Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sudo or su logging
Operating Systems HP-UX sudo or su logging Post 302215078 by vbe on Tuesday 15th of July 2008 01:16:46 PM
Old 07-15-2008
And in the more delicate users profile (dedicated users for production etc... and root...)
# Set up the shell variables:
EDITOR=vi
export EDITOR

SUFF=`who am i -R| awk -F " " '{print $1"."$NF}'`
HISTFILE=$HOME/.sh_history.$SUFF
print -s "LOGIN - `date '+%m-%d-%E-%H:%M'`"
HISTSIZE=4098
export HISTFILE HISTSIZE
export ENV=$HOME/.kshrc

But this gives you more work (looking at all these new files and being sure you have enough space...)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Logging all commands after a sudo su-

Hi there, It might seem tricky, I confess. We use sudo to allow people to initiate priviledged commands (but not all commands) on our Unix systems. To by pass this, some people initiate the sudo su - command ; The main issue is to 'know' what those people do when they gain root access.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxmtl
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo logging + NFS hang?

Hi all, I have two problems, My system is SunOS 5.9: 1- I have installed sudo but I have a problem logging user activities on other hosts, the way I installed it is that I installed sudo and the sudoers file in a shared directory on a NFS server which is mounted by all computers on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neked
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use the Sudo command. "0509-130 Symbol resolution failed for sudo because:"

Hi! I'm very new to unix, so please keep that in mind with the level of language used if you choose to help :D Thanks! When attempting to use sudo on and AIX machine with oslevel 5.1.0.0, I get the following error: exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program sudo because of the following errors:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chloe123
1 Replies

4. AIX

sudo log and sudo auditing

Sudo In AIX, how to find out what commands have been run after a user sudo to another user? for example, user sam run 'sudo -u robert ksh' then run some commands, how can I (as root) find what commands have been run? sudo.log only contains sudo event, no activity logging. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalite19
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

change io logging directory sudo 1.7.4p6

There was an update in sudo 1.7.5 : -The I/O log directory may now be specified in the sudoers file. I am stuck using sudo 1.7.4p6. Because it is supported by HP on thier HP-UX builds. Is there a process to change this directory in sudo 1.7.4p6? currently sudo 1.7.4p6's default is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trimike
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

Hi All, I running a unix command using sudo option inside shell script. Its working well. But in crontab the same command is not working and its throwing "sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo". I do not have root permission to add or change settings for my userid. I can not even ask... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apple1221
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

Hi, Have a need to run the below command as a "karuser" from a java class which will is running as "root" user. When we are trying to run the below command from java code getting the below error. Command: sudo -u karuser -s /bin/bash /bank/karunix/bin/build_cycles.sh Error: sudo: sorry,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Sudo logging need year details also

Hi All I have a requirement in which during sudo logging, I must get the year details also in sudo log file. As below output is not mentioning the year due to this I will not able to idenfiy that this log belong to 2012 or 2011 or 2010 Dec 12 11:30:21 XYZ sudo: user1 : TTY=pts/5 ;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
4 Replies

10. Linux

Syslog not logging successful logging while unlocking server's console

When unlocking a Linux server's console there's no event indicating successful logging Is there a way I can fix this ? I have the following in my rsyslog.conf auth.info /var/log/secure authpriv.info /var/log/secure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: walterthered
1 Replies
mDNSResponder(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  mDNSResponder(8)

NAME
mDNSResponder -- Multicast and Unicast DNS daemon SYNOPSIS
mDNSResponder DESCRIPTION
mDNSResponder (also known as mdnsd on some systems) is a daemon invoked at boot time to implement Multicast DNS and DNS Service Discovery. On Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), mDNSResponder is also the system-wide Unicast DNS Resolver. mDNSResponder listens on UDP port 5353 for Multicast DNS Query packets. When it receives a query for which it knows an answer, mDNSResponder issues the appropriate Multicast DNS Reply packet. mDNSResponder also performs Unicast and Multicast DNS Queries on behalf of client processes, and maintains a cache of the replies. mDNSResponder has no user-specifiable command-line argument, and users should not run mDNSResponder manually. LOGGING
There are several methods with which to examine mDNSResponder's internal state for debugging and diagnostic purposes. The syslog(1) logging levels map as follows: Error - Error messages Warning - Client-initiated operations Notice - Sleep proxy operations Info - Informational messages By default, only log level Error is logged. A SIGUSR1 signal toggles additional logging, with Warning and Notice enabled by default: % sudo killall -USR1 mDNSResponder Once this logging is enabled, users can additionally use syslog(1) to change the log filter for the process. For example, to enable log lev- els Emergency - Debug: % sudo syslog -c mDNSResponder -d A SIGUSR2 signal toggles packet logging: % sudo killall -USR2 mDNSResponder A SIGINFO signal will dump a snapshot summary of the internal state to /var/log/system.log: % sudo killall -INFO mDNSResponder FILES
/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder INFO
For information on Multicast DNS, see http://www.multicastdns.org/ For information on DNS Service Discovery, see http://www.dns-sd.org/ For information on how to use the Multicast DNS and the DNS Service Discovery APIs on Mac OS X and other platforms, see http://developer.apple.com/bonjour/ For the source code to mDNSResponder, see http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/bonjour/ BUGS
mDNSResponder bugs are tracked in Apple Radar component "mDNSResponder". HISTORY
The mDNSResponder daemon first appeared in Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar). Also available from the Darwin open source repository (though not officially supported by Apple) are mDNSResponder daemons for other plat- forms, including Mac OS 9, Microsoft Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, and other POSIX systems. Darwin June 1, 2019 Darwin