Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problems with delimiters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems with delimiters Post 302213598 by quine on Thursday 10th of July 2008 02:21:56 PM
Old 07-10-2008
Exactly. Create a "filter". Make all delimiters consistent (1 delimiter) then use that output to do your cuts, etc.

InputWithManyDelimiters | filterScript | cut -fn -d "~" where "~" is what ever delimiter you choose as the cannoical one.... "~" (tilde) is a good one at least for English because the character is not commonly used in data...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters missing

Hi I have a pipe-delimited file where I eventually need to replace a string stored on the 3th field on a specific record. This is how the file looks like: A|Mike|Lvl 1|... B|... A|Maria|Lvl 1|... C|... B|... A|Jimmy|Lvl 2|... C|... A|Carry|Lvl 0|... C|... B|... A|John|Lvl 8|...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
2 Replies

2. Solaris

To extract everything between two delimiters

My input file looks like " @$SCRIPT/atp_asrmt_adj.sql $SCRIPT/dba2000.scr -s / @$SCRIPT/cim1005w.pls $SCRIPT/dba2000.scr -s / @$SCRIPT/cim1006w.pls start $SCRIPT/cim1020d.sql;^M spool $DATA/cim1021m.sql @$DATA/cim1021m.sql ! rm $DATA/cim1021m.sql spool $DATA/cim1021m.sql... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dowsed4u8
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two delimiters with AWK

Hello, this thread is more about scripting style than a specific issue. I've to grep from a output some lines and from them obtain a specific entry delimited by < and >. This is my way : 1) grep -i user list | awk '{FS="<";print $NF}' | sed -e 's/>//g' 2) grep -i user list | cut -d","... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split using two delimiters

I'm trying to do a split using two delimiters. The first delimiter is ": " (or we could call it :\s). The second is "\n". How can or these delimiters so I can toss the values into an array without issue? I tried @array = split /:\s|\n/, $myvar; This doesn't seem to be working. Any an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters in awk

Line from input file a : b : c " d " e " f : g : h " i " j " k " l output k b a Its taking 7th word when " is the delimiter, 2nd and 1st word when : is the delimiter and returning all in one line.... I am on solaris Thanks..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use two delimiters in awk

I have a file having lines like: 14: <a="b" val="c"/> 18: <a="x" val="d"/> 54: <a="b" val="c"/> 58: <a="x" val="e"/> I need to create a file with output: 14 d 54 e So basically, for every odd line I need 1st word if delimiter is ':' and for every even... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort with different delimiters

I have a file with the following lines in it: Inbound1:remote - - 01/Nov/2011:08:29:51 -0500 "GET / HTTP/1.1" 404 2098 HTTP Inbound1:remote - - 02/Dec/2011:08:31:42 -0500 "GET / HTTP/1.1" 404 2098 HTTP Inbound3:remote - - 01/Oct/2011:08:29:52 -0500 "GET / HTTP/1.1" 404 2098 HTTP Inbound4:remote... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldman2
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting Delimiters

Hi Team, I am trying to get the data in below format Jan 01 | 19:00:32 | xyz | abc | sometext | string however I am not sure of the total number strings which can come in the record hence i cant use something like below as it can end $6 or it can go further cat file| awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh_411
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters with awk?

I have a file which is separated by delimiter "|", but the prob is one of my column do contain delimiter as description so how can i differentiate it? PS : the delmiter does have backslash coming before it, if occurring in column Annual|Beleagured|Desc|Denver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut between two delimiters, / and .

BASH : I have a very long list I am parsing through: 10/10/19... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies
fmlcut(1F)							   FMLI Commands							fmlcut(1F)

NAME
fmlcut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
fmlcut -clist [filename]... fmlcut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [filename]... DESCRIPTION
The fmlcut function cuts out columns from a table or fields from each line in filename; in database parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. fmlcut can be used as a filter; if filename is not specified or is -, the standard input is read. list specifies the fields to be selected. Fields can be fixed length (character positions) or variable length (separated by a field delimiter character), depending on whether -c or -f is specified. Note: Either the -c or the -f option must be specified. OPTIONS
list A comma-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indicate ranges. For example: 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field). -clist If -c is specified, list specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). Note: No space intervenes between -c and list. -flist If -f is specified, list is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by the default delimiter character, TAB, or by char if the -d option is specified. For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no delimiter charac- ters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. Note: No space intervenes between -f and list. The following options can be used if you have specified -f. -dchar If -d is specified, char is the field delimiter. Space or other characters with special meaning to FMLI must be quoted. Note: No space intervenes between -d and char . The default field delimiter is TAB. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters. If -s is not specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Getting login IDs and names The following example gets the login IDs and names. example% fmlcut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Getting the current login name The next example gets the current login name. example% `who am i | fmlcut -f1 -d" "` ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fmlgrep(1F), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
fmlcut returns the following exit values: 0 when the selected field is successfully cut out 2 on syntax errors The following error messages may be displayed on the FMLI message line: ERROR: line too long A line has more than 1023 characters or fields, or there is no new-line character. ERROR: bad list for c/f option Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list. No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list calls for. ERROR: no fields The list is empty. ERROR: no delimiter Missing char on -d option. NOTES
fmlcut cannot correctly process lines longer than 1023 characters, or lines with no newline character. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 fmlcut(1F)