Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: q on memmove()
Top Forums Programming q on memmove() Post 302216346 by fsahog on Friday 18th of July 2008 08:13:31 PM
Old 07-18-2008
I would recommend that the writer look into bcopy() and bzero(). If memory serves, they are the original primitives, and thus the most efficient. In the C++ world, string objects help protect the programmer from [him|her]self and tend the details. Certainly this is at the cost of efficiency, but then these days performance is a balance to reuse in the application programming space.

I am sorry to say that there are many environments where the management doesn't want anything but scripting tools like bash/csh/perl/php because they can't afford programmers who know C and C++. Their words, not mine, by the way. So then what I used to think of as prototyping tools now become what is used in production. That means that the security review must include not only software but also the underlying interpreter.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Red Hat

Memmove fail on 4 Gb+ raster under RHEL 64 bit

I'm rotating huge image rasters (1+ GB) using a 3-shear algorithm. I rotate 'in-place' after reallocating the raster. A necessary first step is reorganizing the image in the new raster dimensions that will exist after the rotation. RGBA pixels byte packed into uint32. The following code runs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imagtek
6 Replies
BCOPY(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  BCOPY(3)

NAME
bcopy - copy byte sequence SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> void bcopy(const void *src, void *dest, size_t n); DESCRIPTION
The bcopy() function copies n bytes from src to dest. The result is correct, even when both areas overlap. RETURN VALUE
None. CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. This function is deprecated (marked as LEGACY in POSIX.1-2001): use memcpy(3) or memmove(3) in new programs. Note that the first two arguments are interchanged for memcpy(3) and memmove(3). POSIX.1-2008 removes the specification of bcopy(). SEE ALSO
memccpy(3), memcpy(3), memmove(3), strcpy(3), strncpy(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-03-15 BCOPY(3)