Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Merge two strings not from files Post 302215209 by Ygor on Tuesday 15th of July 2008 09:54:54 PM
Old 07-15-2008
Try...
Code:
set -- $str2
for i in $str1
do
  echo $i $1
  shift
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files of differrent size with one field common in both files using awk

hi, i am facing a problem in merging two files using awk, the problem is as stated below, file1: A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|1 M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|2 AA|BB|CC|DD|EE|FF|GG|HH|II|1 .... .... .... file2 : 1|Mn|op|qr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi1982
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 2 files

Hello, i'd like a bash script to merge 2 files without duplicate lines. Example : file1 : toto titi file2 : toto tata Expected result, file3 : toto (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celmar
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking in a directory how many files are present and basing on that merge all the files

Hi, My requirement is,there is a directory location like: :camp/current/ In this location there can be different flat files that are generated in a single day with same header and the data will be different, differentiated by timestamp, so i need to verify how many files are generated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files and generate a resume in two files

Dear Gents, Please I need your help... I need small script :) to do the following. I have a thousand of files in a folder produced daily. I need first to merge all files called. txt (0009.txt, 0010.txt, 0011.txt) and and to output a resume of all information on 2 separate files in csv... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
14 Replies

6. Programming

Merge two strings by overlapped region

Hello, I am trying to concatenate two strings by merging the overlapped region. E.g. Seq1=ACGTGCCC Seq2=CCCCCGTGTGTGT Seq_merged=ACGTGCCCCCGTGTGTGTFunction strcat(char *dest, char *src) appends the src string to the dest string, ignoring the overlapped parts (prefix of src and suffix of dest).... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
30 Replies

7. Programming

Perl script to merge cells in column1 which has same strings, for all sheets in a excel workbook

Perl script to merge cells ---------- Post updated at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:54 AM ---------- I am using below code to read files from a dir and print to excel. open(my $in, '<', $file) or die "Could not open file: $!"; my $rowCount = 0; my $colCount = 0;... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jack_Bruce
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge strings from a file into a template

I am preparing a morphological grammar of Marathi to be placed in open-source. I have two files. The first file called Adverbs contains a whole list of words, one word per line A sample is given below: आधी इतक इतपत उलट एवढ ऐवजी कड कडनं कडल कडील कडून कडे करता करिता खाल (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge strings with ignore case

I have a bi-lingual database of a large number of dictionaries. It so happens that in some a given string is in upper case and in others it is in lower case. An example will illustrate the issue. toll Tax=पथ-कर Toll tax=राहदारी कर toll tax=टोल I want to treat all three instances of toll tax... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies
LEVENSHTEIN(3)								 1							    LEVENSHTEIN(3)

levenshtein - Calculate Levenshtein distance between two strings

SYNOPSIS
int levenshtein (string $str1, string $str2) DESCRIPTION
int levenshtein (string $str1, string $str2, int $cost_ins, int $cost_rep, int $cost_del) The Levenshtein distance is defined as the minimal number of characters you have to replace, insert or delete to transform $str1 into $str2. The complexity of the algorithm is O(m*n), where n and m are the length of $str1 and $str2 (rather good when compared to simi- lar_text(3), which is O(max(n,m)**3), but still expensive). In its simplest form the function will take only the two strings as parameter and will calculate just the number of insert, replace and delete operations needed to transform $str1 into $str2. A second variant will take three additional parameters that define the cost of insert, replace and delete operations. This is more general and adaptive than variant one, but not as efficient. PARAMETERS
o $str1 - One of the strings being evaluated for Levenshtein distance. o $str2 - One of the strings being evaluated for Levenshtein distance. o $cost_ins - Defines the cost of insertion. o $cost_rep - Defines the cost of replacement. o $cost_del - Defines the cost of deletion. RETURN VALUES
This function returns the Levenshtein-Distance between the two argument strings or -1, if one of the argument strings is longer than the limit of 255 characters. EXAMPLES
Example #1 levenshtein(3) example <?php // input misspelled word $input = 'carrrot'; // array of words to check against $words = array('apple','pineapple','banana','orange', 'radish','carrot','pea','bean','potato'); // no shortest distance found, yet $shortest = -1; // loop through words to find the closest foreach ($words as $word) { // calculate the distance between the input word, // and the current word $lev = levenshtein($input, $word); // check for an exact match if ($lev == 0) { // closest word is this one (exact match) $closest = $word; $shortest = 0; // break out of the loop; we've found an exact match break; } // if this distance is less than the next found shortest // distance, OR if a next shortest word has not yet been found if ($lev <= $shortest || $shortest < 0) { // set the closest match, and shortest distance $closest = $word; $shortest = $lev; } } echo "Input word: $input "; if ($shortest == 0) { echo "Exact match found: $closest "; } else { echo "Did you mean: $closest? "; } ?> The above example will output: Input word: carrrot Did you mean: carrot? SEE ALSO
soundex(3), similar_text(3), metaphone(3). PHP Documentation Group LEVENSHTEIN(3)