Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell execution time calculations Post 302213420 by Omar Bacha on Thursday 10th of July 2008 04:20:43 AM
Old 07-10-2008
shell execution time calculations

I am writting a script in the ksh shell and am trying to find a way to report the total execution time of the script without requiring the user to specify the time function when executing the script.
Does anyone have any examples they have used. I have been setting up two date variables (one at the beginning $START_TIME and one at the end $END_TIME) and then do some calulation of the difference and display is to the user in minutes. No matter what I do it keeps giving me syntax errors.
any help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

execution time

hi , i ve coded a C program in that im using malloc dynamically , it is being called many times in the program The program is to simulate jobs in manufacturing system. the execution time is increasing drastically as the number of jobs are increased. could any body tel what may be the problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramki_rk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

last execution time

is there a command in Solaris 8 that will show a particular scripts last execution time? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference calculations

Hi All.. Does anyone have a useful function where I can enter two date/timestamps and it calculates the difference in time in hours, minutes and seconds between the 2? Any feedback much appreciated. :D Kind Regards Satnam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satnamx
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem doing the time calculations in shell.

I am trying to do a shell script to monitor if any files went through in the last hour. There is a script in cron that runs every sec checking to see if a file is there and ftp the file out of this folder. Now I just want to add a block of code that will check to see no files went in the last... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonathan184
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Time Calculations

I'm trying to have a loop print out statistics every X number of seconds. How can I add a specific number of seconds to a time variable and make a comparison? Thanks ahead of time. For example: startTime = `date +%H%M%S` currentTime = $startTime executeTime = startTime + X # X is equal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Time Calculations & Conversions

I have script that runs based on time variables passed in the command line. The first command argument is a timer, in seconds, of how often to execute a certain loop in the script. The second command argument is the end time of the script, in military time. Below is an example of the command line:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

specifying an execution time

Hi all, do ny o u'll know how to set a particular execution time for a program??? for eg.: --> during the execution of a file, i call a certain other function. --> while calling this function, my comp hangs. now is there ny way in which i can go to the nxt line of code by aborting the call... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: VGR
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

time taken for execution

how much time a particular command or shell script executed there is any command to know this thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Arithmetic calculations in Shell script

Hi, I need a help with arithmetic calculations in my script. I have two variables: a=17; b=1712 I want to perform ($a/$b)*100 with two decimals in the result. I tried with following: res=$((100*a/b)) res=`echo "scale=2; $a / $b" | bc` But I am not getting the decimal values.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mathematical calculations using shell

Dear All, I read some variables in a file and assigned as name for each of them. If I do echo I am able to see the values as 1.0E-05,3.4,5.0E-03 etc, Now I want to do some mathematical operations with them. Lets say 1 1.0E-05*5.0E-03 expected ans is 5.0E-08 2 1.0E-05/5.0E-03 expected... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
9 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)