Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Random numbers from 0 to 1000 Post 302214916 by wakhan on Tuesday 15th of July 2008 07:28:12 AM
Old 07-15-2008
Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All,

I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000.
and simply display it.

Plz HELP!!!!!!

Regards,
Waqas Ahmed

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random numbers without repetition

Is anyone know some scripts to generate random number without repetition using bash; for example generate 10 different random numbers. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asal_email
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Numbers - Perl

Hi Guys I have a script to find Ranomd numbers. But I want to make the file to produce more random. Could u guys help me plz. In this Script I have the code that generates random in for loop and the range I have specified in my %chromlength input and out put will be like this chrno start end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

4. Programming

Random numbers in parent/child?

Hi I'm trying to generate random numbers both in parent process and the child process. But I get the same random number in both processes. Why doesn't it generate different numbers altough I seed random number generator? Here's my code: #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a random string of numbers

Hi Can someone help me with this one? I have string.. (PROC_PROC_ID == 12183) <--PID is dynamic and i want to replace the PID number with whatever PID from /opt/hpws/apache32_2/logs/httpd.pid file. i'm having problem since the PID on the string is dynamic. It may be 2-5 digits or more. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help with random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000

Hi, Do anybody knows how to use awk or any command to random print out 1000 number which start from range 1 to 150000? I know that "rand" in awk can do similar random selection. But I have no idea how to write a code that can random pick 1000 number from range 1 to 150000 :confused: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a sequence of numbers in a line for 1000 files

Hi, I try to explain my problem , I have a file like this: aasdsaffsc23 scdsfsddvf46567 mionome0001.pdb asdsdvcxvds dsfdvcvc2324w What I need to do is to create 1000 files in which myname line listing a sequence of numbers from 0001 to 1000. So I want to have : nomefile0001.txt that must... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: danyz84
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert random numbers into each line?

I have a file contains thousands of lines. I want to insert n random numbers into each line at specific position. Like this: 0 22…… 1 33…… …… …… I want to insert 3 random numbers from position 2 to 4 into each line. 0 325 22…… 1 685 33…… …… …… Please use CODE tags when... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hhdzhu
8 Replies
rand(3UCB)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functions						rand(3UCB)

NAME
rand, srand - simple random number generator SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/cc [ flag ... ] file ... int rand(); int srand(seed) unsigned seed; DESCRIPTION
rand() uses a multiplicative congruential random number generator with period 2^32 to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to 2^31 -1. srand() can be called at any time to reset the random-number generator to a random starting point. The generator is initially seeded with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
cc(1B), drand48(3C), rand(3C), random(3C) NOTES
Use of these interfaces should be restricted to only applications written on BSD platforms. Use of these interfaces with any of the system libraries or in multi-thread applications is unsupported. The spectral properties of rand() leave a great deal to be desired. drand48(3C) and random(3C) provide much better, though more elaborate, random-number generators. The low bits of the numbers generated are not very random; use the middle bits. In particular the lowest bit alternates between 0 and 1. SunOS 5.11 30 Oct 2007 rand(3UCB)