Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE FAILED during patching kernel sources Post 302216466 by fabtagon on Saturday 19th of July 2008 09:31:58 AM
Old 07-19-2008
You've taken the kernel sources supplied by OpenSuse, haven't you? Suse uses a modified kernel und therefore ships modified kernel sources (which have other features, ... - nearly all distributions do this). That's normally no problem.

But when you try to use standard patches they fail, because the patch utility does not find the proper lines in the sources to modify. Even if there's a way to get those sources compiled better don't use them, because the changes can be incompatible with each other.

Better download an unpatched kernel source tarball from kernel.org (which you can use to patch later on).

You could also have a look into your packages, maybe Suse does also ship an unmodified "vanilla" kernel source tree. This one is exactly identical to the standard tree. You could patch this one without problems.

PS: can't see any problems with your English.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Kernel sources

I"m installing my ATI card in FC4. I'm going off of instructions that i've found. The firs step says that i need my kernel sources which i've got then it says that i've gotta unpack them so i can make links to the file later. My kernel sources that i've got are .src.rpm I've installed them but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: byblyk
1 Replies

2. Linux

kernel: nfs_fhget: iget failed

Hi can you please help what is this error in linux.... How to check and resolve this. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaibiganmi
1 Replies

3. Linux

Kernel sources/module building

Hi All, I've seen people build modules against a certain kernel source (eg in /usr/src/kernels/my_source/) and some people build against the sources in /lib/modules/my_source/build/ What is the difference and are there any benefits to using the /lib/modules source? Regards, Brendan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
0 Replies

4. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Are the UnixWare 7.1.1 sources available?

So, I was browsing groklaw.net, and I was surprised to read that Pamela Jones was reading the copyright notices in the UnixWare 7.1.1 source code files... Groklaw - Santa Cruz Listed Novell as Owning the Copyrights in 1999 How can that be? Are the UnixWare 7.1.1 sources available to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pepinox
1 Replies

5. Solaris

What is Kernel Patching?

Q.) What is KERNEL PATCHING? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aparna66
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Kernel and OS patching

Hi, I just want to know, is there any difference between Kernal patching and OS patching in solaris/linux Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vks47
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

kernel panic - Failed back to HPET

Hello, I have a problem in my server: HP ProLiant DL580 G5 My OS is REDHAT 4.6 I have an error when I start the server: Badness in do_unblank_screen at drivers/char/vt.c:2878 ... Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts rip __smp_call_function +... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markke
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Patching failed on Sun T2000

Hi folks, I was patching Sun server (SunOS suns121 5.10 Generic_144488-17 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200) with the lateset bundle. It was completed with no errors. Server was restarted with shutdown command (/usr/sbin/shutdown -y -i6 -g0) after patching was complete. However, after that,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulu1
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about I/O sources

Hi all, What is the difference between these two comands? sed s/a/b/ <f1 >f2 sed s/a/b/ f1 >f2 Best, santiagorf (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
3 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Solaris 10 patching failed

I was installing Solaris-10 Recommended patch Cluster and it came out without installling all patches. I gave a rebooted and tried installing it again, but it seems some lock or something is prevenventing to install further patches. I am not able to figure out and I am struck in between... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies
EDIT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
edit-patch, add-patch - tool for preparing patches for Debian source packages SYNOPSIS
edit-patch path/to/patch add-patch path/to/patch DESCRIPTION
edit-patch is a wrapper script around the Quilt, CDBS, and dpatch patch systems. It simplifies the process of preparing and editing patches to Debian source packages and allows the user to not have to be concerned with which patch system is in use. Run from inside the root directory of the source package, edit-patch can be used to edit existing patches located in debian/patches. It can also be used to incorporate new patches. If pointed at a patch not already present, it will copy the patch to debian/patches in the correct format for the patch system in use. Next, the patch is applied and a subshell is opened in order to edit the patch. Typing exit or pressing Ctrl-d will close the subshell and launch an editor to record the debian/changelog entry. edit-patch is integrated with the Bazaar and Git version control systems. The patch will be automatically added to the tree, and the debian/changelog entry will be used as the commit message. If no patch system is present, the patch is applied inline, and a copy is stored in debian/patches-applied. add-patch is the non-interactive version of edit-patch. The patch will be incorporated but no editor or subshell will be spawned. AUTHORS
edit-patch was written by Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach@canonical.com>, Michael Vogt <michael.vogt@canonical.com>, and David Futcher <bobbo@ubuntu.com>. This manual page was written by Andrew Starr-Bochicchio <a.starr.b@gmail.com>. Both are released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 3. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities EDIT-PATCH(1)