Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting last characters of a word Post 302214802 by rajaryan4545 on Tuesday 15th of July 2008 02:32:21 AM
Old 07-15-2008
deleting last characters of a word

Hi All

is there a way to delete last n characters from a word
like say i have employee_new
i want to delete _new. and just get only employee
I want this in AIX Shell scripting

Thanks

Last edited by rajaryan4545; 07-15-2008 at 03:48 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with deleting certain characters on a line

I have a file that looks like this: It is a huge file and basically I want to delete everything at the > line except for the number after “C”. >c1154... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need in Deleting Characters

Hi, I have a log file whose size is number of characters in the file with multiple lines. Example: SQL*Loader: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Sat Sep 12 07:55:29 2009 Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved. Control File: ../adm/ctl/institution.ctl Character Set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting rows that have certain characters

Hi, I want to delete rows whenever column one has the letters 'rpa'. The file is tab seperated. e.g. years 1 bears 1 cats 2 rpat 3 rpa99 4 rpa011 5 then removing 'rpa' containing rows based on the first column years 1 bears 1 cats 2 thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines above and below a word!

i jst want to delete a host entry from httpd.conf for eg: i have entries such as: <VirtualHost 192.168.1.157:80> DocumentRoot /home/karthik ServerName kar </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost 192.168.1.157:80> DocumentRoot /home/karthik1 ServerName www </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacky29
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - deleting each line up to a word

Hi there, I'd like to delete the beginning of a line up until it finds a certain word or character string: in this case, I'd like to delete each line up to the word "mounting". Thanks ;) Susan (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kitykity
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting new line characters

Hi, I have a weird requirement. I am having a file with 12fields in it and the end of the line for each record is "\n" (Just \n and no carriage returns) and the field delimiter is "|". Problem is I can have new line characters in any field in the data and these new line characters can even come... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngkumar
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script?

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word description excluding weird characters like $$#$#@$#@***$# and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. My final goal is to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the word and exporting 35 characters after that word using shell script

I have a file input.txt which have loads of weird characters, html tags and useful materials. I want to display 35 characters after the word "description" excluding weird characters like $&lmp and without html tags in the new file output.txt. Help me. Thanx in advance. I have attached the input... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachit adhikari
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a word from a string

Hello All, I have a string like below - /LDCA20/rel/prod/libina.a I want to delete "libina.a" which is at the end.How can I do this ?? Thanks in advance Regards, Anand (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed for deleting the first word of each line?

sed /'1-2'/&^/ filename suppose there is a file containing three lines , how do we do delete the word from each line? hyter efr frf rerfer efe ewd cdcf evrfgf erfv the output has to look like frf ewd erfv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev Nukala
2 Replies
LEVENSHTEIN(3)								 1							    LEVENSHTEIN(3)

levenshtein - Calculate Levenshtein distance between two strings

SYNOPSIS
int levenshtein (string $str1, string $str2) DESCRIPTION
int levenshtein (string $str1, string $str2, int $cost_ins, int $cost_rep, int $cost_del) The Levenshtein distance is defined as the minimal number of characters you have to replace, insert or delete to transform $str1 into $str2. The complexity of the algorithm is O(m*n), where n and m are the length of $str1 and $str2 (rather good when compared to simi- lar_text(3), which is O(max(n,m)**3), but still expensive). In its simplest form the function will take only the two strings as parameter and will calculate just the number of insert, replace and delete operations needed to transform $str1 into $str2. A second variant will take three additional parameters that define the cost of insert, replace and delete operations. This is more general and adaptive than variant one, but not as efficient. PARAMETERS
o $str1 - One of the strings being evaluated for Levenshtein distance. o $str2 - One of the strings being evaluated for Levenshtein distance. o $cost_ins - Defines the cost of insertion. o $cost_rep - Defines the cost of replacement. o $cost_del - Defines the cost of deletion. RETURN VALUES
This function returns the Levenshtein-Distance between the two argument strings or -1, if one of the argument strings is longer than the limit of 255 characters. EXAMPLES
Example #1 levenshtein(3) example <?php // input misspelled word $input = 'carrrot'; // array of words to check against $words = array('apple','pineapple','banana','orange', 'radish','carrot','pea','bean','potato'); // no shortest distance found, yet $shortest = -1; // loop through words to find the closest foreach ($words as $word) { // calculate the distance between the input word, // and the current word $lev = levenshtein($input, $word); // check for an exact match if ($lev == 0) { // closest word is this one (exact match) $closest = $word; $shortest = 0; // break out of the loop; we've found an exact match break; } // if this distance is less than the next found shortest // distance, OR if a next shortest word has not yet been found if ($lev <= $shortest || $shortest < 0) { // set the closest match, and shortest distance $closest = $word; $shortest = $lev; } } echo "Input word: $input "; if ($shortest == 0) { echo "Exact match found: $closest "; } else { echo "Did you mean: $closest? "; } ?> The above example will output: Input word: carrrot Did you mean: carrot? SEE ALSO
soundex(3), similar_text(3), metaphone(3). PHP Documentation Group LEVENSHTEIN(3)