Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Performance testing on AIX
Operating Systems AIX Performance testing on AIX Post 302214999 by bakunin on Tuesday 15th of July 2008 09:54:10 AM
Old 07-15-2008
It is a widespread misconsception that "performance" is some value you can simply measure, like "length" or "weight". "Performance" means something like "fitness for a given purpose" and without defining this purpose it means nothing at all.

If you want to "test performance" first agree with your customer what the goal of the system is. Something like "the system has to respond within 2 seconds to every message" or "the application has to finish every user action within 0.5 seconds" or "the system has to do 5000 transactions per hour" or whatever. But this parameter(s) have to be defined first, this is your "given purpose".

Only then you can start measuring (by counting transactions, seconds, ....) and find out how far off your requirement you are, if at all.

Everything else is aggregation of meaningless data*) to come up with meaningless curves (or other graphs) displaying them to meaningless people. Refuse such time-killing nonsense and concentrate on your work.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

PS: if, after defining your requirements, you need help in collecting or interpreting data for this defined purpose please write again. I will gladly help you further in this case.
*) To further expand on that: you can measure the number of transactions of an OLTP system and measure its weight, then come up with some "weight-to -transactions-quotient". You can now cut away some parts of the systems case and "measure" again and you will find that you have "optimized" the systems because afterwards it weighs, say, 3 pounds less. Would you think that you have made the system any better doing this? Would a nice curve generated from the data before and afterwards change your opinion?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Web Development

Suggested tool / approach for performance testing

What is a good approach for a performance testing tool suite for web applications? I am specifically interested in tools that execute a certain set of tasks well as opposed to tuning high traffic sites. In other words, a profiler would be a good idea to have, although I understand these tools are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

2. Linux

Doubt about programs for testing Linux performance

Hello friends, I'm working on a Thesis and right now I'm in a phase of comparing a Linux vs Windows performance in similar situations on the same machine. I'm asking here because I would like help on this, since I've always worked in Linux as an Administrator and a user, never as a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lzcool
6 Replies

3. IP Networking

using multiple iperf instances for performance testing

Hello all! I have the need to performance-test a MPLS switch, I was thinking of using iperf to accomplish the task. I had in mind using a linux box with a Gigabit interface connected to a L2 switch on a 802.1Q trunk. In the interface I would create 20 VLANs with 20 different IP subnets. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
0 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

using multiple iperf instances for performance testing

Hello all! I have the need to performance-test a MPLS switch, I was thinking of using iperf to accomplish the task. I had in mind using a linux box with a Gigabit interface connected to a L2 switch on a 802.1Q trunk. In the interface I would create 20 VLANs with 20 different IP subnets. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Performance testing - training content

Hi Everyone, My company is involved in performing performance testing and now they want to perform couple of training related with executing those tests on the servers based on Unix sytems. And I have to provide them draft of the content for those trainings. I think this kind of training... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bartuss
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extract application logs through shell script in performance testing

Hi Experts, I am new to shell.How to extract logs (Web,APP,Database) using shell in performance testing? Need for webserver logs,app server logs and d/b logs code. Thanks in advance Sree (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sree vasu
3 Replies

7. AIX

Testing the dds tape drive on AIX

Hi I need to make some restore tapes for our old AIX systems I have purchased some DDS2 tapes and cleaning tapes The tape drive is rmt0 what commands can I enter to run the cleaning tape through the drive and are the any commands I can enter to test these drives prior to using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmacher
2 Replies
ADA(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    ADA(4)

NAME
ada -- ATA Direct Access device driver SYNOPSIS
device ada DESCRIPTION
The ada driver provides support for direct access devices, implementing the ATA command protocol, that are attached to the system through a host adapter supported by the CAM subsystem. The host adapter must also be separately configured into the system before an ATA direct access device can be configured. COMMAND QUEUING
Command queueing allows the device to process multiple transactions concurrently, often re-ordering them to reduce the number and length of seeks. ATA defines two types of queueing: TCQ (Tagged Command Queueing, PATA legacy) and NCQ (Native Command Queueing, SATA). The ada device driver takes full advantage of NCQ, when supported. To ensure that transactions to distant parts of the media, which may be deferred indefinitely by servicing requests closer to the current head position, are completed in a timely fashion, an ordered transaction is sent every 7 seconds during continuous device operation. CACHE EFFECTS
Many direct access devices are equipped with read and/or write caches. Parameters affecting the device's cache are reported in device IDEN- TIFY data and can be examined and modified via the camcontrol(8) utility. The read cache is used to store data from device-initiated read ahead operations as well as frequently used data. The read cache is trans- parent to the user and can be enabled without any adverse effect. Most devices with a read cache come from the factory with it enabled. The write cache can greatly decrease the latency of write operations and allows the device to reorganize writes to increase efficiency and performance. This performance gain comes at a price. Should the device lose power while its cache contains uncommitted write operations, these writes will be lost. The effect of a loss of write transactions on a file system is non-deterministic and can cause corruption. Most devices age write transactions to limit the vulnerability to a few transactions recently reported as complete, but it is nonetheless recom- mended that systems with write cache enabled devices reside on an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). The ada device driver ensures that the cache and media are synchronized upon final close of the device or an unexpected shutdown (panic) event. This ensures that it is safe to disconnect power once the operating system has reported that it has halted. SYSCTL VARIABLES
The following variables are available as both sysctl(8) variables and loader(8) tunables: kern.cam.ada.retry_count This variable determines how many times the ada driver will retry a READ or WRITE command. This does not affect the number of retries used during probe time or for the ada driver dump routine. This value currently defaults to 4. kern.cam.ada.default_timeout This variable determines how long the ada driver will wait before timing out an outstanding command. The units for this value are sec- onds, and the default is currently 30 seconds. kern.cam.ada.spindown_shutdown This variable determines whether to spin-down disks when shutting down. Set to 1 to enable spin-down, 0 to disable. The default is cur- rently enabled. FILES
/dev/ada* ATA device nodes SEE ALSO
ad(4), ahci(4), cam(4), da(4), siis(4) HISTORY
The ada driver first appeared in FreeBSD 8.0. AUTHORS
Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org> BSD
October 24, 2010 BSD