Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Linux/Ubuntu Mondo/Mindi question, please help... Post 302217297 by needhelpplease on Tuesday 22nd of July 2008 11:54:11 AM
Old 07-22-2008
Linux/Ubuntu Mondo/Mindi question, please help...

I am not very good with Linux/Ubuntu (I'm a newbie) but I will explain my problem as best I can and I hope someone can help me.

I have an Ubuntu Server, version 6.10 and installed on it is a Postgresql database which I have about 100 remote clients constantly accessing it (sending and requesting data). I also have the latest version of Mondo installed and I recently made a live back up (when I did the backup to .iso images, I left Postgresql running and the box connected to the database, with the remote clients still using the database).

Mondo made 6 .iso images which I later moved to a Windows XP Pro machine and burned CD's with them (there were no errors when buring the iso images to CDs).

I then took an exact duplicate machine (both are Dell's with same exact hardware inside) and booted off the 1st CD and began to 'restore' the backup on this new machine using the Mondo/Mindi GUI.
During the process after the 1st CD just started to be 'restored' to this new machine, I got an error that mentioned 'out of memory' 'Kill process 12420 (mondorestore) score 164 and children' ... and left me at a 'BusyBox 1.00' prompt....

My question is; Did this 'restore error' happen because I made the mondo backup with postgresql live and running while clients where still accessing the machine?

Do you think if I shut down Postgresql and pulled the machine off the internet, and then did a Mondo back up, the 'restore' would then work?

I appreciate any and all help you can give me.

Thank you.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

HELP! Problems with Mondo Archiver

I'm running Centos 5 and have compiled the latest and greatest version of Mondo Archiver. I can run the back up manually by just running mondoarchiver with no arguments and answering all of the questions. My problem is that when I try to run it from a batch file so I can use run it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wpflum
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ubuntu 9.04 router question

Hello I am new to Ubuntu and I have a quick question about router settings. When I connect directly to my cable Internet ubuntu works fine. But when I connect it to my router I can't get connectivity. I am using ubuntu 9.04 and am using D-link DI-604 router. I have reset both my router and modem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jae99
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to create mondo backup for size > 4.5 GB

Hello Friends, I use mondoarchive to take a bootable backup of my system on a DVD. But whenever there are large files on the system, i.e. the size of the entire backup increases beyond 4.5 GB, the mondoarchive utility does not take any backup. This is quite obvious because the size of DVD is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamik
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

5. Programming

Help with C in linux Ubuntu 12.04

I'm trying to use the sytem() to send a terminal command. I haven't been able to run the program. Can someone show me how am I suppose to write this command: (echo "#o1" > /dev/ttyUSB1). Is there a better way to use the command on the C file so that when I call the file and run it on the terminal... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hector M.
11 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Question about installing Cinnamon in Ubuntu

Hi, If I install Cinnamon according to the instruction in the following link: Ubuntu + Cinnamon - A good idea? No. A great one. will I still have unity, and will I still be able to choose unity when my ubuntu will start? Thank in advance ---------- Post updated at 09:48 PM ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
0 Replies
OD(1)									FSF								     OD(1)

NAME
od - dump files in octal and other formats SYNOPSIS
od [OPTION]... [FILE]... od --traditional [FILE] [[+]OFFSET [[+]LABEL]] DESCRIPTION
Write an unambiguous representation, octal bytes by default, of FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE argument, concatenate them in the listed order to form the input. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. All arguments to long options are mandatory for short options. -A, --address-radix=RADIX decide how file offsets are printed -j, --skip-bytes=BYTES skip BYTES input bytes first -N, --read-bytes=BYTES limit dump to BYTES input bytes -s, --strings[=BYTES] output strings of at least BYTES graphic chars -t, --format=TYPE select output format or formats -v, --output-duplicates do not use * to mark line suppression -w, --width[=BYTES] output BYTES bytes per output line --traditional accept arguments in traditional form --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Traditional format specifications may be intermixed; they accumulate: -a same as -t a, select named characters -b same as -t oC, select octal bytes -c same as -t c, select ASCII characters or backslash escapes -d same as -t u2, select unsigned decimal shorts -f same as -t fF, select floats -h same as -t x2, select hexadecimal shorts -i same as -t d2, select decimal shorts -l same as -t d4, select decimal longs -o same as -t o2, select octal shorts -x same as -t x2, select hexadecimal shorts For older syntax (second call format), OFFSET means -j OFFSET. LABEL is the pseudo-address at first byte printed, incremented when dump is progressing. For OFFSET and LABEL, a 0x or 0X prefix indicates hexadecimal, suffixes may be . for octal and b for multiply by 512. TYPE is made up of one or more of these specifications: a named character c ASCII character or backslash escape d[SIZE] signed decimal, SIZE bytes per integer f[SIZE] floating point, SIZE bytes per integer o[SIZE] octal, SIZE bytes per integer u[SIZE] unsigned decimal, SIZE bytes per integer x[SIZE] hexadecimal, SIZE bytes per integer SIZE is a number. For TYPE in doux, SIZE may also be C for sizeof(char), S for sizeof(short), I for sizeof(int) or L for sizeof(long). If TYPE is f, SIZE may also be F for sizeof(float), D for sizeof(double) or L for sizeof(long double). RADIX is d for decimal, o for octal, x for hexadecimal or n for none. BYTES is hexadecimal with 0x or 0X prefix, it is multiplied by 512 with b suffix, by 1024 with k and by 1048576 with m. Adding a z suffix to any type adds a display of printable characters to the end of each line of output. --string without a number implies 3. --width without a number implies 32. By default, od uses -A o -t d2 -w 16. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for od is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and od programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info od should give you access to the complete manual. od (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 OD(1)