Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding header to an existing file Post 302217614 by shash on Wednesday 23rd of July 2008 06:59:09 AM
Old 07-23-2008
Adding header to an existing file

Dear All,

I need to add a header of one line to an already existing file.
I know that it can be achieved by the following:

echo "Header" > newfile
cat file1 >> newfile

But my problem is that file is huge and there is no space for creating a new file every time. Is there a way that I can add header without creating a new file?

Thanks
Shash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help for Adding Three new columns in existing file from fatching data from file

not required this time (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_Malik
36 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding file to an existing tar

Hi Friends, I want to know the command to add a new file in a existing tar file. For Ex: I have a tar file file1.tar with the contents one.txt two.txt three.txt Now I need to add file four.txt to this existing tar file, how can I do it? Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a header to a log file

Hello, I’m trying to add a row that will server as the header for a space separated file. 1-I have a number of files save in a directory 2- grep text path/*.log > newfile newfile looks like this Field1 Field2 Field3 Field4 Field1 Field2 Field3 Field4 Field1 Field2 Field3 Field4 Field1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rene reivera jr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a new column in a file with other existing columns

Hi All , Kindly help me with this soln awk '{printf "%s %7s \n", $1,$c}' infile where value of variable c I am externally giving input But executing the above command shows all the columns of infile where as I want only 1st column of infile and 2nd column should print value c (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding existing set of records in the same file

I have a file with 50,000 records in it, i have a requirement to use the same 50,000 records and add them 4 times to the same file to make a total of 200,000 records. I was wondering how to do this using ksh. Any help is greatly appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Header and Trailer records to a appended file

How can we a shell script and pass date parameters .I have 3 files comming from Datastage with |" delimited I need append 3 files as above: File1: P0000|"47416954|"AU|"000|"INS|"0000|"|"20060601|"99991231|"|"|"|"|"01 File 2:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: e1994264
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding header and trailer into a file

Hi, I want to add the below Header to all the files in sequence File1,File2,File3...etc "ABC,<number of chracter in the file>" e,g - If File1 is as below pqrstuvdt abcdefgh then I want to add the above header into it ,So that File1 becomes as below ABC,17 pqrstuvdt abcdefgh ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spari2
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding header in a file

Hi team, In my script i am storing some value in a variable "header". I want to add the header value has header in a file. Please help me on this Thanks in advance, Baski (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in adding header of a file

Hi All , I have a pipe dilimited file .Sample file is below.I need to add header in that file through unix. 000001| 1|AQWWW|234,456.00 | | 123456| |41|abC| 0|xyZ| 000002| 2|11 4|1,234,456.99| | 0| |23| |99|! | 000003| 3|!!@#$|0,000,001.10| | ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python DictWriter header - not writing in first line of existing file

Hello I am facing a very unique problem and not able to understand why. I have written a function which will check header of the file. If header is present good else it will write the header on top def writeHeaderOutputCSV(fileName): # See if the file exist already try: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: radioactive9
0 Replies
Courriel::Header(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Courriel::Header(3pm)

NAME
Courriel::Header - A single header's name and value VERSION
version 0.29 SYNOPSIS
my $subject = $headers->get('subject'); print $subject->value(); DESCRIPTION
This class represents a single header, which consists of a name and value. API
This class supports the following methods: Courriel::Header->new( ... ) This method requires two attributes, "name" and "value". Both must be strings. The "name" cannot be empty, but the "value" can. $header->name() The header name as passed to the constructor. $header->value() The header value as passed to the constructor. $header->as_string( charset => $charset ) Returns the header name and value with any necessary MIME encoding and folding. The "charset" parameter specifies what character set to use for MIME-encoding non-ASCII values. This defaults to "utf8". The charset name must be one recognized by the Encode module. $header->stream_to( output => $output, charset => ... ) This method will send the stringified header to the specified output. The output can be a subroutine reference, a filehandle, or an object with a "print()" method. The output may be sent as a single string, as a list of strings, or via multiple calls to the output. See the "as_string()" method for documentation on the "charset" parameter. ROLES
This class does the "Courriel::Role::Streams" role. AUTHOR
Dave Rolsky <autarch@urth.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is Copyright (c) 2012 by Dave Rolsky. This is free software, licensed under: The Artistic License 2.0 (GPL Compatible) perl v5.14.2 2012-03-07 Courriel::Header(3pm)