Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding a character in front of a line Post 302213645 by ROOZ on Thursday 10th of July 2008 04:44:09 PM
Old 07-10-2008
adding a character in front of a line

Hi everyon,
I am trying to search for a pattern in a file and add "//" to the begining of the file.
lets say i want to comment out a line from my codes. the line that should be commented out contains the word "reset". i need to search for the word "reset" and comment out that specific line. is there anyone who could help me with this?

Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a character in the beginning of every line in a .dat file

How can i add a character(#) in the beginning of every line in a .dat file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cool Coder
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.In that line only one word will be there. pl help:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh Vellanki
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - adding a dynamic value to the front of a line

Hi Forum, Im trying to write some code to read a file, take a certain dynamic value and write it back to the file at the front of every line. For example, file.txt is: SIMPLE=HELLO CONFIDENTIAL=false SENDER=false REQUIRED=true FEEDBACK=false UPDATE=false REQUIRED=false MAPPING=true... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a special character at the end of the line

I used following to add * at the end of the line in file1. It adds * at the end but has a space before it for some lines but some other lines it adds exactly after the last character. How do I take out the space ? sed 's/$/*/' file1 > file2 example: contents of file1 : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How join line and add | in front

Hello, Did any one know how to use perl join line and add | in front Input--> timestamp=2009-11-10-04.55.20.829347; a; b; c; ddaa; timestamp=2009-11-10-04.55.20.829347; aa; bb; cc; Output--> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyday
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting newline in front of multi-character string

I'm working with a large file with multiple records, each record begins with ISA. The issue is, sometimes ISA is at the start of the line, sometimes it's in the middle of the line. So before I can csplit my main file into multiple records, I have to get each record header onto its own line. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for adding a word in front of all line in a file

Hi I've one file full of paths of certain files and I want to add some extra file words in front of all the paths. for eg: i have a file name test.txt which show some details only.. 024_hd/044/0344eng.txt 035_bv/222/editor.jpg here I want to add /usr/people/indiana/ infront of all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshp
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new line character

Hi All, i am taking end of records using tail command got the out is "END OF FILE. ROW COUNT: 10" and record count in the file is 3. while append the both data into test2.txt file,it's append like END OF FILE. ROW COUNT: 108 my output should be in the test2.txt file END OF FILE. ROW... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding end of line character in the last record

Need to add end of line character to last record in a fixed width file. When i take the record length of each line, for all the records it gives example like 200 except the last line as 199. Due to this my other script fails. Please help me on this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a backslash in front of square brackets with sed

I'm trying to convert this line: to \ with sed. This is what I have so far: sed -e 's/\]*\)\]/\\\\\/' but this still gives me . Any suggestions? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: lehaste
15 Replies
WRJPGCOM(1)						      General Commands Manual						       WRJPGCOM(1)

NAME
wrjpgcom - insert text comments into a JPEG file SYNOPSIS
wrjpgcom [ -replace ] [ -comment text ] [ -cfile name ] [ filename ] DESCRIPTION
wrjpgcom reads the named JPEG/JFIF file, or the standard input if no file is named, and generates a new JPEG/JFIF file on standard output. A comment block is added to the file. The JPEG standard allows "comment" (COM) blocks to occur within a JPEG file. Although the standard doesn't actually define what COM blocks are for, they are widely used to hold user-supplied text strings. This lets you add annotations, titles, index terms, etc to your JPEG files, and later retrieve them as text. COM blocks do not interfere with the image stored in the JPEG file. The maximum size of a COM block is 64K, but you can have as many of them as you like in one JPEG file. wrjpgcom adds a COM block, containing text you provide, to a JPEG file. Ordinarily, the COM block is added after any existing COM blocks; but you can delete the old COM blocks if you wish. OPTIONS
Switch names may be abbreviated, and are not case sensitive. -replace Delete any existing COM blocks from the file. -comment text Supply text for new COM block on command line. -cfile name Read text for new COM block from named file. If you have only one line of comment text to add, you can provide it on the command line with -comment. The comment text must be sur- rounded with quotes so that it is treated as a single argument. Longer comments can be read from a text file. If you give neither -comment nor -cfile, then wrjpgcom will read the comment text from standard input. (In this case an input image file name MUST be supplied, so that the source JPEG file comes from somewhere else.) You can enter multiple lines, up to 64KB worth. Type an end-of-file indicator (usually control-D) to terminate the comment text entry. wrjpgcom will not add a COM block if the provided comment string is empty. Therefore -replace -comment "" can be used to delete all COM blocks from a file. EXAMPLES
Add a short comment to in.jpg, producing out.jpg: wrjpgcom -c "View of my back yard" in.jpg > out.jpg Attach a long comment previously stored in comment.txt: wrjpgcom in.jpg < comment.txt > out.jpg or equivalently wrjpgcom -cfile comment.txt < in.jpg > out.jpg SEE ALSO
cjpeg(1), djpeg(1), jpegtran(1), rdjpgcom(1) AUTHOR
Independent JPEG Group 15 June 1995 WRJPGCOM(1)