Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing asterisk As A Parameter Post 302216414 by indiansoil on Friday 18th of July 2008 10:03:27 PM
Old 07-18-2008
Well, I tried this code segment:

Code:
./calc 10 '*' 5

and also this one

Code:
./calc 10 "*" 5

and both of them worked. But it is not user-friendly, is it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parameter passing

Hallo everyone, This is my problem below: /home/cerebrus/pax=>vat class2.sh ksh: vat: not found /home/cerebrus/pax=>cat class2.sh #!/bin/ksh set -x bdf|grep appsdev|awk '{ print $5 }'> class3 dd={cat class3} echo $dd /home/cerebrus/pax=> /home/cerebrus/pax=>./class2.sh + bdf +... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parameter passing in a function

I need to pass a parameter to a function in a script. My parameter is a string. When I display the parameter within my function, I only get the first word from string I pass in. How can I make the function receive the whole string (and not terminate at the first space it encounters)?. part of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
2 Replies

3. Programming

Passing parameter to makefile?

Hi, How to pass parameter to makefile? Please let me know if any one knows and also please put an example of makefile with this feature. thanks, Manju. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manju_p
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing asterisk to a script as variable

I'm writing a script that will ssh to a number of hosts and run commands. I'm a bit stumped at the moment as some of the commands that I need to run contain wildcards (i.e. *), and so far I have not figured out how to escape the * character so the script doesn't expand it. More specifically, here's... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter in quotes

Hi, PW='/as sysdba'; export PW in other module I call sqlplus ${PW} (this line I unable to change!) How I can define PW so that sqlplus calls PW in quotes i.e sqlplus '/as sysdba' I tried like this PW="'/as sysdba'"; export PW - no luck Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Positional parameter passing

Hi All, When passing parameters to a sheel script, the parameters are referenced by their positions such as $1 for first parameter, $2 for second parameter. these positional values can only have values ranging from $0-$9 (0,1,2,3...9). I have a shell script meant to accept 20 parameters. for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ogologoma
3 Replies

7. Programming

passing float parameter

I am surprised by GCC (this is ver. 4.2.4, Ubuntu 32 bit Intel) when a function declares a float parameter and it's prototype is missing, the parameters are messed up. Please see my code below: ~/test$ cat x1.c #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> set_p(int p1, float p2, int p3, int p4)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter to script, and split the parameter

i am passing input parameter 'one_two' to the script , the script output should display the result as below one_1two one_2two one_3two if then echo " Usage : <$0> <DATABASE> " exit 0 else for DB in 1 2 3 do DBname=`$DATABASE | awk -F "_" '{print $1_${DB}_$2}` done fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter more than 9

Hi, I've written a script where eleven parameter to be passed from command line which is inserting into an oracle table, it is working but the tenth and 11th parameter are not accepting as given it is referring to 1st parameter. HERE IS THE SCRIPT #!/bin/ksh #set -o echo $*... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter through file

Hi , I am passing date parameter through file my shell script testing.sh is #set -x #set -v asd=$1 asd1=$2 echo $asd echo $asd1 Passing parameter as below sh testing.sh `cat file1.txt` Output (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
2 Replies
Math::BaseCalc(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Math::BaseCalc(3pm)

NAME
Math::BaseCalc - Convert numbers between various bases VERSION
version 1.016 SYNOPSIS
use Math::BaseCalc; my $calc = new Math::BaseCalc(digits => [0,1]); #Binary my $bin_string = $calc->to_base(465); # Convert 465 to binary $calc->digits('oct'); # Octal my $number = $calc->from_base('1574'); # Convert octal 1574 to decimal DESCRIPTION
This module facilitates the conversion of numbers between various number bases. You may define your own digit sets, or use any of several predefined digit sets. The to_base() and from_base() methods convert between Perl numbers and strings which represent these numbers in other bases. For instance, if you're using the binary digit set [0,1], $calc->to_base(5) will return the string "101". $calc->from_base("101") will return the number 5. To convert between, say, base 7 and base 36, use the 2-step process of first converting to a Perl number, then to the desired base for the result: $calc7 = new Math::BaseCalc(digits=>[0..6]); $calc36 = new Math::BaseCalc(digits=>[0..9,'a'..'z']); $in_base_36 = $calc36->to_base( $calc7->from_base('3506') ); If you just need to handle regular octal & hexdecimal strings, you probably don't need this module. See the sprintf(), oct(), and hex() Perl functions. METHODS
o new Math::BaseCalc o new Math::BaseCalc(digits=>...) Create a new base calculator. You may specify the digit set to use, by either giving the digits in a list reference (in increasing order, with the 'zero' character first in the list) or by specifying the name of one of the predefined digit sets (see the digit() method below). If your digit set includes the character "-", then a dash at the beginning of a number will no longer signify a negative number. o $calc->to_base(NUMBER) Converts a number to a string representing that number in the associated base. If "NUMBER" is a "Math::BigInt" object, "to_base()" will still work fine and give you an exact result string. o $calc->from_base(STRING) Converts a string representing a number in the associated base to a Perl integer. The behavior when fed strings with characters not in $calc's digit set is currently undefined. If "STRING" converts to a number too large for perl's integer representation, beware that the result may be auto-converted to a floating-point representation and thus only be an approximation. o $calc->digits o $calc->digits(...) Get/set the current digit set of the calculator. With no arguments, simply returns a list of the characters that make up the current digit set. To change the current digit set, pass a list reference containing the new digits, or the name of a predefined digit set. Currently the predefined digit sets are: bin => [0,1], hex => [0..9,'a'..'f'], HEX => [0..9,'A'..'F'], oct => [0..7], 64 => ['A'..'Z','a'..'z',0..9,'+','/'], 62 => [0..9,'a'..'z','A'..'Z'], Examples: $calc->digits('bin'); $calc->digits([0..7]); $calc->digits([qw(w a l d o)]); If any of your "digits" has more than one character, the behavior is currently undefined. QUESTIONS
The '64' digit set is meant to be useful for Base64 encoding. I took it from the MIME::Base64.pm module. Does it look right? It's sure in a strange order. AUTHOR
Ken Williams, ken@forum.swarthmore.edu COPYRIGHT
This is free software in the colloquial nice-guy sense of the word. Copyright (c) 1999, Ken Williams. You may redistribute and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.12.3 2011-05-16 Math::BaseCalc(3pm)