Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming userpw.h AIX ( delete entry from the shadow password database ) Post 302214467 by nighter on Monday 14th of July 2008 07:07:50 AM
Old 07-14-2008
userpw.h AIX ( delete entry from the shadow password database )

HI i need to delete an entry in /etc/security/passwd.
can't find a way to do it with userpw.h api ( AIX ).

the passwd file i delete like this.
Write all entrys to passwd file except the one we are removing.

can't find any function that works like getspent / getpwent do
in AIX userpw api. How do i delete an entry in the shadow file on AIX?

while ((p = getpwent()) != NULL) {
/* Update passwd file if it's not the user we are removing */
if(!(typ==3 && strcmp(p->pw_name,user) == 0)) {
putpwent(p, fpb);
}
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove shadow password

Does anyone know how to remove a stanza in the shadow password file if the user account has already been removed on an AIX box? I know it can be done by editing the file itself but I would prefer not to do it that way. cheers gizaa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gizaa
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file after a password reset

hi, I had to reset a lost root password by editing the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files ( this is a xen vm file, so i mounted and chrooted the file ) after the reboot with an empty password on root , i have set a new password with passwd but it only changed the /etc/passwd file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
0 Replies

3. Programming

/etc/shadow update password entry! ( getspent? )

Hi i just whant to update an password entry in /etc/shadow. But dosen't get it to work. Something is wrong! in this code. What i try do do is if user kalle exist in shadow. I whant it to update it's password for just that entry. #include <stdio.h> #include <errno.h> #include <stdlib.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nighter
2 Replies

4. Solaris

hash password in shadow show 'x' ???

Hello, I want to know the reason behing the scene why some systems have hashed password in /etc/shadow file as "x" not the alienoid language like A1Dksxi3kaA.. (13 characters) As far as I understand, etc/password will show password as "x" and move all hashed password to etc/shadow.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow entry

In /etc/shadow ..we have all the user entries ..? Like when ever an user is created a corresponding entry is created in /etc/shadow...? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rachna
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Password Recovery From /etc/shadow file

Is it possible to reset a normal user password , by editing password field in /etc/shadow file? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksvaisakh
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow encrypted password

Hi I wonder whether is possible to generate enrypted passwd for some user and paste it into /etc/shadow file ? What kind of encryption is used in /etc/shadow file ? ths for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shadow file password policy

Today i was going through some of security guides written on linux . Under shadow file security following points were mentioned. 1)The encrypted password stored under /etc/shadow file should have more than 14-25 characters. 2)Usernames in shadow file must satisfy to all the same rules as... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users who have never changed their password from /etc/shadow.

Hello, I have to do a script which returns users who have never changed their password from /etc/shadow. Here is what have I done and I'm not sure if it's ok. I tried to return just users who doesn;t have password set or are locked. Can be there other kind of user who never changed the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalint
3 Replies

10. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Help me, write a bash script to delete parent entry with all their child entry in LDAP UNIX server

Hi All, Please help me and guide me to write a bash/shell script on Linux box to delete parent entry with all their child entries. example: Parent is : ---------- dn: email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com, o=wipro, o=in child is: ---------- dn: cn: yogesh kumar, email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chand
1 Replies
GETPW(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  GETPW(3)

NAME
getpw - Re-construct password line entry SYNOPSIS
#include <pwd.h> #include <sys/types.h> int getpw(uid_t uid, char *buf); DESCRIPTION
The getpw() function re-constructs the password line entry for the given user uid uid in the buffer buf. The returned buffer contains a line of format name:passwd:uid:gid:gecos:dir:shell The passwd structure is defined in <pwd.h> as follows: struct passwd { char *pw_name; /* user name */ char *pw_passwd; /* user password */ uid_t pw_uid; /* user id */ gid_t pw_gid; /* group id */ char *pw_gecos; /* real name */ char *pw_dir; /* home directory */ char *pw_shell; /* shell program */ }; RETURN VALUE
The getpw() function returns 0 on success, or -1 if an error occurs. ERRORS
ENOMEM Insufficient memory to allocate passwd structure. FILES
/etc/passwd password database file CONFORMING TO
SYSVr2. BUGS
The getpw() function is dangerous as it may overflow the provided buffer buf. It is obsoleted by getpwuid(). SEE ALSO
fgetpwent(3), getpwent(3), setpwent(3), endpwent(3), getpwnam(3), getpwuid(3), putpwent(3), passwd(5) GNU
1996-05-27 GETPW(3)