Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Extracting certain /paths/* using tar Post 302217008 by Habitual on Monday 21st of July 2008 08:44:26 PM
Old 07-21-2008
Error Extracting certain /paths/* using tar

forgive my ignorance.
I did a search of this sub-forum for "tar -xp" and variations on the same w\out success, so here goes...

Scenario:
filename.tar file.

Desired Task:
I want to be able to extract only files from the user's public_html folder (and all those under it as an option) from the archive.

Usual target path:
/home/$user/public_html/*
(the archive is on a nas, so extracting to the current directory where the archive lives will have to do, for now).

What I've tried:
tar --extract --file=-filename.tar $user (I think this worked, but I was i a hurry and at the end of a long day)

What I've read to try:
tar -xp <something> (haven't had the chance to try anything along these lines)

Thank you for your time and assistance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error while extracting using TAR

Hi folks, When I am extracting an archive using the: tar -xvf /dev/rmt0 command i get the following error: x ./GRBD8901/GRBR006T, 1763253368 bytes, 3443855 media blocks. tar: 0511-197 ./GRBD8901/GRBR006T: Cannot write data extracted with the tar command: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extracting from tar.bz2

hi could any body tell me how to extract .tar.bz2 files i tried using tar but in vain. i found bzip2 in googling but i could not find it on machine unix tru64 please suggest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raom
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting from a tar file

Dear experts I have received a tar file containing several files with full path. Now I need to restore it in another system but when I want to extract files by using tar -xvf tarfile it wants to create all files with full paths again in new system in which I don't have enough previleges. How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
4 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Extracting from a tar file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory? For example the archive files may have a filename of /SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar the paths from a input file

Hi, I have a file paths.txt with all the file paths. I want to tar everything in those paths to a file. for example paths.txt contains /data/extention /logs/extension /code/extenstion Now I want to tar using command tar cvf extention.tar path1 path2 where path1 -> /data/extention... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muaz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar after replacing paths from a file

There is a file paths.txt with paths containing data for example E:/<BUILD_NAME>/data/common E:/<BUILD_NAME>/log/common E:/<BUILD_NAME>/temp/common E:/<BUILD_NAME>/code/common While reading this file I want to replace the <BUILD_NAME> from a variable $BUILD in the following command: tar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muaz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting .tar files.

Hey guys complete n00b here so I'll try my best at explaining. I'm creating a backup and restore utility and decided to use tar. I create a backup folder in each user's account and when backing up (say word processing files), I use the following: tar cvf /home/user/backup/wpbackup.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EwanD
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and relative paths

HOw can I create a tar file with relative paths find . -depth -print | xargs tar -cvf /tmp/file.tar ? Thanks to all who answer (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
1 Replies

9. Solaris

exclude absolute paths when extracting Tar file?

Hi, How do I extract data from TAR excluding absolute paths for Tar? (Solaris) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar stucks while extracting

I am trying to extract tar file of size 167MB but most of the times tar command stuck while extraction. Command: new 24389 24369 0 Nov21 ? 00:00:00 tar -xf NCSanJose1_req_rep.tar While running process with gdb following back trace was obtain: ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: freebee
24 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-05-12 PTARGREP(1)