Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Move files based on year
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Move files based on year Post 302213509 by vbe on Thursday 10th of July 2008 09:03:45 AM
Old 07-10-2008
I help people that show they are trying...
So
1)you want to move files (dated 2003 ) in another directory
Q:
what commands do you think you will need?

Do a man of the commands...

2) How do I select those files?
start by listing correctly all the files so you can sort them by date...
use a pipe to filter with e.g. grep (man grep)

Show us you can do that and not the rest and someone will help you continue...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to move files into different folders based on filename

I need to move a bunch of files into folders that have the same name. I wanted to either do this with some filter command or some type of batch file that I could save that would already include all of the mv commands since I will have to do this process often. Whatever method you think is easier. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: italia5
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move files based on year

I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003. I want to move only the 2003 files to another directory. Please help in doing this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IHK
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files based on year of creation

Hi All, I have a directory which has crores of files since from 2003 till now. I want to move only the 2003 files to another directory. Please help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IHK
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Move files of a certain year to other directory

Hi all, I have a massive amount of recording files in .WAV format stored in a directory, files dating back to 2006. It is a huge amount of files as Linux cannot even do a listing of it all, it states: "argument list too long" What I would like to do is the following: Find all the files of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: codenjanod
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files based on date in filename

I know this gets covered quite a bit in the forum and I think there is enough there for me to figure out how to do what I am trying to do, I just don't think I would do it very efficiently so I am going to ask the question... I have database log files with date and time stamps in the file like ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slatoms
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to move files based on name

Hi folks, I'm new here and appreciate greatly any help. I have a bunch of files that need be moved and renamed. Fortunately, they are all in sequence... Present filename and path: /.catalog1/t76038_842-01 Move to: /.catalog1/76038-01 So, we need to drop the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: axslinger
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files to another directory based on name

Hi Folks, I have different type of file in my current directory. From my current directory i need to move the file which is start with csp_rules and if the file is having the string payg , then I need to move all this files to another directory /output/record. Please help me how to do this? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in Logic - How to move files based on a condition

Hi All, I have 2 LINUX scripts (Lets say ScriptA & ScriptB) which copies files (lets say 'date_abc.txt , it goes to a while loop & checks for the files between 2 date varialbles) to directory X. (as Shown Below) These 2 scripts are called from 2 different Autosys schedules & runs at the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files based on status

Hi UNIX Experts, Kindly help me in this requirement where i want to move files based on its status. For Eg: I have 3 dir's --FileBox Dir this directory will have all the files which i need to process (in informatica ETL Tool) --Succeeded Dir this directory will have files which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarinfa
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files with a certain suffix based on how many files are in another folder

Hello, First time poster. I am looking for a way to script or program the process of moving files from one folder to another, automatically, based on the count of files in the destination folder. I was thinking a shell script would work, but am open to the suggestions of the experts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: comtech
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)