Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $random
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $random Post 302213824 by fpmurphy on Friday 11th of July 2008 05:59:35 AM
Old 07-11-2008
In ksh93 the range for the RANDOM variable is 0 - 2**15 and is generated by means of the rand(3) pseudo-random number generator. As an extra precaution, ksh93 checks to see that it never picks the same number twice in a row.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a random file

Hello, I am very new to shell scripting. This problem seems quite easy so it should be quite easy (I hope ^^) I want to get a random file from a directory. this file will be in one subdirectory, and it will contain spaces. code I have got so far: N=find ./*/*.jpg | wc -l ((N=RANDOM%N)) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidY
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random

My problem is as follow and i hope you can help: I currently have this function: stored_word() { number=$RANDOM let "number %= 21" case $number in 0 ) echo "energy" ;; 1 ) echo "touch" ;; 2 ) echo "climbing" ;; 3 ) echo "declare" ;; 4 ) echo "marry" ;; 5 ) echo "relax" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: keyvan
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

random words

Hi there folks, for an exercise for my pupils (you know i am always thinking of them!) i need to randomly re-arrange the words (blank space separated) in a sentence (a line in a textfile). Any inspiration?? Txk so much. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
9 Replies

4. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

5. Programming

random number

How can I choose randomly the row numbers of my file in awk? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random Crashing

Over the last month or so my CentOS server has been crashing for reasons I do not know. It has been running for over a year with regular yum updates without problems. The load on the server is perfectly normal with CPU usage at 5-6% and RAM usage at less than half of 32GB of RAM (multiple smaller... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spinner0205
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random ordering

1 2 4 5 3 I would like to use a script so that i can randomly rearrange these numbers such as 3 5 2 4 1 Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Variable

Hi, Could you please let me know what the following code does, I know that it means generating random numbers, however not sure what is the entire purpose. R=$(($RANDOM % 2)) delay=$(($RANDOM % 10)) if then TEXT='X' else ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: susankoperna1
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies
randtype(1)						      General Commands Manual						       randtype(1)

NAME
randtype - Output characters or lines at random intervals SYNOPSIS
randtype [ -l ] [ -d ,|.<string> [ -k ] ] [ -t <ms,mult> ] [ -w <string> [ -c ms,mult ] ] [ -r s1,s2[:...] ] [ -n <string> ] [ -q <int> ] [ -m <int> ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
randtype reads input from either standard input or from a file and outputs each character or line at random intervals. If multiple files are specified, each is read in sequence. OPTIONS
randtype recognizes the following command line options: -c ms,mult For optional use with the -w option, this has the same microsecond and multiplier value format as the -t option. The default for this option is specified at compile time. -d string Output everything before (left) or after (right) the specified string immediately. The string must begin with either ',' or '.' which specifies the direction, left or right, respectively. -h Print a summary of the command line options and exit. -k Suppress output of the string specified by the dump string option. -l Output lines rather than characters. Only the -t and -q options are valid when using this option, all other options are ignored. -m int Generate random mistakes. The int value is how many times to compare and match the next character and a randomly generated charac- ter. -n chars Output the specified characters immediately with no random waiting. -r s1,s2[:...] Replace the string s1 with string s2. You can specify multiple replacements by separating them with a ':'. -q int Quit the program after this many seconds. -t ms,mult This option refines the random delay of output. The value of the argument is separated by a comma with the first argument being a microsecond and the second being a multiplier of a random number between 0 and the microsecond. A character-per-second effect can, for example, be made by setting the microsecond to 0 and the multiplier to 1000000. The default for this option is specified at com- pile time. -v Display version information and exit. -w chars The inverse of the -n option; this option waits on the specified characters. Use the -c option to refine the random delay of output. EXAMPLE
randtype -t 13,16000 -d ",*MAGIC*" -k -n '0ou' filename SEE ALSO
random(3), srandom(3), alarm(2), select(2) AUTHOR
This program was created by bjk <bjk@arbornet.org> and released under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 or later. randtype randtype(1)