Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: open-source driver question
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) open-source driver question Post 302214684 by sjalex on Monday 14th of July 2008 04:16:57 PM
Old 07-14-2008
open-source driver question

Hi, I'm a linux guy and have used netbsd, openbsd, freebsd etc in the past but never tangled with the kernel or drivers outside of Linux.

My mother has fried her ethernet port on her iMac (G4 I think); I recently sent her a silicom USB U2E (usb 2 ethernet) dongle which is evidently not recognized by OS-X. This device works with most linux distros out of the box, and uses the "kaweth" driver which is available on sourceforge. The driver page says it's POSIX compliant which makes me hopeful but I don't know how to proceed.

I'm comfortable with building and installing modules, or even rebuilding the kernel if that's necessary, but I don't know where to start with MacOS. Could someone point me to a resource, or if this driver is already implemented and just needs the VID/PID added to a config file somewhere (or some other trivial step), point me to that?

Thanks for your help.

Stephen

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

open source for the forum

This is a slick looking forum. Any chance on making the code for the forum open source? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ecupirate1998
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Open Source NMS

Hello there, I wanted to know the members' opinion about the best open source network management software which uses a web browser to show its interface and results. I am interested in the software for both windows and Linux OSs. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

5. Hardware

Difference between platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver

In general terms what are the differences platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

6. AIX

Readcd: Error 0. Cannot open SCSI driver.

i'm trying to burn an DVD ISO into a VIOS virtual optical drive when i try a scanbus i have a failure message : Can u help me please guys ---------- Post updated at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:20 PM ---------- I can't burn in ISO format, so i have to type... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tharsan
0 Replies
UARK(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   UARK(4)

NAME
uark -- Arkmicro Technologies ARK3116 based USB serial adapter SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device uark device ucom Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): uark_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The uark driver supports Arkmicro Technologies ARK3116 based serial adapters. HARDWARE
The uark driver supports the following adapters: o HL USB-RS232 o HugePine USB-UART o KQ-U8A Data Cable o Skymaster USB to RS232 SEE ALSO
tty(4), ucom(4), usb(4) HISTORY
The uark device driver first appeared in OpenBSD 4.0. The first FreeBSD release to include it was FreeBSD 7.0. AUTHORS
The uark driver was written by Jonathan Gray <jsg@openbsd.org>. CAVEATS
Setting hardware flow control is not currently supported. It is not yet known how to ask the hardware to send a break. Arkmicro Technologies do not reply to requests of documentation for their products. BSD
November 15, 2006 BSD