Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding a character in front of a line Post 302213885 by ROOZ on Friday 11th of July 2008 08:58:42 AM
Old 07-11-2008
I have a similar question, what is i want to comment out that line and also couple of lines above and under that specific line. the reason that i don't use the same method to comment out the other lines is that they contain a similar pattern as some other lines in my code; therefore i need a method to comment out couple of line above and below the specific line

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a character in the beginning of every line in a .dat file

How can i add a character(#) in the beginning of every line in a .dat file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cool Coder
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.In that line only one word will be there. pl help:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh Vellanki
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - adding a dynamic value to the front of a line

Hi Forum, Im trying to write some code to read a file, take a certain dynamic value and write it back to the file at the front of every line. For example, file.txt is: SIMPLE=HELLO CONFIDENTIAL=false SENDER=false REQUIRED=true FEEDBACK=false UPDATE=false REQUIRED=false MAPPING=true... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a special character at the end of the line

I used following to add * at the end of the line in file1. It adds * at the end but has a space before it for some lines but some other lines it adds exactly after the last character. How do I take out the space ? sed 's/$/*/' file1 > file2 example: contents of file1 : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How join line and add | in front

Hello, Did any one know how to use perl join line and add | in front Input--> timestamp=2009-11-10-04.55.20.829347; a; b; c; ddaa; timestamp=2009-11-10-04.55.20.829347; aa; bb; cc; Output--> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyday
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting newline in front of multi-character string

I'm working with a large file with multiple records, each record begins with ISA. The issue is, sometimes ISA is at the start of the line, sometimes it's in the middle of the line. So before I can csplit my main file into multiple records, I have to get each record header onto its own line. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for adding a word in front of all line in a file

Hi I've one file full of paths of certain files and I want to add some extra file words in front of all the paths. for eg: i have a file name test.txt which show some details only.. 024_hd/044/0344eng.txt 035_bv/222/editor.jpg here I want to add /usr/people/indiana/ infront of all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshp
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new line character

Hi All, i am taking end of records using tail command got the out is "END OF FILE. ROW COUNT: 10" and record count in the file is 3. while append the both data into test2.txt file,it's append like END OF FILE. ROW COUNT: 108 my output should be in the test2.txt file END OF FILE. ROW... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding end of line character in the last record

Need to add end of line character to last record in a fixed width file. When i take the record length of each line, for all the records it gives example like 200 except the last line as 199. Due to this my other script fails. Please help me on this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a backslash in front of square brackets with sed

I'm trying to convert this line: to \ with sed. This is what I have so far: sed -e 's/\]*\)\]/\\\\\/' but this still gives me . Any suggestions? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: lehaste
15 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)						    Git Manual							 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] < input DESCRIPTION
Clean the input in the manner used by Git for text such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)