Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to convert English text file to ASCII File? Post 302217608 by laknar on Wednesday 23rd of July 2008 06:47:06 AM
Old 07-23-2008
How to convert English text file to ASCII File?

file abc
abc: English text

I want to convert the above into

file abc
file: ascii text

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert hex to ascii text

Is there a command to convert hex characters into their respective ascii values? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file?

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser123
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file?

How to convert ebcdic file to ascii file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert file to ascii

I have a file in below format(ISO ) and to be convert to readable (.txt/Ascii) format .send me the commands/code please sample as follows 2043010101167157001190002010011120000000002144300000000000000000000 01022_ - %rE@ U...ug  47 56   d %rE@ 01022_ - $5 fy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nalakaatslt
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Unable to convert EBCDIC file to ASCII file

Hello all, To give you all a little bit of background. We recently migrated from HP-UX to Redhat Linux and one of the command I used to run on HP-UX to convert an EBCDIC file to ASCII file isn't working on Linux. The code is as follow: cat workout2.dat | dd cbs=250 conv=block conv=ascii... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
3 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Convert ASCII Text, with CRLF

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: write a script asciiFix.sh that takes an arbitrary number of file paths from the command line and carries out the same analysis on each one. If a file is not Windows ASCII, your script should do nothing to it. For each file that is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwatt019
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert EBCDIC(.DAT) FILE into ASCII FILE

Hi Team, I am having 100 EBCDIC files (i.e. DAT extension) and need to convert them into ASCII File by unix shell script. I tried with DD Command but its not providing output as expected. Sample Text: ------------------ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Expected Output:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSM
2 Replies

10. Programming

How to write in other language in text/xml file by reading english text/xml file using C++?

Hello Team, I have 2 files.one contains english text and another contains Japanese. so i have to read english text and replace the text with Japanesh text in third file. Basically, I need a help to write japanese language in text/xml file.I heard wstring does this.Not sure how do i write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory SYNOPSIS
fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the -path argument. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume. Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. EXAMPLES
The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and "fs3.abc.com": % fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHEREIS(1)