perl - Perl Newbie

I am completely new to perl programming. My father is helping me learn said programming language. However, I am stuck on one of the assignments he has given me, and I can't find very much help with it via google, either because I have a tiny attention span, or because I can be very very dense. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittyluva2
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Hidden characters when pasting in vi/vim

Hello everyone. When I copy some configuration settings string from MS_Word to putty from my personal pc to a remote machine, it appears that I copy some hidden symbols, which at first, cannot be seen and appear as hidden. Some java programs did not start, and after investigation I found that: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dampio
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh hidden characters in variables

Hi. I'm getting the following hidden characters \uat the start of a string after I pass in variables from the command line. I only noticed this when I set -x in my KSH script. Can anybody tell me how this happens and how to remove them? Many thanks. + STR=$'\uusername testuser1' + print... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
12 Replies
COL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    COL(1)

NAME
col -- filter reverse line feeds from input SYNOPSIS
col [-bfpx] [-l num] DESCRIPTION
Col filters out reverse (and half reverse) line feeds so the output is in the correct order with only forward and half forward line feeds, and replaces white-space characters with tabs where possible. This can be useful in processing the output of nroff(1) and tbl(1). Col reads from standard input and writes to standard output. The options are as follows: -b Do not output any backspaces, printing only the last character written to each column position. -f Forward half line feeds are permitted (``fine'' mode). Normally characters printed on a half line boundary are printed on the follow- ing line. -p Force unknown control sequences to be passed through unchanged. Normally, col will filter out any control sequences from the input other than those recognized and interpreted by itself, which are listed below. -x Output multiple spaces instead of tabs. -lnum Buffer at least num lines in memory. By default, 128 lines are buffered. The control sequences for carriage motion that col understands and their decimal values are listed in the following table: ESC-7 reverse line feed (escape then 7) ESC-8 half reverse line feed (escape then 8) ESC-9 half forward line feed (escape then 9) backspace moves back one column (8); ignored in the first column carriage return (13) newline forward line feed (10); also does carriage return shift in shift to normal character set (15) shift out shift to alternate character set (14) space moves forward one column (32) tab moves forward to next tab stop (9) vertical tab reverse line feed (11) All unrecognized control characters and escape sequences are discarded. Col keeps track of the character set as characters are read and makes sure the character set is correct when they are output. If the input attempts to back up to the last flushed line, col will display a warning message. SEE ALSO
expand(1), nroff(1), tbl(1) STANDARDS
The col utility conforms to the Single UNIX Specification, Version 2. The -l option is an extension to the standard. HISTORY
A col command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 17, 1991 BSD