Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Archiving by Time
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Archiving by Time Post 302216154 by aefskysa on Friday 18th of July 2008 05:39:36 AM
Old 07-18-2008
Archiving by Time

Hi all. I am trying to set up archiving of directories, such that I keep every directory made in the past week, but just one directory per week beyond that. Using the find command, I can easily delete everything more than one week old, but can not figure out how to save one.

Each directory contains a single zip file. I'd prefer to keep the one with the largest zip file, but this is not necessary. If someone can tell me how I can keep just one directory, regardless of criteria, I would be greatly appreciative.

I realize that this could probably be done by hand, but a zip file and directory is created ~every 30 minutes, so it would be rather tedious.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

EDIT: This archiving is currently done (deleting everything more than a week old) in a shell script that is called by the program. This script creates and moves the zip file from a bunch of jpg's. Hence, I figured this was the correct sub-forum. If not, let me know and I will be glad to move it.

Last edited by aefskysa; 07-18-2008 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: Addition

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Archiving

I am looking for some advice. I have some files on a Unix server, which contain symbolic links. I need to copy these over to a nfts environment, but wish to keep the symbolic links intact. Any ideas? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmasonuk
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving Users

Hello Gurus, I have a requirement where I have to remove users that have not logged into our unix box last 90 days. I want to script this one and remove the users automatically now and then. Has any one ever done this before, if so please give me some sample code. I am not a good unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suseesk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving

Hi, I want to archive below directory ex: /home/oracle/dd0 sub-directories in dd0 /home/oracle/dd0/backup/backup1 /home/oracle/dd0/backup/backup2 /home/oracle/dd0/dmp ....etc I want a command(tar) which will let me archive the above directory excluding *.dmp(dump files), *.log(log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Archiving Problem

Hi friends I work on UNIX Operating system and I have many servers. ADM server make archiving for special data every day inside XYZ directory at specific time,the next time SPERADM server will take that archiving data to put them in same directory (inside SPERADM server). Now archiving... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bintaleb
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Archiving and move files in the same time

Hi All, I have tried so many command but none work like i wanted. I would like archive which i assume it will move the files and archive it somewhere. for example: if i have a folder and files: /home/blah/test /home/blah/hello /home/blah/foo/bar i would like to archive folder... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00kie88
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with archiving using find

Dear Unix Experts, I am trying to backup some legacy data based on date. I am pasting a small portion from the ls -al command from my session for reference. athena>ls -al ./nmr/exam1d_13C: total 32 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 May 1 2008 1/ drwxrwxrwx 3 root ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaison75
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple archiving

Hi, I am a UNIX novice and was trying to write a bash script that would read two parameters, $1 would be the archive file path where the archiving path is passed, so the archiving script will write to this file path. The second parameter will be the directory path to the library which will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pernuntium
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to reduce time of archiving

hi all, i have written the following script that does this work: 1. copy large logs files from one server to another. 2. then unzip this files and extraxt from these large https logs only those fields that are neccesary. 3. then archive the extracted logs to new files. BUT the problem is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving or removing few data from log file in real time

Hi, I have a log file that gets updated every second. Currently the size has grown to 20+ GB. I need to have a command/script, that will try to get the actual size of the file and will remove 50% of the data that are in the log file. I don't mind removing the data as the size has grown to huge... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Souvik Patra
8 Replies
ARK(1)								 KDE User's Manual							    ARK(1)

NAME
ark - KDE archiving tool SYNOPSIS
ark [-b] [-a] [-e] [-c] [-f suffix] [-p] [-t file] [-d] [-o directory] [KDE Generic Options] [Qt(TM) Generic Options] DESCRIPTION
Ark is a program for managing various compressed file formats within KDE. Archives can be viewed, extracted, created and modified with Ark. The program can handle various formats such as tar, gzip, bzip2, zip, rar (when the appropriate libraries or command-line programs are installed). OPERATION MODES
Ark can be used either as a stand-alone GUI program as well as a command-line program in order to perform some specific tasks. If invoked without the -b (--batch) or -c (--add) options, Ark is started as a normal GUI program. When the -b (--batch) option is used, Ark can be used to extract the contents of one or more files directly from the command-line, without launching its GUI. When the -c (--add) option is used, Ark prompts for files that should be added to a new archive or to an existing archive. OPTIONS
-d, --dialog Show a dialog for specifying the options for a batch or add operation. -o, --destination directory Default the extraction directory to directory. If not passed, the current path is used. Options for adding files -c, --add Query the user for an archive filename and add specified files to it. Quit when finished. -t, --add-to filename Add the specified files to filename. Create archive if it does not exist. Quit when finished. -p, --changetofirstpath Change the current directory to the first entry and add all other entries relative to this one. -f, --autofilename suffix Automatically choose a filename, with the selected suffix (for example rar, tar.gz, zip or any other supported types). Options for batch extraction b, --batch Use the batch interface instead of the usual dialog. This option is implied if more than one url is specified. -e, --autodestination The destination argument will be set to the path of the first file supplied. -a, --autosubfolder Archive contents will be read, and if detected to not be a single folder archive, a subfolder by the name of the archive will be created. EXAMPLES
ark --batch archive.tar.bz2 Will extract archive.tar.bz2 into the current directory without showing any GUI. ark -b -d archive.tar.bz2 archive2.zip Will first show an extraction options dialog and then extract both archive.tar.bz2 and archive2.zip into the directory chosen in the dialog. ark --add-to my-archive.zip photo1.jpg text.txt Will create my-archive.zip if does not exist and then add photo1.jpg and text.txt to it. AUTHORS
Ark is currently maintained by Harald Hvaal haraldhv@stud.ntnu.no and Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito@gmail.com. This man page was first written by Lauri Watts lauri@kde.org in 2005 for KDE 3.4, and was later updated in 2009 by Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito@gmail.com. AUTHORS
Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org> Author. Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito@gmail.com> Author. K Desktop Environment 2.13 (KD 2009-09-10 ARK(1)