Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to compile linux kernel on redhat Post 302217290 by bhattbonny on Tuesday 22nd of July 2008 11:34:17 AM
Old 07-22-2008
how to compile linux kernel on redhatII

Thanks for the response! So how do I detect the hardware my Linux system have, and how do I determine what I need what I do not? Also, what is the meaning of the sentence "on top directory of your kernel source from kernel.org, run $ make mrproper" what is this top directory, I know I unpacked the linux in /usr/src/linux, is this directory they are talking about? Please let me know. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compile a new kernel in RHEL 5

Hi all, I need some help in compiling a new kernel. I am using RHEL 5 with kernel version 2.6.18. I have downloaded a kernel from link http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.6.tar.bz2 1. cd /usr/src 2. wget -c http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2 3.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikas027
1 Replies

2. Linux

Compile new kernel in Fedora 5

Hi All, I try to compile new kernel in FC5. New kernel version - 2.6.20.21 Operating System - Fedora 5 I have followed these steps, make menuconfig make make modules make modules_install make install Then i have changed the grub.cong and reboot the system with new kernel. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: viveksnv
0 Replies

3. Debian

compile kernel with OFED

Hello Friends, I know how to compile the kernel . But I don't know how to compile the kernel with OFED. Can any one assist me on that. Or can anyone send me the link. Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
0 Replies

4. Linux

kernel compile

Dear experts, How can compile the kernel as application mode? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
2 Replies

5. Slackware

Compile Leanest Slackware Kernel

My goal is to make the leanest Slackware kernel possible for my machine specifically. I'm not exactly a newbie to unix, but I'm not an expert. I tried this tutorial Chapter*18.*Building a kernel , but I would like something in more depth to really make a lean slack machine. Where should I go? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkstarxor
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compile most recent kernel on older distro ?

Debian lenny uses the 2.6.26 kernel by default. Can I compile the most recent kernel from kernel.org and use it instead ? Will the new kernel be incompatible with other installed softwares ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyler
1 Replies

7. Linux

Howto compile my own module into the kernel

Hi there, I'm currently writing a program/module which makes use of the Linux Security Modules (LSM), which provide hooks for some security . The bad thing about it is: The function to set the hook to the LSM is not exported. That means, I can't just write a loadable kernel module, but have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Kernel compile error

Hi I'm compiling a real-time kernel in linux, but after I type make bzImage things end with this: (Things going well doing CC and things).... CC arch/x86/kernel/kgdb.o CC arch/x86/kernel/vm86_32.o CC arch/x86/kernel/early_printk.o CC arch/x86/kernel/ipipe.o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i get UNIX kernel and compile it like Linux ?

I am not a newbie to Linux, i have been using Linux as my desktop for 4 years, but i am just an end user to Linux, no advanced knowledge to it. I knew that, i can download generic linux kernel and compile it by myself, but how about Unix? how can i get an Unix kernel and compile it ? or no this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wong.sie.ung
5 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Compile smbfs module in kernel version 3.10 running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Is there any way to compile smbfs module in kernel 3.10 running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I did a 'make menuconfig' and it shows cifs. I found out online that smbfs is deprecated and replaced by cifs. I have an old system with kernel version 2.4 which only has smbfs (no cifs). Is it possible to compile... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Monil
1 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)