Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help!! manipulating file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help!! manipulating file Post 302215553 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 16th of July 2008 05:06:44 PM
Old 07-16-2008
By 'flipping around' if you mean fully reversing the order of and you are on linux try the tac command --
Code:
grep '^SET ' filename > newfile
sed -n '/^SET/,/$/p' filename | tac -  >> newfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Manipulating output file

I have a file containing two fields, Name and Time, with about 57 lines in this file. I am struggling to create a loop that will cut out the first ten lines of this file and echo it to the screen. Can anybody help me please. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mariner
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a text file

hey guys, need ur expert help. m a core banker got stuck in someting techie and cant find a solution have manged to extract a file from oracle apps in a format that looks something like this... REC- A b c d x INV- A b... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: komalkg
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Manipulating File

Help...please. I have a log that contains Warning Authentication Failed: User GHDT88998HS doesn't exit: The User GHDT88998HS could not be found Mar 22, 2008 5:22:22AM com.hometel.ttm.auth.userlogin. about maybe a thousand entries failed user acct message How can I grab just the username... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rivendell500
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a file and manipulating the contents

Hi I have a text file as follows BOB 14/14 TOM 94/94 SAM 3/3 CRIS 13/13 TOM 6/6 CRIS 27/27 SAM 2/2 JACK 25/25 CRIS (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellignorant
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating the etc/passwd file with sed

How can i use sed to extract the user name and home directory from the /etc/passwd/ file on my server. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a file

Hi everybody, I need an urgent help with a BASH script. I have file which contains (besides the other data) the lines with the following structure identified by with keyword PCList: <PARAMETER NAME="PCList" TYPE="LIST_STRUCTURE" MODEL="{,}" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameucho
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Manipulating Large Csv File

Hello everyone, I am trying to manipulate a large .csv file where I have output similar to the following - http://imgur.com/TEXD8.png The result that I am looking for would be to consolidate the first column, but combine the second and third column so it still relates to the first. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxwohxx
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating csv file

We need to convert a field in a csv file which is in cents to dollars.(divide by 100) in our shell script. Can some body help me? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepthz
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help on manipulating a file

Hi, I need a shell/command to achieve this task. I've a delimited unloaded file from oracle in a scrambled format as shown below with many blank lines in it, I'm just trying to tailor it in a format that would be compatible to view and load it to a IDS db. Here is the problem ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: divak
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating column in a file in UNIX

Hi I have a file content.txt where I want to replace the value of second column of the file with half of the value of that column. I only have to replace if the second column starts with COM_, rest all values have to be same eg, cat content.txt |COM_A|123|JHV|8475 |ABC|2765|BV|876... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
7 Replies
diffmk(1)							   User Commands							 diffmk(1)

NAME
diffmk - mark differences between versions of a troff input file SYNOPSIS
diffmk oldfile newfile markedfile DESCRIPTION
diffmk compares two versions of a file and creates a third version that includes "change mark" (.mc) commands for nroff(1) and troff(1). oldfile and newfile are the old and new versions of the file. diffmk generates markedfile, which, contains the text from newfile with troff(1) "change mark" requests (.mc) inserted where newfile differs from oldfile. When markedfile is formatted, changed or inserted text is shown by | at the right margin of each line. The position of deleted text is shown by a single *. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of diffmk when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 An example of the diffmk command. diffmk can also be used in conjunction with the proper troff requests to produce program listings with marked changes. In the following command line: example% diffmk old.c new.c marked.c ; nroff reqs marked.c | pr the file reqs contains the following troff requests: .pl 1 .ll 77 .nf .eo .nh which eliminate page breaks, adjust the line length, set no-fill mode, ignore escape characters, and turn off hyphenation, respectively. If the characters | and * are inappropriate, you might run markedfile through sed(1) to globally change them. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), nroff(1), sed(1), troff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) BUGS
Aesthetic considerations may dictate manual adjustment of some output. File differences involving only formatting requests may produce undesirable output, that is, replacing .sp by .sp 2 will produce a "change mark" on the preceding or following line of output. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 diffmk(1)