Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help need in modifying the text of .txt file Post 302215947 by vinna on Thursday 17th of July 2008 02:39:31 PM
Old 07-17-2008
Help need in modifying the text of .txt file

Hi All,

I've written a shell script in which i defined two varibles

for example:

str=1.0.0.15
timeStamp=2008.03.08

now using this varibles i need to modify a text file.

The text content looks like this

* packageNumber : 1.0.0.14 *
* date : 2008.02.08 *

after executing the shell script, the text must look like this

* packageNumber : 1.0.0.15 *
* date : 2008.03.08 *

Could anybody help me in resolving this issue?

Thanks,
Vinna

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: taking text from a .txt file

How would i go about the following, I open a text document with loads of text, about 150 lines e.g. "Best Time: 02:55.88" How would i get perl just to take the time and put into a variable but also be able to take any time like that from the file?? i've done this so far to open the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for removing text from a txt file

Hello, So I wanted to write a very simple script to remove some information from a text file and save it as something else. For example I have a text file (let's call it txt) with three rows of numbers: 0 0 1 9 8 7 5 0 6 7 9 0 0 7 9 8 1 1 6 4 0 6 0 0 9 8 4 6 0 9 2 8 1 And I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text and modifying the file

I am in a dire need of doing this job , please help from shell script or perl script. It will be highly appreciated. Please have a look at the following INPUT file; The first 14 rows are not of interest but I want them to be included in the output file as they are. From the row 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in extracting text present between two headers in .txt file

Hi All, Please help me out in fllowing problem. I have text file which contains the data in following format. Contents of file.txt are setregid02 Test that setregid() fails and sets the proper errno values when a non-root user attemps to change the real or effective... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varshit
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Copy and paste text from a word document into a txt file in vi

Hello, Can anybody please tell me how we can copy and paste text from a word document into a text file that we are editing in vi? Is it possible to do that while we are editing the text file in vi in insert mode? Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Small query on modifying the text of file

Hi, I have file with the following text, /analysis2012/533/mc_S10_533/DYJets50/vgtree_1_1_33l.root /analysis2012/533/mc_S10_533/DYJets50/vgtree_2_5_33l.root /analysis2012/533/mc_S10_533/DYJets50/vgtree_6_7_33l.root and many such files. For some operation on these files, I would like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
9 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

2 Questions: replace text in txt file, add text to end of txt file

so... Lets assume I have a text file. The text file contains multiple "#" symbols. I want to replace all thos "#"s with a STRING using DOS/Batch I want to add a certain TEXT to the end of each line. How can I do this WITHOUT aid of sed, grep or anything linux related ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script extract text from txt file with grep

All, I require a script that grabs some text from the gitHub API and will grep (or other function) for a string a characters that starts with (") quotes followed by two letters, may contain a pipe |, and ending with ) . What i have so far is below but it's not returning anything. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChocoTaco
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicate sequences and modifying a text file

Hi. I've tried several different programs to try and solve this problem, but none of them seem to have done exactly what I want (and I need the file in a very specific format). I have a large file of DNA sequences in a multifasta file like this, with around 15 000 genes: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4galaxy7
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying text file records, find data in one place in the record and print it elsewhere

Hello, I have some text data that is in the form of multi-line records. Each record ends with the string $$$$ and the next record starts on the next line. RDKit 2D 15 14 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0999 V2000 5.4596 2.1267 0.0000 C 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
5 Replies
YEXPAND(1)						      General Commands Manual							YEXPAND(1)

NAME
yexpand - tool to expand environment variables in Nypatchy cradles SYNOPSIS
yexpand inputfile [ outputfile ] DESCRIPTION
yexpand is a very simple script to expand environment variables in a text file to their current values in the shell environment. It was written to be used with nypatchy cradles. It is recommended you not try to use it for any other purposes (note BUGS below). USAGE
yexpand takes inputfile as input, replaces all instances of shell variables (in the form $VARIABLE or ${VARIABLE}) with their current val- ues in the environment, and saves the result to outputfile. Undefined variables are replaced with the empty string. If outputfile is not given, the result is instead saved to the current directory as a file of the same name as inputfile. Thus an input file in the current directory will be overwritten. BUGS
This script is very simple-minded. Since it basically just echos its input file as a here-doc, it will attempt to perform all types of shell substitution (command substitution, etc.) as well as variable substitution. Hence it is likely to fail on anything except the very simplest text files. Additionally, this script creates a temporary file. The file is created in the current directory, so there should not be security implica- tions. However, any existing file named file.yexp (where file is the basename of inputfile) in the current directory will be overwritten and then deleted. SEE ALSO
fcasplit(1), nycheck(1), nydiff(1), nyindex(1), nylist(1), nymerge(1), nypatchy(1), nyshell(1), nysynopt(1), nytidy(1) The reference manual for the Nypatchy suite of programs is available in compressed PostScript format at the following URL: http://wwwasdoc.web.cern.ch/wwwasdoc/psdir/p5refman.ps.gz AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Kevin McCarty <kmccarty@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). It is licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later (at your choice). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) Kevin B. McCarty, 2008. Mar 12, 2008 YEXPAND(1)