Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get number char from a string Post 302215524 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 16th of July 2008 02:42:19 PM
Old 07-16-2008
If you are using ksh93 you do not need to invoke external utilities like cut or sed. The following will work
Code:
$ str="/rmsprd/arch01/rmsprd/rmsprdarch72736.log"
$ print $str
/rmsprd/arch01/rmsprd/rmsprdarch72736.log
$ print ${str/*([[:print:]])({5}(\d)).log/\2}
$

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of specific char in a string.

I wish to compute the number of dot chars in a string. Example: VAR="aaaa.bbbbb.cccc" I try the shortest command to solve this test. Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Giovanni (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
7 Replies

2. Programming

Compare Char to String

This is actually a c++ question... Basically I am creating a program that asks for five characters. I have a dictionary file containing tons of words no long than five letters long, on a seperate line. I want to be able to take the five inputted letters and compare them to the words in the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

last char from a string

i have a script that reads a plain text file. (its a ksh, and i can use bash also) each line of the file is a fullpath of a file. that makes the list huge. i need to add a functionalitie to that script, i have to be able to add /usr/* or /usr/ and with that reference all the files and folders... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing char string

I am stumped! I need to parse an input parameter to a script that has the form '-Ort'. I basically need 'O', 'r' and 't', i.e. the individual characters in the string parsed. Since there are no delimiters, I don't know how awk could do this. Can someone tell how to do this, this should be a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALTRUNVRSOFLN
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find number of char occur

To find out number of "|" symbol is available in file: Input: a|b|c|d|z Ouput: 4 I am using below set of commands,It is working... Anybody have anyother solution using sed / awk. cnt=`wc -c <1.txt` cnt1=`tr -d "|" <1.txt >c.dat` cnt2=`wc -c <c.dat` outp=`expr $cnt... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
19 Replies

6. Programming

PERL \c char in the string

Hi guys, I am stuck up in a situation. I have a SUN box with certain logs which I need to parse to draw a report using Perl. Now, when I load the text file using a perl degugger to see how the text looks like when the first line of the log file is read in a variable. below is the snapshot of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
2 Replies

7. Programming

C++ Using open on a string instead of char*

I am using ifstream to open a file using std::fstream::open void open ( const char * filename, ios_base::openmode mode = ios_base::in ); However I want to use a string instead of a char* as follows but having a problem on how to do this string val_ifmodl = “fred.modl” ifstream ifs_modl;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count number of char?

hello how can i cont number of char with loop coomand? i dont want to use wc or other special command the script should check all word's char. one by one also a counter can handle the number As noted in other threads started today. This is not the correct forum for homework assignments. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove char if not a number

I need to write a BASH script that takes a 2 character string and removes the second character if it is not a digit e.g. If the string is numberical value >9 e.g. string1 = '34' then leave string1 = '34'. However if the string is <10 e.g. string1 = '3X' then remove the second char (which... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: millsy5
7 Replies
Agent::Message(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Agent::Message(3pm)

NAME
Log::Agent::Message - a log message SYNOPSIS
require Log::Agent::Message; my $msg = Log::Agent::Message->make("string"); $msg->prepend("string"); $msg->append("string"); my $copy = $msg->clone; print "Message is $msg "; # overloaded stringification DESCRIPTION
The Log::Agent::Message class represents an original log message (a string) to which one may prepend or append other strings, but with the special property that prepended strings aggregate themselves in FIFO order, whilst appended strings aggregate themselves in LIFO order, which is counter-intuitive at first sight. In plain words, this means that the last routine that prepends something to the message will get its prepended string right next to the original string, regardless of what could have been prepended already. The behaviour is symetric for appending. INTERFACE
The following routines are available: append($str) Append suppled string $str to the original string (given at creation time), at the head of all existing appended strings. append_last($str) Append suppled string $str to the original string (given at creation time), at the tail of all existing appended strings. clone Clone the message. This is not a shallow clone, because the list of prepended and appended strings is recreated. However it is not a deep clone, because the items held in those lists are merely copied (this would matter only when other objects with overloaded stringification routines were supplied to prepend() and append(), which is not the case today in the basic Log::Agent framework). make($string) This is the creation routine. prepend($str) Prepend supplied string $str to the original string (given at creation time), at the tail of all existing prepended strings. prepend_first($str) Prepend supplied string $str to the original string (given at creation time), at the head of all existing prepended strings. stringify This is the overloaded "" operator, which returns the complete string composed of all the prepended strings, the original string, and all the appended strings. AUTHOR
Raphael Manfredi <Raphael_Manfredi@pobox.com> SEE ALSO
Log::Agent(3). perl v5.10.0 2002-03-09 Agent::Message(3pm)