Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl hashes "Can't use subscript on private hash" Post 302217500 by era on Wednesday 23rd of July 2008 01:11:02 AM
Old 07-23-2008
I can't repro that. Do you have a global variable %results or a subroutine results elsewhere in your script? (Still can't repro with either of those, but I can't come up with anything better ...) Or just a missing closing brace somewhere -- those can trigger quite misleading error messages.

What's the point of an open("long pipeline |") loop if all you want is a single value? I'd use backticks for that. Also the return on error without a proper error message looks user-hostile and fragile. (Of course if the error checking is deferred to the caller then I suppose it's as it should be.)

Last edited by era; 07-23-2008 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: Suggest use backticks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl hash of hashes from database

hi there, I have some database output that looks like this SELECT nic_name,nic_duplex,nic_speed,nic_ip FROM network_table WHERE hostname = "server1" result is this (ive delimited with a pipe for ease of reading) bge0|full|1000|10.32.100.1 bge1|full|1000|11.12.101.7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - printing a hash of hashes to screen

Hi there I have a hash of hashes made up of the following data bge0|100|half|10.36.100.21 bge1|1000|full|10.36.100.22 bge2|1000|full|10.36.100.23 which when i turn into a hash, would look like this inside the system bge0 -> nic_speed -> 100 nic_duplex -> half ... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - another quick hash of hashes question

Hi, sorry, two hash related questions in one day .. but this has got me a bit stuck. I have a mysql database table that kind of looks like this, the table is called "view1" and a snippet of that table (SELECT'ing just rows with serial number 0629AN1200) is below serial nic_name ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: dereferencing a hash of hashes

Hi there, I am trying to dereference my hash of hashes but post dereferencing, it seems to lose its structure I am using Data::dumper to help me anaylise. This is the code im using to build the HoH, (data comes from a file). I have also performed a Dumper on the data structure before and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rethink
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Printing null hash values as a " "?

I'm filling in a table of values for grades. I decided to go with reading into a hash from the files but I'm coming up with an error when printing a value that does not exist. I need to know if I can on-the-fly print a space (" ") or blank in place of the grade. Here's what the output should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl hash of hashes anonymous array

Hello experts. I'm having problems with a snippet of code. I was hoping to get help/advice to correct. A file that this script parses has changed to the point where I can no longer use a scalar, it looks as though I need to create an array for a hash of hashes below. The first output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timj123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
Tie::Hash::NamedCapture(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			      Tie::Hash::NamedCapture(3pm)

NAME
Tie::Hash::NamedCapture - Named regexp capture buffers SYNOPSIS
tie my %hash, "Tie::Hash::NamedCapture"; # %hash now behaves like %+ tie my %hash, "Tie::Hash::NamedCapture", all => 1; # %hash now access buffers from regexp in $qr like %- DESCRIPTION
This module is used to implement the special hashes "%+" and "%-", but it can be used to tie other variables as you choose. When the "all" parameter is provided, then the tied hash elements will be array refs listing the contents of each capture buffer whose name is the same as the associated hash key. If none of these buffers were involved in the match, the contents of that array ref will be as many "undef" values as there are capture buffers with that name. In other words, the tied hash will behave as "%-". When the "all" parameter is omitted or false, then the tied hash elements will be the contents of the leftmost defined buffer with the name of the associated hash key. In other words, the tied hash will behave as "%+". The keys of "%-"-like hashes correspond to all buffer names found in the regular expression; the keys of "%+"-like hashes list only the names of buffers that have captured (and that are thus associated to defined values). SEE ALSO
perlreapi, re, "Pragmatic Modules" in perlmodlib, "%+" in perlvar, "%-" in perlvar. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Tie::Hash::NamedCapture(3pm)