Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Possible to link an IPC Sempahore to a process ID? Post 302213329 by Solarius on Wednesday 9th of July 2008 08:34:25 PM
Old 07-09-2008
After the reboot the system ran ok for a couple days, but again the SEMMNI (semaphore id's) limit was reached. We will have to take this issue to the software vendor and see if they have an idea.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between hard link and soft link in unix

Hi All, Can any one please explain me what is the difference between hard link and soft link in UNIX. Thanks in advance Raja Chokalingam. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAJACHOKALINGAM
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Automate FTP process and autorestart on link failure

Hi Guys, i have this lil challenge; i am to implement an automated script that searches/scans a directory for files then picks and sends this files to a very remote server via an ftp link. the challenge here is that the ftp link fails due to netwrk issues maybe; i therefore need to develop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdcoms
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can some one give me some link about process and job control commands

can some one give me some link about process and job control commands (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

4. Programming

C program using IPC (inter process communication)

i want to write a C chat program that communicates over IPC(inter process communication), that could be run using 2 seperate terminal windows within the same computer. so that wat u type in one terminal window , should appear on the other and vice versa... could some one please help me with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: localp
2 Replies

5. Solaris

errors on Netra-440: "IPC Warning: ipc: tcp_protocol: bad magic number"

I was asked to look into a problem with a Sun Netra 440 in another department. On the server in question, the relevant 'uname -a' information is, "SunOS host1 5.9 Generic_118558-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-440". That information aside, while the other admin is logged into the ALOM, these errors are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Borealis
0 Replies

6. Programming

IPC - pipes between parent and child process

Hi guys, I'm having some problem here, I'm studying pipes, and i want to create a shell in C and at this point a don't want to use semaphores, instead I want to use tricks. Straight to the doubt: I've a parent and a child process, and both of them has some code to execute, and the child process... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
5 Replies

7. Programming

g++ fails to link to static library when compilation and link in single command

Hello All, I've encountered a strange behaviour from g++ that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you can shed some light on it: I have a bunch of source files and want to compile them and link them with a static library liba.a located in /usr/local/lib64 into an executable Approach 1 works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magelord
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

9. Solaris

/var/adm/messages (interface turned off/restored) and link up & link down message.

Hi All I am facing an issue with our new solaris machine. in /var/adm/messages root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# root@Prod-App1:/var/tmp# cat /var/adm//messages Apr 20 03:10:01 Prod-App1 syslogd: line 25: WARNING: loghost could not be resolved Apr 20 08:24:18 Prod-App1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
0 Replies

10. Solaris

/var/adm/messages (insterface turned off/restored) and link up & link down message.

Hi All I am facing an issue with our new solaris machine. in /var/adm/messages Apr 22 16:43:05 Prod-App1 in.routed: interface net0 to 172.16.101.1 turned off Apr 22 16:43:33 Prod-App1 mac: NOTICE: nxge0 link up, 1000 Mbps, full duplex Apr 22 16:43:34 Prod-App1 mac: NOTICE: nxge0 link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
2 Replies
semmni(5)							File Formats Manual							 semmni(5)

NAME
semmni - number of System V IPC system-wide semaphore identifiers VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
The tunable specifies the maximum number of System V IPC system-wide semaphore sets (and identifiers) which can exist at any given time. A single identifier (ID) is returned for each system call to create a new set of one or more (up to semaphores. If an application attempts to create a semaphore set when all IDs have previously been allocated, it will receive an error from For more information about System V semaphores, refer to the section of the sema(5) manpage. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. Note: If the DynSysVSem optional product bundle is installed then changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? If there is a requirement of more total unique semaphore IDs in the system, or one or more applications require more semaphore IDs. There is no reason to specify more system-wide identifiers than the total of the semaphores. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? If requirements for semaphore sets (IDs) has significantly decreased, or there is a need to hard-limit applications from acquiring larger numbers of semaphore IDs. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? The following side effect applies only if the DynSysVSem optional product bundle is installed. If DynSysVSem is installed, lowering the value of this tunable increases the risk of application failure due to the inability to create more semaphore identifiers. Lowering the tunable has no effect on any active semaphore identifiers, even if the new tunable value is less than the number of semaphore identifiers already created on the system. However, no new semaphore identifiers may be created until the number of active semaphore identifiers falls below the setting of What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? All the System V semaphore tunables are interrelated and should not be treated as independent variables. The tunables must be evaluated as a system to ensure they reflect the application requirements. The semaphore tunables include and Specifically, changes in the tunable may also require changes in the tunable. Very significant changes in may also require changes in the tunable. Note: If the DynSysVSem optional product bundle is installed then the and tunables are ignored and have no effect. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by AT&T. SEE ALSO
semget(2), sema(5), semaem(5), semmns(5), semmnu(5), semmsl(5), semume(5), semvmx(5), sysv_hash_locks(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters semmni(5)