Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: memset vs calloc
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users memset vs calloc Post 302215839 by osulinux on Thursday 17th of July 2008 09:05:01 AM
Old 07-17-2008
The reason is that calloc() implies array access. They are not treating the memory area as an array here so use malloc(). calloc() is rarely used it seems to me, and in this case would not make any sense to use. Think about it, what would you make an array of in this case, what type?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

about memset fuction

Dear all, In my code,i am planning to use memset function to re-initialise an array before populating it everytime. Will using memset function be an overload to the program? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranj@chn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

questions in memset

HI all , please find the piece of code below char *t; char *f; char buf; memset(buf,0,50); after that i am assigning memory for (i=0; i<100; i++) { t = buf+(i*6); f = "ARUN"; } my question .. 1) i have run this it is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
7 Replies

3. Solaris

application Crashes on memset ?? any suggestions

Hi All, we have an application that is written in 'C' programming to connects to various servers in the organization. The bellow code establish a TCP connection to connect to the remote servers. the application works perfectly ok, but, after some time the entire process get's crashed and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudharma
2 Replies

4. Programming

C bzero() to memset() issue

Hi guys, my tool works fine in gentoo, ubuntu now im trying to port it to windows but bzero/bcopy I read aren't working on windows and for better portability I should of use memset() so im trying to translate bzero(buffer,256);in printf("MAIL TO"); strcpy(buffer, rcp); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jess83
4 Replies

5. Programming

Calloc C++

Hello all, I have a confusion with calloc function : wz. the difference between the following 2 statemnts: char *ptr; char = (char*)calloc(num, sizeof(char)); char = (char*)calloc(num, sizeof(char*)); Am really confused!!!!! ---------- Post updated at 09:32 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mind@work
1 Replies

6. Programming

Iterating and calloc questions.

Whilst creating the function readjust_descr I have stumble across what may be a problem or something that might just work. I was hoping someone could look at the code below and tell me if readjust_descr will clear all null pointers from the structure descr_list. struct descr descr_list =... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Errigour
6 Replies

7. Programming

calloc fails: 'Cannot allocate memory'

Hi , experts. I work on Linux station (RedHat 5.7), regular user, but have root password. %> uname -a Linux ran1log06 2.6.18-238.1.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jan 4 13:32:19 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux %> cat /etc/issue Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.7 (Tikanga) Kernel \r on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baruchgu
5 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Memset fails on Solaris

Hi, memset call is failing on solaris for me. I wrote below code and that also fails. Any hints? void *memset(void *dst, int c, size_t n) { if (n) { char *d = dst; do { *d++ = c; } while (--n); } return dst; } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
2 Replies
MALLOC(2)							System Calls Manual							 MALLOC(2)

NAME
malloc, free, realloc, calloc - memory allocator SYNOPSIS
#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> void* malloc(long size) void free(void *ptr) void* realloc(void *ptr, long size) void* calloc(long nelem, long elsize) DESCRIPTION
Malloc and free provide a simple memory allocation package. Malloc returns a pointer to a new block of at least size bytes. The block is suitably aligned for storage of any type of object. No two active pointers from malloc will have the same value. The argument to free is a pointer to a block previously allocated by malloc; this space is made available for further allocation. It is legal to free a null pointer; the effect is a no-op. Realloc changes the size of the block pointed to by ptr to size bytes and returns a pointer to the (possibly moved) block. The contents will be unchanged up to the lesser of the new and old sizes. The call realloc(0, size) means the same as Calloc allocates space for an array of nelem elements of size elsize. The space is initialized to zeros. Free frees such a block. Alef Except for calloc, these routines are available from Alef; they use the same arena as alloc. Malloc and realloc execute a check when they fail, rather than return nil. Memory returned by malloc is cleared. Realloc does not guarantee new memory is cleared unless ptr is nil. SOURCE
/sys/src/libc/port/malloc.c SEE ALSO
brk(2) DIAGNOSTICS
Malloc, realloc and calloc return 0 if there is no available memory. Errstr is likely to be set. BUGS
The different specification of calloc is bizarre. User errors can corrupt the storage arena. The most common gaffes are (1) freeing an already freed block, (2) storing beyond the bounds of an allocated block, and (3) freeing data that was not obtained from the allocator. When malloc and free detect such corruption, they abort. MALLOC(2)