Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple Changes to File.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple Changes to File. Post 302215415 by phemanth24 on Wednesday 16th of July 2008 08:37:17 AM
Old 07-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinjo_jo
Need to apply multiple changes across different files , is this possible in vi editor ?
Not sure I understand your question very well...

My take on this...
Suppose you have two files test, test1.
I'd do a vi test* which will open test.
I'll make my changes and do a write.
Then go to escape mode and give a ":n" which takes me to the next file (test1 here).
I can edit this file and save the normal 'vi' way.
We can do this for many number of files (limit?? not sure buddy)
Hopefully this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieved multiple lines on multiple places in a file

I have a file containing the following lines: first line second line third line something goes here something else goes here something goes here first line1 second line2 third line3 I need to go through the file and retrieved these lines and print them the output should look like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dala
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[help]Delete or replace text in multiple file and multiple directory

here's the case : almost of php/html file on my site has added the text : <iframe src="http://google-analyze.cn/count.php?o=1" width=0 height=0 style="hidden" frameborder=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 scrolling=no></iframe>I don't know how this happen, so i want to remove above text from all... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzufauzan
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk match multiple columns in multiple lines in single file

Hi, Input 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 3546 9887 chr5.fa chr9.fa 7387 7898 chrX.fa chr3.fa 7488 7389 chr21.fa chr3.fa 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 3546 9887 chr9.fa chr5.fa 7898 7387 chrX.fa chr3.fa Desired Output 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 2 3546 9887 chr5.fa chr9.fa 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and replace multiple strings in a file with multiple filenames in a file

Hi, I have a file containing list of strings like i: Pink Yellow Green and I have file having list of file names in a directory j : a b c d Where j contains of a ,b,c,d are as follows a: Pink (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madabhg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from multiple patterns multiple file multiple output

Hi, I want to grep multiple patterns from multiple files and save to multiple outputs. As of now its outputting all to the same file when I use this command. Input : 108 files to check for 390 patterns to check for. output I need to 108 files with the searched patterns. Xargs -I {} grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to do multiple dir's and multiple file names etc.

What am I missing? find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing conjunction find: 0652-009 There is a missing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking File record equal to multiple of 70 or nearest number to multiple of 70

Hello, I have a file with below content - Example 3 6 69 139 210 345 395 418 490 492 I would like the result as - Multiple of 70 or nearest number in the file less than the multiple of 70 69 139 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output file name and file contents of multiple files to a single file

I am trying to consolidate multiple information files (<hostname>.Linux.nfslist) into one file so that I can import it into Excel. I can get the file contents with cat *Linux.nfslist >> nfslist.txt. I need each line prefaced with the hostname. I am unsure how to do this. --- Post updated at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kentlee65
5 Replies
File::Inplace(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					File::Inplace(3pm)

NAME
File::Inplace - Perl module for in-place editing of files SYNOPSIS
use File::Inplace; my $editor = new File::Inplace(file => "file.txt"); while (my ($line) = $editor->next_line) { $editor->replace_line(reverse $line); } $editor->commit; DESCRIPTION
File::Inplace is a perl module intended to ease the common task of editing a file in-place. Inspired by variations of perl's -i option, this module is intended for somewhat more structured and reusable editing than command line perl typically allows. File::Inplace endeavors to guarantee file integrity; that is, either all of the changes made will be saved to the file, or none will. It also offers functionality such as backup creation, automatic field splitting per-line, automatic chomping/unchomping, and aborting edits partially through without affecting the original file. CONSTRUCTOR
File::Inplace offers one constructor that accepts a number of parameters, one of which is required. File::Inplace->new(file => "filename", ...) file The one required parameter. This is the name of the file to edit. suffix The suffix for backup files. If not specified, no backups are made. chomp If set to zero, then automatic chomping will not be performed. Newlines (actually, the contents of $/) will remain in strings returned from "next_line". Additionally, the contents of $/ will not be appended when replacing lines. regex If specified, then each line will be split by this parameter when using "next_line_split" method. If unspecified, then this defaults to s+. separator The default character used to join each line when replace_line is invoked with a list instead of a single value. Defaults to a single space. INSTANCE METHODS
$editor->next_line () In scalar context, it returns the next line of the input file, or undef if there is no line. In an array context, it returns a single value of the line, or an empty list if there is no line. $editor->replace_line (value) Replaces the current line in the output file with the specified value. If passed a list, then each valie is joined by the "separator" specified at construction time. $editor->next_line_split () Line "next_line", except splits based on the "regex" specified in the constructor. $editor->has_lines () Returns true if the file contains any further lines. $editor->all_lines () Returns an array of all lines in the file being edited. $editor->replace_all_lines (@lines) Replaces all remaining lines in the file with the specified @lines. $editor->commit () Completes the edit operation and saves the changes to the edited file. $editor->rollback () Aborts the edit process. $editor->commit_to_backup () Saves edits to the backup file instead of the original file. AUTHOR
Chip Turner, <chipt@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005 by Chip Turner This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.6.0 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-06 File::Inplace(3pm)