Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Usage of exit() inside a signal handler Post 302215720 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 17th of July 2008 04:59:05 AM
Old 07-17-2008
You should not call stdC library functions like fwrite in a signal handler. They are not atomic, so they may not complete in the event of multiple signals. Try write().

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script signal handler

AIX 4.3.3 I am trying to write a signal handler into a ksh shell script. I would like to capture the SIGTERM, SIGINT, and the SIGTSTP signals, print out a message to the terminal, and continue executing the script. I have found a way to block the signals: #! /bin/ksh SIGTERM=15 SIGINT=2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
2 Replies

2. Programming

signal handler for SIGCHLD

Hi, I have an c++ application which uses the function fork and execvp(). The parent does not wait until the child ends. The parents just creates children and let them do their stuff. You can see the parent program as a batch-manager. I have added a SIGCHLD handler to the program: void... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jens
3 Replies

3. Programming

signal handler problems

Hey guys, I am trying to write a little shell, and was writing a signal handler to handle SIGINT (I am using 'stty intr ^C' and using ctrl-C to give SIGINT). I wrote this signal handler: void handle_sigint() { write(2,"handling sigint\n",16); write(1,"\nshell% ",8); } ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
4 Replies

4. Programming

Runaway SIGALRM signal handler

I have written a program to demonstrate a problem I have encountered when using BSD style asynchronous input using the O_ASYNC flag in conjunction with a real time interval timer sending regular SIGALRM signals to the program. The SIGIO handler obeys all safe practices, using only an atomic update... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stewartw
8 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with signal handler and interrupted system call

Hi, I have a daq program that runs in an infinite loop until it receives SIGINT. A handler catches the signal and sets a flag to stop the while loop. After the loop some things have to be cleaned up. The problem is that I want my main while loop to wait until the next full second begins, to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soeckel
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Problems with Signal Handler

I have a problem with signal handlers not working. I have a long 1000 line code and somehow this code for signal handling is not working: $SIG{INT} = \&interrupt; sub interrupt { print STDERR "Caught a control c!\n"; exit; # or just about anything else you'd want to do } Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
2 Replies

7. Programming

Signal Handler Hangs

Hi, I have a problem with signal handler algorithm in linux. My code is hanging ( It is continuously looping inside the signal handler) . I am pasting my code here... Please provide me some help regarding this. I googled many places and wrote this code.. but doesnt seem to be working without... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sree_ec
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Signal Handler

I was working on some Perl code that does signal handling and I came across this one liner and wasn't sure what it was doing. local $SIG{__DIE__} = sub {$! = 2; die $_;}; I think the first part of the anonymous subroutine is setting $! to 2, but I am not sure what the second part is doing. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SFNYC
1 Replies

9. Programming

problem in doing coding of signal handler

i m unble to execute code of signal handler using a) Wait b) Waitpid (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhura
1 Replies

10. Programming

Serial port signal(IRQ) handler (using C)

Hello, I'm writing some serial(UART) handler but have stuck on few issues, maybe anyone can help to show me what I'm doing wrong. Basically I'm intending to write serial RX signal handler. Application receives defined packages of data over serial which contains header and payload. Handler... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lauris_k
3 Replies
sigtrap(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      sigtrap(3pm)

NAME
sigtrap - Perl pragma to enable simple signal handling SYNOPSIS
use sigtrap; use sigtrap qw(stack-trace old-interface-signals); # equivalent use sigtrap qw(BUS SEGV PIPE ABRT); use sigtrap qw(die INT QUIT); use sigtrap qw(die normal-signals); use sigtrap qw(die untrapped normal-signals); use sigtrap qw(die untrapped normal-signals stack-trace any error-signals); use sigtrap 'handler' => &my_handler, 'normal-signals'; use sigtrap qw(handler my_handler normal-signals stack-trace error-signals); DESCRIPTION
The sigtrap pragma is a simple interface to installing signal handlers. You can have it install one of two handlers supplied by sigtrap itself (one which provides a Perl stack trace and one which simply "die()"s), or alternately you can supply your own handler for it to install. It can be told only to install a handler for signals which are either untrapped or ignored. It has a couple of lists of signals to trap, plus you can supply your own list of signals. The arguments passed to the "use" statement which invokes sigtrap are processed in order. When a signal name or the name of one of sigtrap's signal lists is encountered a handler is immediately installed, when an option is encountered it affects subsequently installed handlers. OPTIONS
SIGNAL HANDLERS These options affect which handler will be used for subsequently installed signals. stack-trace The handler used for subsequently installed signals outputs a Perl stack trace to STDERR and then tries to dump core. This is the default signal handler. die The handler used for subsequently installed signals calls "die" (actually "croak") with a message indicating which signal was caught. handler your-handler your-handler will be used as the handler for subsequently installed signals. your-handler can be any value which is valid as an assignment to an element of %SIG. See perlvar for examples of handler functions. SIGNAL LISTS sigtrap has a few built-in lists of signals to trap. They are: normal-signals These are the signals which a program might normally expect to encounter and which by default cause it to terminate. They are HUP, INT, PIPE and TERM. error-signals These signals usually indicate a serious problem with the Perl interpreter or with your script. They are ABRT, BUS, EMT, FPE, ILL, QUIT, SEGV, SYS and TRAP. old-interface-signals These are the signals which were trapped by default by the old sigtrap interface, they are ABRT, BUS, EMT, FPE, ILL, PIPE, QUIT, SEGV, SYS, TERM, and TRAP. If no signals or signals lists are passed to sigtrap, this list is used. For each of these three lists, the collection of signals set to be trapped is checked before trapping; if your architecture does not implement a particular signal, it will not be trapped but rather silently ignored. OTHER untrapped This token tells sigtrap to install handlers only for subsequently listed signals which aren't already trapped or ignored. any This token tells sigtrap to install handlers for all subsequently listed signals. This is the default behavior. signal Any argument which looks like a signal name (that is, "/^[A-Z][A-Z0-9]*$/") indicates that sigtrap should install a handler for that name. number Require that at least version number of sigtrap is being used. EXAMPLES
Provide a stack trace for the old-interface-signals: use sigtrap; Ditto: use sigtrap qw(stack-trace old-interface-signals); Provide a stack trace on the 4 listed signals only: use sigtrap qw(BUS SEGV PIPE ABRT); Die on INT or QUIT: use sigtrap qw(die INT QUIT); Die on HUP, INT, PIPE or TERM: use sigtrap qw(die normal-signals); Die on HUP, INT, PIPE or TERM, except don't change the behavior for signals which are already trapped or ignored: use sigtrap qw(die untrapped normal-signals); Die on receipt one of an of the normal-signals which is currently untrapped, provide a stack trace on receipt of any of the error-signals: use sigtrap qw(die untrapped normal-signals stack-trace any error-signals); Install my_handler() as the handler for the normal-signals: use sigtrap 'handler', &my_handler, 'normal-signals'; Install my_handler() as the handler for the normal-signals, provide a Perl stack trace on receipt of one of the error-signals: use sigtrap qw(handler my_handler normal-signals stack-trace error-signals); perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 sigtrap(3pm)